Frogger Peacock

It’s weird to put these kind of dumb fun shows on a streaming service. This is the very definition of something you only watch because you’re flipping channels and the weirdness catches your eye. I can’t imagine actually sitting down and choosing to watch this out of a long list of programs.

12 hours ago, Komusha said:

It’s weird to put these kind of dumb fun shows on a streaming service. This is the very definition of something you only watch because you’re flipping channels and the weirdness catches your eye. I can’t imagine actually sitting down and choosing to watch this out of a long list of programs.

Yeah, it's an odd choice for a show like this.  These obstacle/athletic game shows do well (Ninja Warrior, Wipeout, etc.), but they aren't really they kind of show you sit down and on-demand.  They're either on and catch your attention or not.  They aren't appointment or binge television.  Then again, Netflix is returning Floor is Lava for a second season so it's possible we're just out of touch.

17 minutes ago, Slug said:

Yeah, it's an odd choice for a show like this.  These obstacle/athletic game shows do well (Ninja Warrior, Wipeout, etc.), but they aren't really they kind of show you sit down and on-demand.  They're either on and catch your attention or not.  They aren't appointment or binge television.  Then again, Netflix is returning Floor is Lava for a second season so it's possible we're just out of touch.

Family’s and people with kids 100% binge the shit out of these shows 

40 minutes ago, Slug said:

I would binge the old episodes of Ninja Warrior if I could find them.

2 hours ago, Slug said:

Yeah I was thinking with the success of Floor is Lava there must be something I'm just not getting.

But also, I don't have kids! I totally how these would be great to watch as a family. I mostly watch Netflix alone (a single tear rolls down cheek as I type this) but I can see how these would be fun with others.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Family’s and people with kids 100% binge the shit out of these shows 

I guess, I just...like, I found the og Sasuke kind of compelling and would watch whole competitions.  Maybe I found it more interesting because it was a single event?  But like, the current one?  It just feels way more...game-showy, I guess?  Like, if I had a whole season of new Ninja Warrior to watch I feel like I would just load up the last episode to see who/if anyone wins and that'd be it.

Like, Sasuke was, "Oh no you fucked up!  Heartbreak! See you next year!"

Ninja Warrior is like, "Oh no you fucked up in the Tennessee trials we'll see you again in the Boston and maybe the Hoboken trials then the quarters, then oh no you failed again but you failed faster than the other guy so you get a spot next week in the Vegas prelims and...."

The stakes just don't feel as high.  I don't feel as personally invested in the athletes' success or failure.

1 hour ago, Slug said:

The stakes just don't feel as high.  I don't feel as personally invested in the athletes' success or failure.

They should dye the water red, that way when the athletes fall in, they'll be reminded of their failure for a couple of days when they see the red tint on their skin.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Slug said:

I guess, I just...like, I found the og Sasuke kind of compelling and would watch whole competitions.  Maybe I found it more interesting because it was a single event?  But like, the current one?  It just feels way more...game-showy, I guess?  Like, if I had a whole season of new Ninja Warrior to watch I feel like I would just load up the last episode to see who/if anyone wins and that'd be it.

Same. I was really into the original version. I think the mystique that so few people had completed the whole thing added to it? The American version I like as background noise but I don’t care about it at all. 

kinda the same thing with Iron Chef. I was WAY into the OG version. The American version just seemed lame. The chefs just seemed so meh. Honestly I think part of the problem is when they do American versions of foreign shows they over produce the shit outta them. Any charm the originals had is blasted to pieces. 

On 9/10/2021 at 11:07 AM, Komusha said:

Yeah I was thinking with the success of Floor is Lava there must be something I'm just not getting.

But also, I don't have kids! I totally how these would be great to watch as a family. I mostly watch Netflix alone (a single tear rolls down cheek as I type this) but I can see how these would be fun with others.

When the choice for family TV is either one of these shows or Daniel Tiger learns to deal with his fish dying for the thousandth time, The Floor is Lava is award-winning shit I want pumped directly into my veins. My youngest are too young to understand anything more complicated than PBS, but people falling on their faces is hilarious no matter how young you are.