It’s getting too hot to play the Steam Deck or Switch outside, makers warn

95°F is the top operating temperature for most user electronics. The M1 and M2 MacBook Air and Pro laptops are rated for use in temps up to 95°F. The PlayStation Vita was also rated up to 95°F. All iPhone 13 variants are rated for up to 95°F.

If you want something that's guaranteed to work in 100+ temps, get a Toughbook from Panasonic. Most models are rated up to around 120°F.

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

Don’t get a tough book however if you ever want to open it up and take the hard drive out. My GOODNESS.

Oh yeah, don't ever buy one unless you absolutely need to. We sent them off to military clients in, like, Afghanistan. Nobody else needs a Tough Book. I was just making a point that nothing outside of specialized electronics like a Toughbook is rated to work in 100+ weather. They also usually aren't rated to work in freezing temps either.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Oh yeah, don't ever buy one unless you absolutely need to. We sent them off to military clients in, like, Afghanistan. Nobody else needs a Tough Book. I was just making a point that nothing outside of specialized electronics like a Toughbook isn't rated to work in 100+ weather. They also usually aren't rated to work in freezing temps either.

Yeah, it’s just you brought back some ptsd from last year decommissioning some of them! Things drove me fucking nuts.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah, it’s just you brought back some ptsd from last year decommissioning some of them! Things drove me fucking nuts.

I outsource that grunt work. Find yourself a good e-waste recycler and then never let them go. The guys I've been working with, I've known for 11, 12 years. Back when their CEO was part of a 3 man crew and now they manage trucks picking up e-waste from Maine down to New Jersey.

Last pile of Toughbook I needed decommissioning, I just left with them. I did get some calls about how much of a pain I'm the ass they were to tear down since they needed to pull the drives and shred them separately. I'm so sorry if you actually work/ed at ones of those e-waste facilities.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I outsource that grunt work. Find yourself a good e-waste recycler and then never let them go. The guys I've been working with, I've known for 11, 12 years. Back when their CEO was part of a 3 man crew and now they manage trucks picking up e-waste from Maine down to New Jersey.

Last pile of Toughbook I needed decommissioning, I just left with them. I did get some calls about how much of a pain I'm the ass they were to tear down since they needed to pull the drives and shred them separately. I'm so sorry if you actually work/ed at ones of those e-waste facilities.

na it was just some old stuff for the office and they were being cheap and figured I could do it, luckily I won’t have to do that sorta thing anymore. Yeah, I bet working in those places is a nightmare.

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

na it was just some old stuff for the office and they were being cheap and figured I could do it, luckily I won’t have to do that sorta thing anymore. Yeah, I bet working in those places is a nightmare.

Only complaint I ever got from them. They didn't even complain when I told them to SHRED huge ass robots designed for moving around nuclear waste at Fukushima. That was, apparently, fun. Pulling drives out of a pallet of Toughbooks? "Why? I thought we were friends."

• Haha 1

Man there was a whole ass team at the energy company I used to work at to service and keep up toughbooks, I wasn’t involved in that group but when they talked about it I thought it was just the name of some dumb custom corporate thing but TIL it’s an actual product