Suicide Squad: The Ayer Cut possibly incoming

• silentbob changed the title to The Suicide Squad: The Ayer Cut possibly incoming
  • silentbob changed the title to Suicide Squad: The Ayer Cut possibly incoming
1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, I'll watch it, Ayer's made some good (and sometimes some not so good) shit in the past. Let's see.

I think he does better with tightly focused stories (Fury and End of Watch are both fucking phenomenal movies), I think he struggles a bit more with more broad scoped narratives. Suicide Squad is already that, and they think it would be better by making it even bigger and broader?

I have my doubts, but whatever, I'll watch it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think he does better with tightly focused stories (Fury and End of Watch are both fucking phenomenal movies), I think he struggles a bit more with more broad scoped narratives. Suicide Squad is already that, and they think it would be better by making it even bigger and broader?

I have my doubts, but whatever, I'll watch it.

According to Ayer, his original version was a much grimier, dirtier film, akin to Ayer's cop films Training Day, Harsh Times, Street Kings, and End of Watch. I agree with you that for me, Training Day, End of Watch, and Fury are top tier films, great in every respect. I also think Harsh Times and Street Kings are both very good, but a step below the aforementioned three films. I imagine this would be within reason in terms of "grimier ands dirtier", given it would still be a superhero film to some degree. 

Now Sabotage and Suicide Squad were average to bad films, though Ayer claims that producers and the studio interfered heavily with both films. I can kinda sorta see good versions of both films if allowed much longer running times, better editing, etc. However, after Fury, Ayer's made four bad films in a row with Sabotage, Suicide Squad, Bright, and The Tax Collector (Bright wasn't bad more than it was just pretty bland). I know a lot of people made fun of it but Zack Snyder's cut of Justice League was miles better (if over long and without the clear sequel it sets up) than the theatrical cut we got. I'm all for seeing what that means for Suicide Squad if it was similarly hacked away at.

• Halal 1