Miramax sues Quentin Tarantino over ‘Pulp Fiction’ NFTs

Jason

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm still tryin g to figure out what NFT's are.

I think I understand them, I just don't understand the people trying to spin them as "investments." Like your NFT gains value over time for... why, exactly?

Like, I understand why my game collection is selling for as much as it is. I'm selling things that literally no one will ever make again. You can obviously just download a copy of a retro game for an emulator if simply playing the game is your only goal, but the amount of physical copies of the game are already in existence; there will be no more. An NFT is an easily copy-able piece of digital "property," which by definition has no inherent value beyond sentiment. I could copy and sell the property as many times as I like without changing the properties of the... property. I can't do that with a physical copy of a game, book, painting, or whatever, and that is what gives it value. They have a fixed existence.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm still tryin g to figure out what NFT's are.

It's a link with an associated unique identifier (the "token") that in some sense can be "owned." 

The current scam is selling them as links to pictures similar to any old collectible card from back in the day (anything from cabbage patch to beanie babies to pokemon cards), but predicating the idea that the NFT makes that image completely unusable by anyone else. Then they sell that fake exclusivity. 

Of course anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of how the web operates knows that the idea of a picture you can show and nobody else can save is fundamentally preposterous, but that's why it's a scam. Still though the people who get scammed keep lining up to get scammed over and over again, it gives me real pause as to the direction of my career.