Final Fantasy XIV: DAWNTRAIL 6/28/24 - Yo-Kai Watch event is LIVE!

Bacon

I let my sub lapse about 2 months ago and have been occupied with a lot of other games. I was hoping to get caught up so I could join the end Walker zeitgeist, but I’ll never make it now. I have 1.5 expansions to finish before that + all the interstitial stuff which takes longer than you’d think. 

But that’s ok. I’ll get to it when I get to it. Probably after December. 

• Bacon changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - Mark Spoilers - Early Access Begins Dec 3 1AM/4am EST

So, there was dumb shit during the last few missions. Like the writers try to do the exact same thing 5 times in a row.  But fuck was this game good. Choked up a few times. Honestly, this got me pretty good. Don't click on this if you haven't beaten EW if you care about spoilers. 

Spoiler

Literally, the final credit in the game isn't towards any developer, but to you, and your character. You get the final credit in the credits. Made me feel amazing. 

QadkkVx.png 

A better reward than any item they could have given me. 

This game, by far, it is not even close, is the best Final Fantasy game ever. Well, it has the best story out of any FF game at least. It is great how personal they make it if you actual feel invested in your character and you allies. FFXIV is a one of a kind experience that you won't get from another game. You won't get it from another MMO, and you won't get it from another JRPG. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it is pretty good but there are a bunch of little issues that make it clear that it was a bit rushed. I'll go into very, very vague spoilers that won't even spoil anything unless you are a mastermind. But at around level 83, there is an event we all knew would happen but maybe not at this point in time. It is something that only the main character/Warrior of Light/you encounter.  However, afterward, I feel that your allies do not act a... well you would expect a bit more of a reaction from many characters but it is kinda glossed over to continue on with the other parts of the plot. 

There are also a few times where I just think the writing wasn't great. Some unfortunately right before the final story mission. I will mark this although I'll be keeping it vague. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

There are certain events where you know things are going to be all right. Bad things are happening non-stop but you, the player, KNOW FOR A FACT it will all be OK. However, your character and allies have fallen into despair.  There is no emotional weight because you know all of it is a non-issue. People have defended this saying that it was purposefully done this way. But that just makes it worse, IMO. Your character is your avatar into this world. Your emotions often match that of your character because how your character feels is often left to you to decide. But not this time. Your character feels sad. Like they are at the end of their rope. But you know that is not the case. You don't feel what your character feels. 

And like for a game that is about the world ending, you really don't feel the kind of urgency the end of the world should be bringing. I'd say Shadowbringers is easily better than Endwalker, but Endwalker is my second favorite expansion. There are a lot of great things about EW. Maybe a bit too fan service-y at times but most of it is pretty great. It is pretty easy to ignore the missteps they made with the moment-to-moment story for the greater overall story. 

There is actually one great comparison that I and many others have made when it comes to Shadowbringers and Endwalker. But that is actually spoilers. 

Spoiler

Shadowbringers is to Infinity War as Endwalker is to Endgame. And there are many who, like me, prefer Infinity War over Endgame. Endgame and Endwalker also share some story issues. 

If Shadowbringers is a 10/10 Endwalker is a 9/10. And even with that lower score, the ending to this particular saga is 10/10 without a doubt. Just some of the other parts before the very end bring it down a notch, especially when you have time to think it over. Maybe if you just played it and never thought about it would be better than Shadowbingers. 

• Bacon changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - Fuck off, we're full!
8 hours ago, best3444 said:

@Bacon how have the visuals held up? When I was playing it it looked great but that was a few years ago.

Well, I've never thought the game looked that amazing so... I mean, the new zones do look pretty darn good considering engine and PS4 limitations. You could say there are some visually striking zones, but not due to graphical fidelity. And the lighting and shadows are still majorly flawed. Shadows have always been especially bad and EW does nothing to fix it. 

• Thanks 1

• Bacon changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
49 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Well well well look at Big Dick Johnson over here making it to the top of the hell tower!

I just AFK'd there for like 3 hours while I did other stuff. I basked in the height!

It is sickening how many people I watched Self-Destruct with BLU and then have a guy at the very top rez them. SAD!

• Sicko Sherman 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shit took me like 10 or more hours to get of near constant play. I am not the greatest player, but holy shit some of these fucking people are brain dead. I didn't see a clear on EX4 until like 7.5 hours of prog. I hit enrage pretty early on in all. But the issue is that almost every time a group of mine hit enrage someone suddenly had to leave. This happened many times. So I was constantly having to join new parties, and every time we were actually close to killing the boss people would quit. It was so damn frustrating to have to join new parties over and over again when the boss was dead next pull or so. To make it worse, I swear these fucking people are omega liars. I kept joining groups that had made it to at least phase 3 of the fight, but these dumb motherfuckers were fucking dying to the stupid stack mechanics that would happen before the fight was even halfway over. They would either die to enumeration, which is very tight 2-man stack mechanic, or the fuckers would fuck up the stack mechanic where the healers and DPS had to head south away from the tanks who will flare out damage based on proximity. 

Don't get me wrong, mistakes can happen. I made mistakes. Twice I went to the wrong AoE-spread positions. I don't even really know why. I just fucked up. But the issue is people just kept making the same mistakes over and over again even in different parties where the players had claimed to have progressed far into the fight or even enrage. Shit is annoying. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I know you absolutely love this game and I would get into scenarios like that when I played this. Those kind of experiences are what drove me away from MMORPG's.

Regardless, sorry to hear. 

I mean, doing the fight is fun in its own way. The 5 clears I have done in total felt great to clear. I just wish the other players had more commitment to clearing the fight. I'll never understand how you can see enrage and then claim, "sorry, gtg. glad to see enrage ( " You have made it to the final stage of the fight and all you need to do is down the boss. How can you just leave? And when one person leaves, other people leave for no reason. Just stick around you fucks. 

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Shit took me like 10 or more hours to get of near constant play. I am not the greatest player, but holy shit some of these fucking people are brain dead. I didn't see a clear on EX4 until like 7.5 hours of prog. I hit enrage pretty early on in all. But the issue is that almost every time a group of mine hit enrage someone suddenly had to leave. This happened many times. So I was constantly having to join new parties, and every time we were actually close to killing the boss people would quit. It was so damn frustrating to have to join new parties over and over again when the boss was dead next pull or so. To make it worse, I swear these fucking people are omega liars. I kept joining groups that had made it to at least phase 3 of the fight, but these dumb motherfuckers were fucking dying to the stupid stack mechanics that would happen before the fight was even halfway over. They would either die to enumeration, which is very tight 2-man stack mechanic, or the fuckers would fuck up the stack mechanic where the healers and DPS had to head south away from the tanks who will flare out damage based on proximity. 

Don't get me wrong, mistakes can happen. I made mistakes. Twice I went to the wrong AoE-spread positions. I don't even really know why. I just fucked up. But the issue is people just kept making the same mistakes over and over again even in different parties where the players had claimed to have progressed far into the fight or even enrage. Shit is annoying. 

Bro get in an FC or a static, don't pug extremes on launch week, you trying to pop a blood vessel? I mean, I've cleared plenty of stuff with randoms but it's always both less fun and vastly more time consuming than with people who don't have to randomly leave every 3 pulls. Party finder shit turns the super fast raids this game has into WoW raids, where you spend like half the night forming and reforming parties and waiting to fight the boss instead of just fighting the boss.