Airbnb owners are hustlers and I kind of respect it

Fizzzzle

I don't have a permanent home in new Orleans yet and today I had to move from one place to another. I was staying at a hostel and I'm moving to an Airbnb. I texted the owner like "hey, I know check in time is at 4, but I'm like... Just chilling a few blocks away, ready to go whenever the place is." She immediately said yeah that's fine, that'll be $75 for early check in, so I said sure. Within 30 seconds she said I can check in now.

Like... I've never had a hotel charge me for early check in, especially when the place is already set up.

11 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Like, how early was your check-in? I think there important to include to give us the full context.

The check in was at 4, I had to be out of my last place at 11, so I had 5 hours to just sit on my ass with all of my bags and shit. If I didn't have anything with me, that would be one thing, I would just go hang out and check places out, but not when I have a giant ass bag that I'm lugging around with me.

So it was like "hey, let me know whenever the place is ready, I can come in early." She said "alright, let me check, that'll be $75." I said "okay," and she was like "yeah, you can come in."

Like... she could have just told me that for free, but she didn't. and I respect that.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The check in was at 4, I had to be out of my last place at 11, so I had 5 hours to just sit on my ass with all of my bags and shit. If I didn't have anything with me, that would be one thing, I would just go hang out and check places out, but not when I have a giant ass bag that I'm lugging around with me.

So it was like "hey, let me know whenever the place is ready, I can come in early." She said "alright, let me check, that'll be $75." I said "okay," and she was like "yeah, you can come in."

Like... she could have just told me that for free, but she didn't. and I respect that.

Okay, 75 bucks for 5 hours makes more sense. I originally assumed it was for 2-3 hours.

56 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Or she could have been a decent human being and not a greedy piece of shit

31 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Most hotels allow you to do this.

Sometimes though people do it to get away with stuff.

Correct

"Hey its 8am and I know check in is at 4 , can we just drop off our bags"

"Sure"

9am

" We are just gonna take a quick nap, then we will leave"

11am

" Sorry but the kids wanted to take a dip in the pool before we go"

12pm

"kids are cleaning up and then we are out"

1pm

"kids are really lagged , just gonna order a pizza and stay in"

Hosts live and die by the rating they get and people know this so they will abuse shit to get ahead.

5 hours ago, Rachel said:

I don’t think that’s what he meant, I think he was talking about a hotel. Or maybe I’m dumb. 

I was talking about a Hotel, but SimpleG elaborated on it for Airbnb places.

To elaborate on my example (since I worked at a hotel) there were some people who would check their bags but didn't actually ever get a room there. So they used their checked bags as a trick to hang around without ever actually having a room there.