Doctor Strange 2 Started Over Completely After Original Director Exited

This implies little, if anything, from Derrickson's original version was carried over, which isn't surprising. Since creative differences were what led to him leaving, Marvel was obviously interested in taking the Doctor Strange franchise in a different direction. Raimi is also a big-name director with a background in both the horror and superhero genres, so it makes sense the studio was willing to give him a clean slate when he signed on. 

Benedict did an interview recently and commented that Raimi let him play Dr Strange how he thinks he should be portrayed. Said he had a little freedom in making/shaping how Dr Strange’s works in the grand scheme of things in the MCU world. Can’t wait to see Bruce’s cameo (which he confirmed) and the obvious nod to Evil Dead with his spirit camera tracking shots. Plus, who knows if Tobey McGuire might show up too. It does take place after No Way Home and has been semi confirmed through some sources to be in said movie

oh and I believe this was originally gonna be more horror then your typical Marvel film. I believe when they said they were dialling back, Derrickson left but approve of Raimi replacing him. 

15 hours ago, silentbob said:

Benedict did an interview recently and commented that Raimi let him play Dr Strange how he thinks he should be portrayed. Said he had a little freedom in making/shaping how Dr Strange’s works in the grand scheme of things in the MCU world. Can’t wait to see Bruce’s cameo (which he confirmed) and the obvious nod to Evil Dead with his spirit camera tracking shots. Plus, who knows if Tobey McGuire might show up too. It does take place after No Way Home and has been semi confirmed through some sources to be in said movie

oh and I believe this was originally gonna be more horror then your typical Marvel film. I believe when they said they were dialling back, Derrickson left but approve of Raimi replacing him. 

Wait...Tobey McGuire might be in this movie? As in, he's entering the MCU for more than just S-M3? That would be awesome.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wait...Tobey McGuire might be in this movie? As in, he's entering the MCU for more than just S-M3? That would be awesome.

Well it is hard to say but some sites had Tobey listed, and some like IMDB are very low key on who is in the movie. Morbius trailer has Tobey’s Spider-Man on the walls from random poster/newspaper. I want to see things happen and who knows what is really in-store going forward. 

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just want to add that screen rant isn't the most reliable of sources. Not that i see anything untrue here, but take what they say with a grain of salt.

strangerewrite.jpg
THEDIRECT.COM

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness writer Michael Waldron reveals the creative changes made for the film, saying that he was involved in writing the film "from scratch."

Waldron recently revealed to Vanity Fair that, in February 2020, Feige contacted him just before the production start of Loki, saying "they were going in a different direction on Doctor Strange.” This was shortly after Derrickson's exit from the sequel, at a time in which it was set to begin filming in May 2020. With such a tight deadline, Waldron recalled, "How do we just make a movie in two months?”

A few weeks later, "COVID quickly descended upon us," pushing the production start date back to November 2020 and leaving plenty of time for Waldron and Sam Raimi to hash out the multiverse-heavy script. "So I got to spend my 2020 on Zooms with Sam Raimi. Not too bad.”

Most surprisingly, Waldron confirmed that he and Raimi rewrote the sequel's script "from scratch" throughout much of 2020. The pandemic allowed the duo roughly nine months to create the new story together before production commenced in London.

Doctor-Strange-Multiverse-Madness-Script
MOVIEWEB.COM

Michale Waldron reveals how he had to completely rework the script for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness after Sam Raimi boarded the project as director.

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm pretty sure the whole reason they went with Raimi is because they were keeping it light horror.

That's what I figured, and I hope so. A horror superhero film sounds fun, and it's time for Marvel to experiment. 

Could go either way. We’ve seen examples of making a director direct somebody else’s vision doesn’t go very well, seen examples of a director going their own way entirely and fuck everything to hell, and seen examples of both where the new director to a project seemingly “saved” it. 

I just want it to be entertaining. At least as much as the first. 

27 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Could go either way. We’ve seen examples of making a director direct somebody else’s vision doesn’t go very well, seen examples of a director going their own way entirely and fuck everything to hell, and seen examples of both where the new director to a project seemingly “saved” it. 

I just want it to be entertaining. At least as much as the first. 

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I am wondering if Dr Strange 2 somehow key to the next phase of the MCU or if this is just another example of Disney refusing to move release dates no matter what (an insistence I've often found puzzling.)

As always I'm curious what kind of creative differences can lead to a split like this, but we probably will never really know.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I am wondering if Dr Strange 2 somehow key to the next phase of the MCU or if this is just another example of Disney refusing to move release dates no matter what (an insistence I've often found puzzling.)

As always I'm curious what kind of creative differences can lead to a split like this, but we probably will never really know.

The original release date was May 7, 2021 which was pushed to November 5, 2021 and it was shifted again to March 25, 2022. What i find puzzling is how you consider that refusing to move release dates when it was moved twice.  

In January 2020, Marvel Studios and Derrickson announced that he would no longer direct the film due to creative differences. In separate statements they both said they were thankful for their collaboration so far. Derrickson would remain an executive producer on the film. This was not expected to delay filming, which was set for May 2020.[30][31] Cargill explained that he and Derrickson conceived a story that went in a different direction from what Marvel wanted,[32] and the pair had not yet written a draft of the screenplay so the final film would not be derivative of their work.[33] Derrickson said leaving the film was a difficult decision, but he did not want to compromise on a film that was different from what he wanted to make. His choice to leave was made easier by the fact that he was able to begin work straight away on another film he wanted to make, The Black Phone (2022).[32]

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

The original release date was May 7, 2021 which was pushed to November 5, 2021 and it was shifted again to March 25, 2022. What i find puzzling is how you consider that refusing to move release dates when it was moved twice.

I worded that poorly and was obviously wrong, but what I was getting at is that there's no indication that they moved this movie back after switching directors and starting from scratch. They kept the production on track as well as they could and delayed it only because of Covid.

I just remember early talks for Dr. Strange 2 had Derrickson saying it would be Marvel’s first foray into the horror movie realm. Seem to be in agreement and then Infinity War/Endgame I think changed that. I do look forward to seeing what he can do with The Black Phone. It was a relatively short short story from Joe Hill’s 20th Century Ghost Stories, which is worth a read. Some short stories are just great fun reads, some scary/neat, and a couple that were just out of there weird.