Scientists may have discovered the key to solving the mystery of the 2,000 year-old "Antikythera mechanism"

1888.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Researchers claim breakthrough in study of 2,000-year-old Antikythera mechanism, an astronomical calculator found in sea

From the moment it was discovered more than a century ago, scholars have puzzled over the Antikythera mechanism, a remarkable and baffling astronomical calculator that survives from the ancient world.

The hand-powered, 2,000-year-old device displayed the motion of the universe, predicting the movement of the five known planets, the phases of the moon and the solar and lunar eclipses. But quite how it achieved such impressive feats has proved fiendishly hard to untangle.

Now researchers at UCL believe they have solved the mystery – at least in part – and have set about reconstructing the device, gearwheels and all, to test whether their proposal works. If they can build a replica with modern machinery, they aim to do the same with techniques from antiquity.

This is totally going to result in the end of the world, isn't it?

I've always thought that the mechanism just really wasn't that useful, otherwise we would have found a lot more of them. I'm still curious about it, though.

Kind of like how the ancient Greeks actually invented the steam engine, but at the time they just didn't really have a use for it. Or Mesoamericans did actually invent a wheel, but without draft animals they were kind of pointless, so they just put them on toys and such.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've always thought that the mechanism just really wasn't that useful, otherwise we would have found a lot more of them. I'm still curious about it, though.

Kind of like how the ancient Greeks actually invented the steam engine, but at the time they just didn't really have a use for it. Or Mesoamericans did actually invent a wheel, but without draft animals they were kind of pointless, so they just put them on toys and such.

Or how Baghdadis invented the battery, but they didn't have a laser pointer to put it in. 

• Haha 2