Rocky IV: Rocky V. Drago Ultimate Director's Cut

SoberChef

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Over 40 minutes of additional footage! Huge fan of this film, and quite possibly the one in the series I have seen most. Anxiously awaiting this next week, figured I'd share it for the older crowd or those cinefiles who are fans of directors re-editing their older films.

Me and my boys already got tickets.

• Like 1

1985 was the peak year for Reagan-era propaganda films starring Sylvester Stallone with both Rocky IV AND Rambo: First Blood Part II!

I went to see Rocky IV with a friend of mine and because we were both smart-ass kids, we both stood up during this part where the Soviet national anthem was played:

Other members of the audience yelled at us "SIT YOUR COMMIE ASSES DOWN!" :rofl:

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

1985 was the peak year for Reagan-era propaganda films starring Sylvester Stallone with both Rocky IV AND Rambo: First Blood Part II!

I went to see Rocky IV with a friend of mine and because we were both smart-ass kids, we both stood up during this part where the Soviet national anthem was played:

Other members of the audience yelled at us "SIT YOUR COMMIE ASSES DOWN!" :rofl:

lisa simpson GIF

So went to the theater, apparently there was to be a live Q&A session that began at 7:30p, however when I arrived at 7:45p, they were having audio/video connection/quality issues. Finally the film began at 8p, ran for roughly 3 minutes then it all went out so I had to get a refund & apparently it will be available digitally tomorrow, so I'll just watch it this weekend.

For those that may have attended tonight, how was it?

3 hours ago, SoberChef said:

So went to the theater, apparently there was to be a live Q&A session that began at 7:30p, however when I arrived at 7:45p, they were having audio/video connection/quality issues. Finally the film began at 8p, ran for roughly 3 minutes then it all went out so I had to get a refund & apparently it will be available digitally tomorrow, so I'll just watch it this weekend.

For those that may have attended tonight, how was it?

It was cool. There was a live Q&A from Philly that Sly did before the film. I thought the original cut was better than this one though. A lot of strange choices here... like cutting Bridgitte Nielsen out of the movie completely pretty much. Original cut is better.

Just got done watching and this was phenomenally better, remarkably so in my opinion. Granted, there was less Bridgitte (guessing possibly because well, ex wife and all that perhaps?) but I didn't necessarily focus on that. Yeah, Drago was more humanized in a way that showed a glimmer of internal conflict that I inferred from the performance, this struggle of "for the people" vs. "for myself". Also, why in the actual hell was that funeral scene cut the way it was back in 1985!? I legitimately cried from it! Overall, I have to say I prefer this cut BUT there is one thing that is completely & totally un-fucking-acceptable

Spoiler

Where's my damn Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas song dammit!?

Just finished watching it via Prime. Been a while since I've seen the original, but this version clearly felt leaner (despite the added footage), and much more focused. The pacing actually makes it feel like it moves faster, but I did like the character moments. I think it fits in now better tonally with the prior films.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Just finished watching it via Prime. Been a while since I've seen the original, but this version clearly felt leaner (despite the added footage), and much more focused. The pacing actually makes it feel like it moves faster, but I did like the character moments. I think it fits in now better tonally with the prior films.

It's actually only two minutes longer than the original (93 minutes vs 91 minutes).

I dunno... there was some real weird choices in this one. Like Rocky's speech at the end... they cut a key line in that speech that was in the orginal that really sold what he was saying about people changing that lessened the impact of the speech. Also because they cut the Robot, we also missed some key scenes with his son that are gone from this cut. His weird internal voice when he gets knocked down was completely unnecessary... and all of the montages that people complain about are still there! I don't think he made a better film... he made a different one. It's fine, but completely unnecessary. Also it opened up with a GOOD chunk of Rocky 3 for some reason but completely ignores the ending of that movie... so weird.