This gen hasn't shaped up worse than the last for big releases

crispy4000

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

There will always be naysayers, but those seem to be an outspoken minority. And yeah, Pokémon has never been a technically impressive series. They weren't even the best-looking Game Boy games back in the day, and had plenty of technical shortcomings then, too. Thankfully the gameplay is what matters, and that's why people keep coming back to the franchise. 

Or not! What do I know. :p 

I seem to remember Sun & Moon getting praise for coming closer to that for the 3DS.  Silver and Gold were pretty good looking for their time as well, on the Game Boy Color.

20 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

SNES or PS1

SNES definitely has a fantastic game library, so does Genesis IMO. PS1 does, too. Perhaps PS4 doesn’t have my favorite game library after all. :p

20 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

PS4 was ho hum outside of a few exclusives because PC has been my primary platform for a long time. 

That makes sense, but since I don’t play games on PC the PS4’s game library for me consists of its exclusives as well as all multi-platform games, indies and digital games. All of those combined make it have one of my favorite game libraries.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There was nothing mixed about the success of the PS4. 

If you are talking strictly sales numbers, you are 100% correct. Nobody can deny those units sold, that's just facts. But to what you alluded to; not many great games in its library outside of a handful of greats (which can be said about practically *any* system, to be honest) the PS4's success rides mostly on the reality that it didn't have much competition. PS4 didn't do anything extraordinary, it just kept the status quo while its competitors dove head first into an empty pool. :p Hence my "mixed results" stance. It succeeded simply by not screwing up...if we disregard the company torpedoing their admittedly awesome handheld to make that happen. 

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I seem to remember Sun & Moon getting praise for coming closer to that for the 3DS.  Silver and Gold were pretty good looking for their time as well, on the Game Boy Color.

Like I said; what do I know! :p 

6 hours ago, Enlityn said:

What consoles would, by your definition, be considered innovative and not iterative in that regard? 

He's a hardcore Nintendo fanboy.

Innovative means nothing. Great games matter.

For me, it's PS4>PS1>SNES.

SNES has some of my all time favorite games, but they are almost all Square Soft and Nintendo games. The lack of variety puts it in third, even though FFIV, FFVI, CT, SMRPG, and Earthbound would all make my top 25 of all time. 

PSX has tons of great games too, but unlike the SNES generation, a lot of it is just unplayable now and looks terrible on modern TV's. Still, I love games like Wild ARMs, Xenogears (in my top 3 all time faves), FFVII and IX, Legend of Legaia, Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Tony Hawk (pro skater came out just as my friends and I discovered Marijuana, and wow we played a lot in a cloud of smoke). 

But the PS4, I don't know how anyone calls it a mixed success. It has a library of games that is unparalleled, imo. But to each their own.

9 hours ago, Enlityn said:

What consoles would, by your definition, be considered innovative and not iterative in that regard? 

During that generation? Arguably the Wii U...but Nintendo obviously screwed that up. Previous innovations would mostly likely be stuff like the Wii, Game Boy, DS, Neo Geo...maybe Dreamcast? Or Saturn? SEGA did a lot of stuff ahead of its time.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

He's a hardcore Nintendo fanboy.

For me, it's PS4>PS1>SNES.

SNES has some of my all time favorite games, but they are almost all Square Soft and Nintendo games. The lack of variety puts it in third, even though FFIV, FFVI, CT, SMRPG, and Earthbound would all make my top 25 of all time. 

PSX has tons of great games too, but unlike the SNES generation, a lot of it is just unplayable now and looks terrible on modern TV's. Still, I love games like Wild ARMs, Xenogears (in my top 3 all time faves), FFVII and IX, Legend of Legaia, Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Tony Hawk (pro skater came out just as my friends and I discovered Marijuana, and wow we played a lot in a cloud of smoke). 

But the PS4, I don't know how anyone calls it a mixed success. It has a library of games that is unparalleled, imo. But to each their own.

Well, I'm a Nintendo fan. That's true enough. But fanboy might be a bridge too far since I preferred the PSOne over N64, hated the Wii U, and even played about the same amount of PSP as I did the DS back in the day. But you're right about one thing: innovation means nothing if great games don't come of it (see: Wii U). I don't know how anyone can say that the PS4 has an unparalleled library of games, but to each their own. :) 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Fixed

True. 

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I think a similar criticism could be levied at the open world glut of last gen AAA, to be fair.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

During that generation? Arguably the Wii U...but Nintendo obviously screwed that up. Previous innovations would mostly likely be stuff like the Wii, Game Boy, DS, Neo Geo...maybe Dreamcast? Or Saturn? SEGA did a lot of stuff ahead of its time.

Well, I'm a Nintendo fan. That's true enough. But fanboy might be a bridge too far since I preferred the PSOne over N64, hated the Wii U, and even played about the same amount of PSP as I did the DS back in the day. But you're right about one thing: innovation means nothing if great games don't come of it (see: Wii U). I don't know how anyone can say that the PS4 has an unparalleled library of games, but to each their own. :) 

True. 

Wii was definitely innovative. It made games worse as a function of its controls.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

But there isn't just open world glut. Theres a huge library of narrative focused games. 

Then I think it's also fair to say there's more to the SNES than JRPGs. ;)

Modern consoles have indies going for them, which stacks the odds in their favor, IMO.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Wii was definitely innovative. It made games worse as a function of its controls.

I'd argue it made shooters *FAR* better. It made it so much easier to aim and shoot. I can't go back to normal controls for Resident Evil 4

And some games wouldn't really be possible without the pointer controls. Trauma Center and World of Goo for example wouldn't be the same without it, and be worse for it. 

It's true that when developers just tacked on "waggle" in place of a button press, it made games worse. But for the games that used motion properly, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I agree unless the innovation enhances the games in some way. But I’m not for gimmicks, just give me great games.

What about Capcom and Konami? The SNES doesn’t have a lack of variety, it offers some of the best games of its generation covering almost every genre including action adventure games, beat ‘em ups, fighters, platformers, puzzle games, racers, shooters, RPGs, etc.

I agree that a lot of PS1 games don’t hold up well now due to their blocky and crude 3D polygon graphics, but they were really something back in the day. The PS1 is the console that really got me into JRPGs even more so than the SNES did, it has some of my all-time favorites.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Then I think it's also fair to say there's more to the SNES than JRPGs. ;)

There’s absolutely more to the SNES than JRPGs, it has some of the best action adventure games, beat ‘em ups, fighters, platformers and shooters that I’ve played.