NOVAVAX! JOHNSON & JOHNSON!

Joe

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I thought one of them maintained efficacy with the South African variant? Or was that the British one?

Pfizer claimed it only lost a slight bit of efficacy in a laboratory setting, but who knows what that means in an actual double blind study. Also important to note that the SA study was tiny, so it will be repeated I am guessing.

And we're expecting the J&J vaccine results by the end of next week.  And that one only requires one dose.  If it and Novavax get approved, it would greatly reduce any supply issues.

The only worry now is the UK and South African variants of covid.  If those are able to resist the vaccines, we'll just be back to square one...

Just now, marioandsonic said:

And we're expecting the J&J vaccine results by the end of next week.  And that one only requires one dose.

The only worry now is the UK and South African variants.  If those are about to resist the vaccines, we'll just be back to square one...

Also the Brazil variant now iirc :/ 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I hadn't planned on touching it for a minute.

I wouldn't. Apparently this proves their new vaccine technology works. Novavax took off before COVID even got big last winter because they are developing a vaccine that will have MUCH stronger efficacy against the flu than current vaccines. So these results suggest that the flu vaccine will work as well. Crazy news.

16 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Because of those covid variants, I don't know if I should feel optimistic or pessimistic...

My only stance is that if the variants prevemt the vaccines from working, I will personally blame ever fucking idiot out there not taking it as seriously as they should. Anyone who traveled over Xmas, visited family for supper, went to restaurants, etc. All those people share blame for allowing the virus to spread and mutate.

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Like I said earlier, if those varients are able to resist the vaccines, then we'll just be back to square one, won't we?

You have data on a strain that's 100% resistant to a vaccine that I don't know about?

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Doesn't a vaccine have to be at least 50% effective to have a major impact?  I'm just confused right now.

I have not heard that, no. You're worrying that the SA variant will be the dominant variant and somehow with 49% effectiveness we will be back to square one is just simply improbable. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Like I said earlier, if those varients are able to resist the vaccines, then we'll just be back to square one, won't we?

*Not being a dick for no apparent reason and actually explaining* the fact that it has some efficacy means, afaik, that creating a vaccine which properly protects against the variant would be much faster than how long it took to make the initial vaccine. Think of it like cooking an extra egg when the stove and pan are already hot (shut up, I’m hungry :p ). Also, having even 40% efficacy is better than 0 and should hopefully lessen symptoms (which also lowers death rate).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

*Not being a dick for no apparent reason and actually explaining* the fact that it has some efficacy means, afaik, that creating a vaccine which properly protects against the variant would be much faster than how long it took to make the initial vaccine. Think of it like cooking an extra egg when the stove and pan are already hot (shut up, I’m hungry :p ). Also, having even 40% efficacy is better than 0 and should hopefully lessen symptoms (which also lowers death rate).

Oh the ironing.