Jeff Garlin leaves 'The Goldbergs' after HR investigations into on-set activities, source says crew is "ecstatic"

SaysWho?

Garlin.jpeg?w=620
DEADLINE.COM

Jeff Garlin is departing 'The Goldbergs' following multiple misconduct allegations and HR investigations.

“He is extremely verbally and emotionally abusive,” a Goldbergs employee told Deadline.

In his VF interview, Garlin dismissed accusations of being verbally offensive by saying that he is just being “silly” as part of his shtick as a comedian. He did note his penchant for dropping the word “vagina” on the set.

According to a source on the show, a camera assistant made a complaint to her department head about Garlin’s use of the word. After the actor found out, he reportedly put his hands around her and kept saying “vagina” in her face over and over again. Overall, Garlin’s go-to jokes that a number of people on the show found offensive were talking about grandma’s vagina, balls and brassier, a co-worker said. Additionally, he would not address some longtime female crew members by name, using instead nicknames that some also considered offensive.

The VF interview addresses an incident involving Garlin and two longtime stand-ins on the show, a married couple who are beloved by the cast and crew.

Garlin referred to it as “a joke that was completely missed — because I like this guy. I like his wife. I’ve worked with them for years.”

According to an eyewitness of the incident, Garlin did not appear to be joking as he walked behind the female stand-in. “He screamed at her, ‘Why are you always in my way? Get the f*ck out of my way’ as she was walking down the ramp on the set after they had done blocking for a scene. She was confused and looked around.” Garlin then turned to the woman’s husband, saying, “Tell your wife to get the f*ck out of my way.”

According to sources, cast and crew were appalled, and “this was the straw that broke the camel’s back” in terms of their tolerance for Garlin’s antics, leading to new HR complaints.

According to eyewitnesses, executives came to the set last night to congratulate The Goldbergs cast and crew on the show’s 200th episode and address “the elephant in the room,” revealing Garlin’s exit.

“It feels a little surreal that he will never be here again but the mood on the set is ecstatic,” one person said. “In fact several people cheered when the execs said that Jeff would not be returning.”

Considering he's the patriarch of the family on 'The Goldbergs,' there's only one thing to do.

200.gif

• SaysWho? changed the title to Jeff Garlin leaves 'The Goldbergs' after HR investigations into on-set activities, source says crew is "ecstatic"

The show probably should've ended a couple of seasons ago. As an 80s kid, I enjoyed it, but I feel it overstayed it's welcome. Disappointing to hear about Garlin's behavior. He was never my favorite character, but he kind of grounded the show when Adam, Barry and mom were getting a little silly. 

I had a boss like this... he had a whole, "I'm such an asshole, ha ha" schtick all the time... problem is, there really isn't much of a distinction between being an asshole to be funny and being an actual asshole. It's also not funny to anyone but the person being an asshole and power dynamics really come into play here.

19 hours ago, ort said:

I had a boss like this... he had a whole, "I'm such an asshole, ha ha" schtick all the time... problem is, there really isn't much of a distinction between being an asshole to be funny and being an actual asshole. It's also not funny to anyone but the person being an asshole and power dynamics really come into play here.

Yeah it's one of the reasons hanging with comedians can be insufferable and hanging with folks who THINK they are comedians is even worse. Fuckers don't know how to turn that shit off and often times don't care. Anywho... since this its own thread now.

Jeff-Garlin-1.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

Jeff Garlin, who is departing "The Goldbergs," following an investigation into his behavior, joked about his disdain for the show.