A lot of you choads are gonna be upset you voted against GEOTUS after reading this thread.

Not for nothing, how does one “ban” crypto?  Is the hope that you eliminate the huge GPU farms that take up entire factories which essentially dries up the market and all that’s left is singular randos and smaller under the radar setups?  I’m as in favor of getting rid of crypto as anyone else, but torrents are illegal too it’s not like they stopped.

35 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Not for nothing, how does one “ban” crypto?  Is the hope that you eliminate the huge GPU farms that take up entire factories which essentially dries up the market and all that’s left is singular randos and smaller under the radar setups?  I’m as in favor of getting rid of crypto as anyone else, but torrents are illegal too it’s not like they stopped.

You could ban exchanges and any other service that lets you get involved, like Robinhood, from operating in the US or having anything to do with US persons. That would do a lot of damage to crypto values by itself and if the US really wanted to wave its dick around on the matter it could probably strongarm other western countries/other allies into doing the same. Just like with the federal ban on online poker, it won't completely stop people from finding ways to be involved (I'm talking about people playing on European sites, not people playing on the NJ/NV/etc state-legal sites) but it'd effectively kill it for the vast majority of people. 

I don't want to bother typing my whole crypto rant out again, but I feel like so many crypto enthusiasts seem to think of it as this panacea of untraceable currency, unhindered by government intervention, but that was never going to be the case.

One of two options were inevitable: Either crypto fails such that it has no real value so it's not worth regulating, or it becomes something and governments everywhere regulate it. Even if that something is basically a digital commodity and not a functioning currency, of course the government would regulate it. The US government isn't just going to decide to ignore huge stores of value being transferred.