Modem/router recommendations, please?

GameDadGrant

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Cable internet, and we gave the Google mesh network to help the signal across the house.

CM600_productcarousel_hero_image_tcm148-
WWW.NETGEAR.COM

This high speed DOCSIS~~®~~ 3.0 Cable Modem gives you speed to spare whether you are streaming or gaming. Save money by avoiding rental fees. Works with all major service providers.

Pick the speed that best suits your needs

Verify that it works with your ISP.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SimpleG said:
CM600_productcarousel_hero_image_tcm148-
WWW.NETGEAR.COM

This high speed DOCSIS~~®~~ 3.0 Cable Modem gives you speed to spare whether you are streaming or gaming. Save money by avoiding rental fees. Works with all major service providers.

Pick the speed that best suits your needs

Verify that it works with your ISP.

Thank you! Is there a router you’d recommend to go with this modem? I’ll need a new router, too...

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I recommend grabbing a Netgear router/wifi unit like the "NETGEAR - AC1750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router" or something newer, depending on your needs. I really like the Nighthawk series. 

I'll look into it, thanks! I'll need something that can handle a lot of streaming and online gaming. My son and daughter both game and stream online A LOT, and my wife and I do a lot of work remotely so we need a good connection for work-related stuff. And of course I use internet often for gaming, too! 

Anyone have any experience with the Nighthawk Dual-Band modem/router 2-in-1? Specifically something like this:

R7000_productcarousel_hero_image_tcm148-
WWW.NETGEAR.COM

With the Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) you get blazing-fast WiFi speeds up to 1.9Gbps and a 1GHz dual-core processor for extended range.

Eliminating the need for a modem *and* router. Any good?

@SimpleG @Mr.Vic20

I got this in 2019. Figured it would be pretty future proof for awhile with DOCSIS 3.1.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-Approved-Comcast-Gigablast-MB8600/dp/B0723599RQ

I've also had this for 5 years with zero complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-AiMesh-Router-AC1900/dp/B00FB45SI4

Though surely there's something newer and better by now.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Anyone have any experience with the Nighthawk Dual-Band modem/router 2-in-1? Specifically something like this:

WWW.NETGEAR.COM

With the Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) you get blazing-fast WiFi speeds up to 1.9Gbps and a 1GHz dual-core processor for extended range.

@SimpleG @Mr.Vic20

This may come as no shock to you, but I have one of these and its lovely! Great coverage, very fast, easy to setup and use. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

WWW.NETGEAR.COM

@SimpleG @Mr.Vic20

Unless you have a specific reason I see no point in the wi fi. The google mesh should provide you with wi fi once it’s hooked up modem/router. 

8 hours ago, SimpleG said:

It should be modem to google mesh

You are going modem to nighthawk (which has its own WiFi) to mesh ( which has its own WiFi). It’s not a huge deal

Okay. Well, let's see how this plays out. I actually just recently got my electric power to my house turned back on (got knocked out due to recent storm(s) here in the Detroit area) and right now my old Netgear stuff is working pretty well. Still gonna upgrade my hardware because it's ANCIENT at this point but I'm not at a rush to do so now, at least. But definitely happening before the end of the month. (probably next week)

8 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Sort by price high to low and buy the top one 

I do that with all the things I buy. That's why I got such a great wife. Hey-oh! :p