This gen hasn't shaped up worse than the last for big releases

crispy4000

Lots has been said about the pandemic spoiling game releases and schedules.  There's obviously truth to it, especially with the state certain games launched in (like Cyperpunk 2077, Battlefield 2042) and the delays we’re seeing.  There's also fewer 'next-gen only' marquee titles than could otherwise be expected by now, but that's more difficult to pin on COVID.

Still, I feel there's a lack of perspective on this compared to the XBO and PS4 by this point.  I don't think we've seen a major difference in big game release schedules.  That's incredible if you think about it.  Just look at the lists I've compiled below. 

It could be that we're only starting to see the broader impact of the pandemic this holiday.  But 2023 is already pretty stacked, and still arguably front loaded at the moment.  (RE4, Dead Space, Redfall, Suicide Squad, Forza, BoTW2, then Starfield and FFXVI in summer.  GoW2?)

The lists contain AAA (and the occasional Hellblade-esque AA) games comparing generations.  I left out CoD since it's there every year pretty much, and Nintendo since they operate on a different timetable:

First Holiday

Spoiler

Holiday 2013
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Forza 4
Gran Turismo 6
Ryse: Son of Rome
Killer Instinct (early access)
(ports of Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, etc)

Holiday 2020
Demon’s Souls
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Astro’s Playroom
Sackboy A Big Adventure
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
(ports/patches of Devil May Cry 5, Gears Tactics, Watch Dogs Legions, Gears 5, etc)

First Full Calendar Year

Spoiler

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Far Cry 4
Alien: Isolation
Destiny
Forza Horizon 2
Infamous Second Son
Assassin's Creed Unity
Sunset Overdrive
The Evil Within
(ports of GTAV, Last of Us, Diablo III, etc)

Resident Evil Village
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Returnal
Deathloop
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Psychonauts 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Far Cry 6
Hitman 3

Tales of Arise
Life Is Strange: True Colors
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
It Takes Two
(ports/patches of Cyperpunk 2077, FF7 Remake, Ghosts of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, etc)

Second Calendar Year to June (now)

Spoiler

1st half of 2015
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Bloodborne
Yakuza 0
Life Is Strange
Batman: Arkham Knight
(port of Dark Souls II)

1st half of 2022
Elden Ring
Horizon: Forbidden West
Dying Light 2
The Quarry
Ghostwire Toyko
Gran Turismo 7
(patch of Cyberpunk 2077)

Anyone else agree or disagree?  Anything big I'm missing here?

• crispy4000 changed the title to This gen hasn't shaped up worse than the last for big releases

They’re not necessarily worlds apart but that late 2013 to 2015 stretch was probably the worst stretch of gaming releases in, i dunno, close to two decades probably. 

It’s not really a “start of the generation” lull that is occurring, though I understand why you’d compare the eras. The indie market is a lot more mature now than it was then as well, so we have a lot more of a trickle of quality games. 

That shadow of Mordor year was hot garbage. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

28 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

They’re not necessarily worlds apart but that late 2013 to 2015 stretch was probably the worst stretch of gaming releases in, i dunno, close to two decades probably. 

It’s not really a “start of the generation” lull that is occurring, though I understand why you’d compare the eras. The indie market is a lot more mature now than it was then as well, so we have a lot more of a trickle of quality games. 

I love calling it the shadow of mordor year because it just sums it up right there!

Gaming rocks right now so I think I agree all is fine!

• Haha 1

What weird comparisons imo.

Like I would not put 2015 and 2022 first halves as even at all.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Horizon: Forbidden West
Dying Light 2
The Quarry
Ghostwire Toyko
Gran Turismo 7

I don't consider these games to be worth a damn, like at all. ER is good, but 2015 has TW3 and fuckin' BB. And I haven't played any game listed on the 2021 list while 2014 has a lot of garbage like AC:U and DA:I. And tbh, I don't think Sunset Overdrive was a good game either. Destiny was fun for like 10 hours. After that first raid was over I never touched it again. 

24 minutes ago, Bacon said:

What weird comparisons imo.

Like I would not put 2015 and 2022 first halves as even at all.

I don't consider these games to be worth a damn, like at all. ER is good, but 2015 has TW3 and fuckin' BB. 

IMO, any shortcoming this year so far are kind of nullified by 2021.  It’s not such steep drop off to suspect something pandemic related either, which is my larger point.

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I actually think industry expansion since the start of last gen has something to do with it.  More development struggles, but more big games in development perhaps?  It’s not just indies.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Also in that period one of the big 3 was casually sticking its head up its ass, so there was even more pressure on the other two platforms. 

Because many of the best games that year were on a failed console. ;)

Late 2020 to 2022 has been out of control with releases. I've finally had some time to play older games again.

And I love that something like The Forgotten City (forgotten in the OP as well) is indie; what a long way indie games have come.

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Also in that period one of the big 3 was casually sticking its head up its ass, so there was even more pressure on the other two platforms. 

One of the big 3?

Both Nintendo and MS seemed to be trying to completely destroy their platforms. 

The xbox Mattrick era will forever be something to joke about. 

• Halal 1

I don’t know if we’ll ever truly know how much Covid impacted game development. Yes Cyberpunk was a mess, but the amount of time it’s taken them to get the game just playable almost makes me think the game would have been a dumpster fire anyways. Especially on base consoles. 

Maybe Halo Infinite could have release with MP, Campaign, co-op, theater mode, and Forge on day one if it wasn’t for Covid. But then again it’s still 343, so maybe not. 

we know some games did get delayed a bit due to the struggles of switching to a WFH model. It’s probable that some games saw a delay in pre-production for the same reasons,  which delays when the final product is ready. 

• Halal 1

I think one thing that really helps is this Gen on consoles is more like how PC handles “generations” more than ever before. 

more games got upgrades, and those upgrades for the most part are not being treated as new/different versions. The existing version just got better. 

so you can keep playing your existing games, and it feels like more than ever cross gen has been a thing. So people who can’t find new units or just are still holding on can keep on playing. 

the result is everyone’s libraries are still growing and only take the 1 purchase to have any version of the game you need. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I don’t know if we’ll ever truly know how much Covid impacted game development. Yes Cyberpunk was a mess, but the amount of time it’s taken them to get the game just playable almost makes me think the game would have been a dumpster fire anyways. Especially on base consoles. 

Maybe Halo Infinite could have release with MP, Campaign, co-op, theater mode, and Forge on day one if it wasn’t for Covid. But then again it’s still 343, so maybe not. 

we know some games did get delayed a bit due to the struggles of switching to a WFH model. It’s probable that some games saw a delay in pre-production for the same reasons,  which delays when the final product is ready. 

I also think we'll never know how much a muted E3 factors in.

Most AAA games aren't producing stage or floor demos anymore.  It kind of sucks from a spectator standpoint.  But could help some games get to the finish line faster.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think one thing that really helps is this Gen on consoles is more like how PC handles “generations” more than ever before. 

more games got upgrades, and those upgrades for the most part are not being treated as new/different versions. The existing version just got better. 

so you can keep playing your existing games, and it feels like more than ever cross gen has been a thing. So people who can’t find new units or just are still holding on can keep on playing. 

the result is everyone’s libraries are still growing and only take the 1 purchase to have any version of the game you need. 

Also true.  It 'pads' the library in a way that's better for consumers.  But looking at those lists, I don't think this gen was compensating for much with those patches/updates either.  At launch, sure, but not so much today.

13 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

One of the big 3?

Both Nintendo and MS seemed to be trying to completely destroy their platforms. 

The xbox Mattrick era will forever be something to joke about. 

I feel all major platform holders were kicking themselves in their own ass.

Xbox: constant online, constant surveillance.

Nintendo: Wii U. ‘Nuff said.

Playstation: Torpedo’d Vita to lean completely into PS4, which had mixed results at best. 

No one was a winner. :( 

10 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Playstation: Torpedo’d Vita to lean completely into PS4, which had mixed results at best. 

I mean, PS torpedoed vita because it didn't sell, but the ps4 was smashing it. By that point the vota was on shelves 3 years. It wasn't suddenly going to be popular, no matter how much you and I like it. 

Like, you can't say the PS4 was mixed results, it has sold almost 120m, and has one of the greatest libraries in gaming.  WiiU and Xbox One are a bit pathetic, in that regard. Although I honestly think I played my WiiU more than my xbox one. I don't think ive ever owned a console that collected more dust than the One, At least until the OneX released qnd Gamepass became interesting.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, PS torpedoed vita because it didn't sell, but the ps4 was smashing it. By that point the vota was on shelves 3 years. It wasn't suddenly going to be popular, no matter how much you and I like it. 

Like, you can't say the PS4 was mixed results, it has sold almost 120m, and has one of the greatest libraries in gaming.  WiiU and Xbox One are a bit pathetic, in that regard. Although I honestly think I played my WiiU more than my xbox one. I don't think ive ever owned a console that collected more dust than the One, At least until the OneX released qnd Gamepass became interesting.

Wow, you have a very high opinion of the PS4! "One of the greatest libraries in gaming" you say? Oooookay. 

Yeah, shame about the Xbox One. I haven't bought an Xbox thing since the 360...and even with GamePass, I don't see that changing. With my Steam Deck (hopefully by August!) the necessity for an Xbox seems...well, unnecessary. And obviously the Wii U was trash from the get-go. I don't think I can stress that enough. Nintendo must be so grateful they had the 3DS to lean on. 

15 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

PlayStation was arguably the winner, the PS4 is one of the most successful video game consoles in history.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Wow, you have a very high opinion of the PS4! "One of the greatest libraries in gaming" you say? Oooookay.

The PS4 does have one of the greatest libraries in gaming IMO, the fact that I have roughly 700 games for it and there’s still more coming out that I want is a testament to that. Many of its exclusives are some of my all-time favorite games.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

PlayStation was arguably the winner, the PS4 is one of the most successful video game consoles in history.

The PS4 does have one of the greatest libraries in gaming IMO, the fact that I have roughly 700 games for it and there’s still more coming out that I want is a testament to that. Many of its exclusives are some of my all-time favorite games.

That’s cool. Enjoy!

On 7/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Sometimes I forget we even have "next gen" consoles. Probably over 75% of the games I play on PS5 are just ps4 games with a PS5 patch. Have we seen the full power of a PS5 or Series X developed game yet? 

• True 1

13 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Pfft, can't even play Breath of the Wild or Pokémon on the thing. Get outta here...! :p 

Correct. We have much better games. 

I love BotW, but pokemon is trash.

And yes, ps4 has the best library in gaming. No other console comes close.

15 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Since when has Pokémon stopped being half-baked / disappointing?

That has literally never happened. Want proof? Take a look at review scores and sales. Case closed. ;) 

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

With some hacks you probably could.

LOL. Okay, fine...if you take into account hacks/pirating, you can play practically anything on anything! Irrelevant, dood. :D 

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Correct. We have much better games. 

I love BotW, but pokemon is trash.

And yes, ps4 has the best library in gaming. No other console comes close.

Honestly curious, what makes you think the PS4 has the best library in gaming? You think literally NO OTHER console comes close? Really? Those are some strong words. :thinking:

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

That has literally never happened. Want proof? Take a look at review scores and sales. Case closed. ;) 

LOL. Okay, fine...if you take into account hacks/pirating, you can play practically anything on anything! Irrelevant, dood. :D 

Honestly curious, what makes you think the PS4 has the best library in gaming? You think literally NO OTHER console comes close? Really? Those are some strong words. :thinking:

I mean, look at the library. It's really easy to figure out. Spiderman, God of War, TLoU2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R, Horizon, and thats just first party and SE games. There is nothing ive seen in 35 years that comes close (aside from PC, which its hard to count, because the library spans 40+ years).

• True 1

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I’ve read way more complaints in reviews about Switch Pokémon games being half baked than 3DS’s entries.

Even Legends, the best received, got plenty of shade for its technical shortcomings compared to other open world Switch games.  There’s no excuse for that with how big of a franchise it is.

23 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, look at the library. It's really easy to figure out. Spiderman, God of War, TLoU2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R, Horizon, and thats just first party and SE games. There is nothing ive seen in 35 years that comes close (aside from PC, which its hard to count, because the library spans 40+ years).

Not even PS2? That system and its games had way more of an impact on the industry than the PS4. 

And to be clear, I'm not saying the PS4 doesn't have good games - far from it! (you didn't even list Bloodborne! That's usually people's #1 mention!) I just personally feel what the PS4 has done isn't revolutionary or anything. It has good games, but I just get the vibe that it gets WAY more praise than it deserved. And it sold well basically by default. It's competition at the time was the Xbone and the Wii U, for crying out loud. :p 

21 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I’ve read way more complaints in reviews about Switch Pokémon games being half baked than 3DS’s entries.

Even Legends, the best received, got plenty of shade for its technical shortcomings compared to other open world Switch games.  There’s no excuse for that with how big of a franchise it is.

There will always be naysayers, but those seem to be an outspoken minority. And yeah, Pokémon has never been a technically impressive series. They weren't even the best-looking Game Boy games back in the day, and had plenty of technical shortcomings then, too. Thankfully the gameplay is what matters, and that's why people keep coming back to the franchise. 

Or not! What do I know. :p 

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Not even PS2?

PS2 and Xbox 360 come close for me personally, but PS4 still has the slight edge over them IMO.

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

it sold well basically by default. It's competition at the time was the Xbone and the Wii U, for crying out loud. :p 

True. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

PS4 has some standouts, but nowhere near close to my favorite library of all time.

But at 120 million units sold, it's hard to say it had "mixed results."

It sold well, sure. No one said otherwise.

But even your post here supports my theory; the system has its standouts, but having the best library of games of all time? Nah. And even some of the "standouts" had their flaws and missteps which upset fans and critics. Hence, mixed results. 

But yeah, Playstation's bottom line is solid. PS4 sold very well. Unfortunately at the expense of the Vita (supposedly), but perhaps the end justifies the means.