Nintendo Gonna Nintendo

SimpleG

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Platform fighters will likely be dead to EVO (and Nintendo) until a new Smash is out.

I would personally love to see that Nickelodeon game in there. A bunch of drunken manchildren huddled around a bunch of screens screaming at Jimmy Neutron to beat the fuck out of Spongebob would make EVO a lot more appealing to me.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Important to remember that Nintendo teamed up with Panda to make their own tournament so they'll probably have a bigger show than Evo.

I know next to nothing of Panda, so how does this compare EVO? And what reasons would Nintendo have for going this route, and partnering with Panda in this case?

9 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

I know next to nothing of Panda, so how does this compare EVO?

Panda is just the exports organization and they've been doing smash have sponsored smash tournaments since 2015. How it compares, well it would be a tournament of one game instead of one game hosted at a big tournament of other games.

12 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

And what reasons would Nintendo have for going this route, and partnering with Panda in this case?

I'm sure there are many reasons.

1. Remember Evo was originally run by a bunch of pedos so they could be thinking about distancing themselves from the brand even now.

2. Now it's run by Sony, maybe to them they think it's weird to have their game associated with a Sony event.

This partnership was announced back in November so the time between now and the announcement in this thread is pretty far apart but if they are doing it legit it could be big. The smash audience is quite large for evo so getting their own event is a pretty big deal.

The only esport I followed for a while was Hearthstone, and one thing I feel pretty confident about is that more big tournaments the better. Having more competitions ups the level of play by incentivizing players, keeps a more consistent audience (which itself brings in more money -> more players), and is just generally beneficial to the health of the competitive gaming scene. Having big multi-game events then feed into the single game ones was crucial, and the times when that wasn't happening was a drain on the whole game.

I know Nintendo just generally doesn't care about esports, but preventing big events from playing your game just seems like a negative in every possible way.

22 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Panda is just the exports organization and they've been doing smash have sponsored smash tournaments since 2015. How it compares, well it would be a tournament of one game instead of one game hosted at a big tournament of other games.

I'm sure there are many reasons.

1. Remember Evo was originally run by a bunch of pedos so they could be thinking about distancing themselves from the brand even now.

2. Now it's run by Sony, maybe to them they think it's weird to have their game associated with a Sony event.

This partnership was announced back in November so the time between now and the announcement in this thread is pretty far apart but if they are doing it legit it could be big. The smash audience is quite large for evo so getting their own event is a pretty big deal.

Interesting. At that rate, it's probably more to do with it being owned by Sony than who the original founders were if I'm honest.

• 8 months later...

I don’t really understand how Nintendo can prevent such competitions besides through bullying tactics. I wish a good law firm would take up their case pro bono if Nintendo sued as I want more challenges to software license agreement nonsense.