One-Punch Man Season 2 Announced For April 2019

Brian

• 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The first episode of S2 dropped on Hulu yesterday.

Sooooooooooooooo good. :sun: 

Any word on how many eps we're getting this season? I think the Manga is well into 100+ issues now

I don't know if it's been announced, but it seems like this season is going to cover a whole lot of ground. If we're to get everything from the end up season 1 through the monster association, then that is a lot. The end credits did feature everything you'd expect to see from Chanrako to Garou's decent to Orochi. There's just so much to cover, I don't know how it all gets done in a single season unless it winds up being a long one. That said, however, it would catch it up and surpass the manga and would then need to start leaning on the old comic.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't know if it's been announced, but it seems like this season is going to cover a whole lot of ground. If we're to get everything from the end up season 1 through the monster association, then that is a lot. The end credits did feature everything you'd expect to see from Chanrako to Garou's decent to Orochi. There's just so much to cover, I don't know how it all gets done in a single season unless it winds up being a long one. That said, however, it would catch it up and surpass the manga and would then need to start leaning on the old comic.

I haven't read any of the manga/comics so I'm unsure what would need to be covered... I'll say this though... the scene when Saitama appeared in King's apartment, I nearly died from laughter :lol:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm sure there will be more cours/seasons of One Punch Man, I doubt they will cover too much ground in just these 12 episodes. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

12 Episodes. Animation is definitely a downgrade from Season 1

That's because the excellent Madhouse did season 1 and the mediocre J.C. Staff is doing season 2. I'm not watching until the dub is out, but this is my biggest worry about season 2. The story content is so good that season 2 should be mostly good anyway, but the animation is what made season 1 extra special and I'm wondering if J.C. Staff can pull it off. 

23 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm sure there will be more cours/seasons of One Punch Man, I doubt they will cover too much ground in just these 12 episodes. 

My main concern comes from the end credits. There's a lot going on in there. The issue I have here is that the first season jumped around a lot, but that was fine. The first chunk of the manga is really made up of a bunch of shorter stories in a kind of monster of the week setup. Even Boros is really just a monster of the week with little setup.

People are wildly hyper sensitive to spoilers, so I'll tag the following as such. Really, though, it's about as mild as you can get with these and they don't actually spoil any story beats...

Spoiler

The Monster Association is a full on story arc which you didn't really see in the first chunk of the manga/anime. In the middle of that, they should also include the hero hunter story arc. My hope here is that they leave most of the Monster Association stuff as hints for a third season and mainly focus on the hero hunter. However, they're going to have to get into the Monster Association stuff since it's all over the end credits, so I don't know.

At 12 episodes, this season is either going to be really rushed, or end on much more of a hanger than the first season. That may also be the play here. Nobody knew if the series was going to be this huge international success, so the first season works as a single, one shot adventure. Maybe with season 2 they're going in for the long haul.

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

My main concern comes from the end credits. There's a lot going on in there. The issue I have here is that the first season jumped around a lot, but that was fine. The first chunk of the manga is really made up of a bunch of shorter stories in a kind of monster of the week setup. Even Boros is really just a monster of the week with little setup.

At 12 episodes, this season is either going to be really rushed, or end on much more of a hanger than the first season. That may also be the play here. Nobody knew if the series was going to be this huge international success, so the first season works as a single, one shot adventure. Maybe with season 2 they're going in for the long haul.

Well you know more than I do so if that's the case, that'll be a shame if things are rushed this season. But anime often does put stuff in the OP or ED that is often hinting at future seasons (as you said, the long haul - Attack on Titan does this) so it could just be that. 

I'm more concerned about J.C. Staff handling this season, but I'm hoping for the best. 

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well you know more than I do so if that's the case, that'll be a shame if things are rushed this season. But anime often does put stuff in the OP or ED that is often hinting at future seasons (as you said, the long haul - Attack on Titan does this) so it could just be that. 

I'm more concerned about J.C. Staff handling this season, but I'm hoping for the best. 

Maybe this is a long term play. One Punch Man's mangaka just resumed the original webcomic that's been on hold for the past two years. This with the start of season 2 of the anime can't be a coincidence. My guess is that he's working on story for future episodes of the anime. We might find ourselves in a situation where the anime catches up to the manga and then has to fall back on the comic.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, darkness35 said:

Season was meh.  If anyone watches Gigguk, he puts an interesting perspective of why this season is different in comparison to the first season.

Season was actually great, though. It just decided to end when it was at it’s highest ramp up.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Season was actually great, though. It just decided to end when it was at it’s highest ramp up.

Hard disagree.  The quality and fight scenes overall suffered significantly, although J.C. Staff by no means could have compared to Madhouse at all.  This season didn't focus much on Saitama but instead focused more on Garou, which is upsetting considering I expected more Saitama over a villain that I now find myself preferring to (and specifically, Saitama). Whether if it's the issue with Murata/ONE and the source adaptation, the overall quality just felt "safe and content," and I find this season just disappointing.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Last week was the season finale? Are you f’n kidding me????

Yeah, this should have been a 24 episode season. Elder Centipede would have made a perfectly fine half-way point battle. I think the main reason it feels so anticlimactic here is because Saitama doesn't get to end the season in a huge battle like with the first season.

I did say back in April that this season would either be overly-rushed or end in a weird place. I guess weird place is what we got.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, this should have been a 24 episode season. Elder Centipede would have made a perfectly fine half-way point battle. I think the main reason it feels so anticlimactic here is because Saitama doesn't get to end the season in a huge battle like with the first season. 

I did say back in April that this season would either be overly-rushed or end in a weird place. I guess weird place is what we got.

It's a shame to be honest.  I tried my best to like it, but that fucking tournament arc was god awful.

Just watch Attack on Titan 3 Part 2 and Demon Slayer instead of this for the Spring 2019 season.  You'll find better satisfaction there.

1 minute ago, darkness35 said:

Hard disagree.  The quality and fight scenes overall suffered significantly, although J.C. Staff by no means could have compared to Madhouse at all.  This season didn't focus much on Saitama but instead focused more on Garou, which is upsetting considering I expected more Saitama over a villain that I now find myself preferring to (and specifically, Saitama). Whether if it's the issue with Murata/ONE and the source adaptation, the overall quality just felt "safe and content," and I find this season just disappointing.

If you're hoping for a grand heaping of Caped Baldy, I'd temper your expectations. A season 3 is going to strike about the same balance. You're still going to end up with a lot of Garou and a lot of the other heroes. A whole lot of the other heroes as they all get their own chances to shine.

The animation was very weak. The music was also weak. The story was great, in my opinion. I had a lot of fun with this one...even if it does feel cut off mid-sentence.

8 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Stronger disagree. S1 focused on building Saitama, this season focused on building other heroes, villains, and the world itself. The animation was fine, not omgwtfbbq, but fine.