Brandon Sanderson: It's time to come clean (he's a complete sicko, jesus christ)

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Brandon Sanders: It's time to come clean (he's a complete sicko, jesus christ)
  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Brandon Sanderson: It's time to come clean (he's a complete sicko, jesus christ)
9 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

should also note that it's a killer deal if you are a fan of his work, 60 bucks for copies of both the ebook and audio copies for 4 novels! 

Yeah, it's a good deal for the audio and ebooks, but the hardcovers are quite expensive. And if you want them shipped to Canada...the shipping alone is $180.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, it's a good deal for the audio and ebooks, but the hardcovers are quite expensive. And if you want them shipped to Canada...the shipping alone is $180.

the shipping is indeed nuts, as for the hardcovers being expensive, yes but then it's not being done from a major imprint and so they'll be somewhat pricey to print, it's now just shy of 16 mil not bad for just over a day of being live. This will definitely be his biggest payday. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I’m guessing they didn’t anticipate just how many they would sell. I bet the printing on a quality hardcover in the low thousands is ridiculously expensive, but it looks like he is more in the 30k range now.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That shipping is certainly not out of the ordinary for ex-US kickstarters.

To Canada it is! Typically Canadians pay the same as Americans since our postal services are intertwined. Even if it required parcel shipping with a private carrier, it should be something like $10-$20 per book, not $40-$50!

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I remember when a female YA author started a kickstarter, people thought she was being greedy, she got doxxed, people took aerial drone photos of her house to prove… something… and she’s never published under that pen name again. Good times.

don't recall that all but that sucks

as for Brandon's KS....it's now blown past 22 million and is the most successful kickstarter of all time. Now the question is just how high will it go

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know all the details but Brandon already had some small scale publishing "house" right? But really it only served him in a limited capacity, it's not like they were publishing books on a wide scale.

For something like this it almost seems like Brandon is going to have to create a full grown business.

Hell, books get on the Times list nowadays for low hundreds of thousands in sales, I think. At 41 million that means Brandon is going to be attempting to ship at least a few million actual, physical books, right?

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I don't know all the details but Brandon already had some small scale publishing "house" right? But really it only served him in a limited capacity, it's not like they were publishing books on a wide scale.

For something like this it almost seems like Brandon is going to have to create a full grown business.

Hell, books get on the Times list nowadays for low hundreds of thousands in sales, I think. At 41 million that means Brandon is going to be attempting to ship at least a few million actual, physical books, right?

He has a publishing company but they mainly do special high end editions of his books. This will definitely be their biggest project and he's having trouble finding a warehouse as their current one won't be able to handle this capacity. Also his local post office called him up like on the first or second day of the kickstarter to tell him there was no way in hell they could handle that capacity :lol:

as for Time bestseller list, low hundreds of thousands??? You can hit the top 10 with less than 20K. Heck depending on the category fiction/nonfiction. hardcover you can hit the top 10 with less than 10K

But as for these books, since they are being sold direct to the consumer, unless Brandon and his team have made a deal to have retail copies available when they launch (which is possible as one of his people yesterday talked about potential deals being worked on with foreign publishers), these books likely won't qualify to be on the bestseller list.