SpaceX went to the moon!

What's kind of funny is that every legacy rocket builder blows up/lets crash every rocket they launch.  SpaceX (and Blue Origin) are attempting recovery of every single launch vehicle.  There will be RUDs. As long as SpaceX (or any other company who's trying to make reuse possible) do this so no one gets hurt, let them.  

41 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A few questions:

1. While this assuredly multi-month (or year) investigation takes place, will SpaceX be allowed to perform further test launches?
  2. How many Boeing/Lockheed/etc former execs sit on the FAA board/manage it?

This was a research and development vehicle.  There will (and should) be an investigation as to why it failed to land properly, but I hope it doesn't slow down their testing.  I would be floored if the FAA also tells SpaceX to stop launching their Falcon 9 rocket, which is 100% a different vehicle, and has proven to be one of the most reliable launch vehicles in the world. 

7 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Was there an investigation every time Falcon 9 crashed on landing back in the day? Because that rocket crashed a lot.

Right?

There was an aborted landing a few years ago - The booster was supposed to land back on land at the cape, but the grid fins (which steer the booster as it reenters the atmosphere) failed.  The booster had limited control and automatically redirected out over the ocean.  The booster soft landed in the ocean but it was extensively damaged.  Even so, I do not believe the the rocket fleet was grounded for any type of FAA investigation. 

46 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I find this a bit funny but the FAA better not use this to slow down testing. It's not like SpaceX has no idea why it failed and probably by the end of the night had a ton of info on the failure.

Both NASA and the Air Force are putting money into Starship, if needed I'm sure they would step in to intervene against the FAA. It is too big of a game changer for bureaucracy to get in the way.