The Righteous Gemstones: Season 2 (HBO, 9 January 2022) - Official Teaser Trailer

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What's interesting to me is that this show and "Succession" are effectively identical thematically, but couldn't be further apart in execution.

I cannot stop thinking about the connections between the two shows. What an accurate and hilarious observation.

• Haha 1

Does anyone else feel like this season has a different vibe from the first? It’s not like everything was sunshine, lollipops and rainbows in the first season, but everyone seems worse in season 2. Not that Kelvin was ever great, but he at least seemed more sincere / less into the grift in season 1 than he is in season 2. Jesse seemed genuinely interested in making up for his fuck ups at the end of season 1; I wouldn’t expect a complete 180 but nothing really seems to have stuck. It’s not affecting my enjoyment at all, just wondering if I’m the only one that feels this way.

Walton Goggins and Jennifer Nettles remain national treasures.

I have to go back and watch the first season again but I always felt like Kelvin was in on the grift. Or at least I always saw the potential in him for grifting. There is a inherent phoniness amongst most youth posters that Adam Devine really tapped into. I'm not really surprised about his storyline for this season.

1 minute ago, Komusha said:

I have to go back and watch the first season again but I always felt like Kelvin was in on the grift. Or at least I always saw the potential in him for grifting. There is a inherent phoniness amongst most youth posters that Adam Devine really tapped into. I'm not really surprised about his storyline for this season.

It's not that he wasn't in on the grift at all... just that his interest in youth ministry seemed more sincere (not ACTUALLY sincere per se, just moreso) than Jesse's interest in the church. When Jesse and Judy were talking about how they'd split the million dollars she stole, Kelvin didn't seem to care that he was completely cut out of the loop, for example.

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The kid actors they got to play the kid versions of the kids (dumbBlondeLadyMath.gif) were so good. Especially the one doing Jesse/Danny McBride. Just flawless and spot on. Bravo to them.

Agreed. It's interesting to me that Aimee-Lee seems somewhat oblivious to what little shits her kids are (aside from Kelvin at this point) in the flashbacks, given that she's skeptical of Eli and Baby Billy doing dodgy stuff. I wonder if they'll explore that at all or if it's just typical parental blindspots.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, Kal-El814 said:

It's not that he wasn't in on the grift at all... just that his interest in youth ministry seemed more sincere (not ACTUALLY sincere per se, just moreso) than Jesse's interest in the church. When Jesse and Judy were talking about how they'd split the million dollars she stole, Kelvin didn't seem to care that he was completely cut out of the loop, for example.

I have to go back and watch the first season. I haven't seen it since it aired but I do remember him enjoying the attention that he got as a youth pastor. He seemed to care more about approval from others than money. So his story this season  with him running a body building cult makes sense to me. It's a jump but a reasonable jump. I do agree that this season feels different in the sense that it all feels heightened.

• True 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's bordering on understatement considering the most recent episode!

indeed. I didn’t think Junior was behind the Tron gang before based solely on style, and I feel more strongly about that now. Maybe it’s Eric Andre’s character, feeling snubbed by Jesse?

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

indeed. I didn’t think Junior was behind the Tron gang before based solely on style, and I feel more strongly about that now. Maybe it’s Eric Andre’s character, feeling snubbed by Jesse?

The "motorcycle ninjas" are DEFINITELY NOT Junior's style at all, that's for sure!

• True 1

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Oh it's definitely them. They meant to take out Eli in the first hit because Eli is the only thing in the way of their investment.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I started watching this show last month. Neither of us had heard of it and she randomly clicked on it on HBO Max. It's now one of our favorite shows lol. The first season was a blast. Felt like the 2nd season started off a little slower but it got much better a couple episodes in. The ending was great.

when Lyle (Eric Andre) shoves the box through the balcony and his wife is supposed to come out guns blazing

:lol:

Biggest wtf moment and I laughed so hard. 

4 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

My wife and I started watching this show last month. Neither of us had heard of it and she randomly clicked on it on HBO Max. It's now one of our favorite shows lol. The first season was a blast. Felt like the 2nd season started off a little slower but it got much better a couple episodes in. The ending was great.

Reveal hidden contents

when Lyle (Eric Andre) shoves the box through the balcony and his wife is supposed to come out guns blazing

:lol:

Biggest wtf moment and I laughed so hard. 

When they were watching the western where that happened, I assumed one of them would go out like that. Very funny.

• 5 months later...

I watched both seasons back to back. I think season 1 was better overall, but they were both great. Season 2 got a little darker but I don’t think it was that jarring. I don’t think Kelvin changed that much either. This show has some weird tonal shifts for sure. I feel like most of the characters suffer from Homer Simpson syndrome where their intelligence goes up and down as needed for humor.

I felt like it was very obvious who was behind the assassination attempts. If you watch enough TV you could see it coming from a mile away. they set those two up as big characters and then didn’t feature them at all for like 3 episodes. And they had a clear motive.

It was clear that Eric Roberts was a distraction and then you just have to ask yourself, okay, so who else can it be? It’s not gonna be someone we’ve never met. 

While part of me liked that they played with expectations by suddenly killing off Jason Swartzmans journalist character after setting him up as what looked to be a major character… but another part of me was sad because I like Jason Swartzman and I liked that character and thought having a cynical smart elitist asshole city slicker in the mix could have been fun.

This show is a lot of fun. I watched an episode a night and I was always looking forward to the next ep. Some shows are a slog but this goes down real easy. 

I read an interview with Danny McBride where he said he envisions the show going on for a long time.

• True 2

I finally watched this over two days and I definitely think this season is at least as good as the first. Maybe a little darker, but I liked that. Hope it survives the slaughter.

edit: Junior was a great addition this season, Eric Robert’s is great and Mac!