Biden Nominates Harris County, Texas, Sheriff, Who Was Critical of Trump-Era Policies, To Be Director Of ICE

2020_sheriff-ed-gonzalez_wide-058b24def1
WWW.NPR.ORG

Ed Gonzalez spent 18 years with the Houston Police Department as a civilian and officer, then served three terms on the Houston City Council. He criticized ICE raids during the Trump administration.

Gonzalez is the second such critic to be selected by Biden for a senior position in the Department of Homeland Security, following the nomination two weeks ago of Tucson, Ariz., Police Chief Chris Magnus to lead U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Gonzalez was elected sheriff of Harris County, which includes the city of Houston, in 2016 and reelected in 2020. It is the largest sheriff's force in Texas and the third-largest in the nation with some 5,000 employees.

During his first term as sheriff Gonzalez ended a program with ICE that trained 10 Harris County deputies to determine the immigration status of prisoners, and hold for deportation those in the country illegally.

As sheriff he also opposed Texas legislation requiring local law enforcement to determine individuals' immigration status, according to The Texas Tribune. The legislation was viewed as targeting so-called "sanctuary cities." Gonzalez, like many in law enforcement, said the approach would destroy trust and make their job protecting communities more difficult.

When we had that dude try and beat one of my managers with a baseball bat and she ended up shooting him, Sheriff Ed came out and talked to her and I. He was really kind and reassuring to my manager and got her in touch with the victim support services people for the county. Good luck to him.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

When we had that dude try and beat one of my managers with a baseball bat and she ended up shooting him, Sheriff Ed came out and talked to her and I. He was really kind and reassuring to my manager and got her in touch with the victim support services people for the county. Good luck to him.

I hereby decree that Gonzalez be forever known as “Sheriff Ed”.

• 2 weeks later...