Evil West (Flying Wild Hog, 22 November 2022) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Strong words coming from someone who payed $60 to play Saints Row :troll:

I admit that Saints Row shouldn’t be more than $40, either. And The Last of Us Part I shouldn’t be $70. I feel that some games should be priced more appropriately, there’s a lot of indies that are overpriced as well IMO. I would buy more games on day one if they were more reasonably priced, but as it is now I rarely find most games that come out to be worth their initial asking prices and wait to get them when they’re on sale or drop in price.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

This will be another 6/10 game like Saints Row and I'm not falling for it this time. 

It plays and sounds so bad. I mean that vid wade posted sealed the deal for me.

What did you fall for with Saints Row? The reviews ( that I don't agree with) TOLD you what the game was. I swear man you are very confusing.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What did you fall for with Saints Row? The reviews ( that I don't agree with) TOLD you what the game was. I swear man you are very confusing.

I gravitated toward the positive reviews while in the hospital. I completely dismissed the other reviews that were trashing it for good reasons. Combine that with other users on here hyping it up I fell for it. It's really not that confusing. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I gravitated toward the positive reviews while in the hospital. I completely dismissed the other reviews that were trashing it for good reasons. Combine that with other users on here hyping it up I fell for it. It's really not that confusing. 

But between Saints Row and The Last of Us remake, you seem to be going into games not really knowing what to expect, despite there being a wealth of info out there about these games. I don't get the whole "falling for it thing" I guess. Do you though.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But between Saints Row and The Last of Us remake, you seem to be going into games not really knowing what to expect, despite there being a wealth of info out there about these games. I don't get the whole "falling for it thing" I guess. Do you though.

Yea, I've been a mess with games this year. Like you explained, there was a ton of info on what TLOU remake was all about yet I ignored it really. Overall, I'm just mentally drained in general so I think I'm kinda going into games with my own expectations and not doing proper research. I understand it's confusing as all hell to you guys. 

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I've been a mess with games this year. Like you explained, there was a ton of info on what TLOU remake was all about yet I ignored it really. Overall, I'm just mentally drained in general so I think I'm kinda going into games with my own expectations and not doing proper research. I understand it's confusing as all hell to you guys. 

At the end of the day it's not what WE think or anybody else. It's what YOU think that's all that matters and you don't owe me or anybody else any explanations. I know there's certain games I will buy day one full price (although there's fewer and fewer these days) and there's certain ones I know I'll buy but wait for a price drop. 70 bucks is a lot of money and like @Phaseknox some games should have tiered pricing. Not every game is worth 70 bucks.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, best3444 said:

New hands on. Overall he said it's "solid"...

"Solid" is the polite version of mediocre. 

Edit: To add something more constructive, this looks a lot like God Of War '18 combat-wise actually. Not sure why I didn't notice that before. The pacing, the animation-heavy movement and all looks a lot like it to me. Not a bad thing, I enjoyed that combat. 

• True 1

A few more recent previews:

The linearity of the stage I played was counterbalanced fairly well by the amount of nooks and crannies that were scattered around to find consumable items, money, or other collectables. I wasn’t particularly moved to search every inch of the stage in this demo, but I can see the more OCD gamer having plenty of boxes to check in a full release. Such straightforward design may seem out of step with today's forever games, but I really appreciated the focus on making the elements you can interact with feel vibrant and intentional. No, I can't “see the mountain in the background and climb it,” but each encounter feels handmade to create a specific sort of challenge, making it feel more like a deliberate puzzle than a happy accident.

The small demo time I got with Evil West left me thirsty for more Old West vampire hunting. In a year that, somehow, finds three notable games set in a dark and haunted Wild West, Flying Wild Hog’s remains unique not just among its setting counterparts, but its genre contemporaries. Action is easy to get your head around quickly, but reveals new layers of depth and strategy with every new powerful upgrade, bizarre tool, and fanged foe.

Evil-West-2000x1270-1.jpg
WWW.NME.COM

Flying Wild Hog's upcoming shooter can be a pain in the neck

That being said, the demo started to feel very repetitive. The entire level boiled down to walking for a bit, surviving a few waves of vampires in a locked arena, and walking to the next arena to fight in. Between each scrap, there was the occasional bit of non-violent platforming to get through; but even this was fairly mundane as there’s no challenge or critical thinking involved – just running from one panel to the next and unlocking the way forward. Evil West‘s biggest strength – gory, chaotic vampire slaying – was diminished because of the level’s formulaic and repetitive design.

Though Evil West‘s level design felt monotonous, we loved our previous hands-on at Gamescom – so it’s possible that this area in particular is just a bit of a dud. Undeniably, there’s a lot that Evil West gets right: beyond the fantastic combat, the Western-meets-vampires setting is brilliant and the demo ended with the promise of a very interesting story. If you want nothing more than to sic a six-shooter on vampires, it’s safe to assume that Evil West will deliver – but whether it will keep its fangs sharp throughout its 10-15 hour runtime is another question entirely.

evil-west-final-preview.jpeg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Evil West has exceptional combat that brings elements together from all the best hack-n-slash games, but outside of combat, it feels somewhat dated.

There’s an inescapable double-A quality to Evil West, which I hate to use as a pejorative, but it will be compared to games like the earlier God of War and Devil May Cry. There aren’t a lot of linear action games like Evil West anymore, and it definitely feels like a PS3-era game. The example that sticks in my mind the most is a set piece moment where you’re riding in a train car down a broken track, shooting barrels to explode debris and button to switch lanes as you go. Instead of grappling onto a hook as you reach the end of the track to escape, it switches to a cutscene of the character doing exactly that. There are a lot of little moments like that that make it feel dated. It’s charming, for those of us who remember the likes of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, but with Evil West launching just weeks after God of War Ragnarok, the comparison will certainly be unfavorable.

I was sold on vampire hordes in the Old West, and I still am. My love for the combat far outweighs my concerns about, well, everything else, and I’m looking forward to smashing skulls and piling up some demon corpses this November. I’m also intrigued by the co-op option, which is not something I have seen in action yet, and it's not exactly a common feature for games like this. Hey, maybe that’s why the hero doesn’t have a name.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Evil West ("Weird West" title from Shadow Warrior developer Flying Wild Hog, 22 November 2022) - final previews posted
  • 3 weeks later...

Another "final" preview:

Evil-West-Art-Hero500.jpg
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

As we head ever closer to the much-awaited arrival of Evil West, we’ve had one more chance to go hands on with the game.

Evil West’s gameplay is thus far resolutely traditional in its third-person activities, as you collect cash, blow up TNT, smash open doors, push carts into the right place and throw switches. Hell, there’s even an on-rails mine cart section. It doesn’t feel remotely onerous though, and when the setting is so interesting and entertaining, and the combat is so utterly brilliant, that it’s not too much of a concern. Whether that plays out for the entirety of the game remains to be seen, but it doesn’t feel like Evil West will outstay its welcome.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Evil West ("Weird West" title from Shadow Warrior developer Flying Wild Hog, 22 November 2022) - "Gold" status announced
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Evil West ("Weird West" title from Shadow Warrior developer Flying Wild Hog, 22 November 2022) - Gameplay Overview Trailer

Idk. After really liking Gotham Knights even after all the awful reviews has really changed my thinking on previews and reviews in general. I think I should just go by what I know I'll like rather than looking at scores. Gaming is different now and reviews don't hold as much weight anymore. The complexity of games these days make them very difficult to review imo.

I'm just rambling now. Anyway, I think I'm going to bite on this. I like that type of gameplay. 

• True 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Evil West (Flying Wild Hog, 22 November 2022) - update: "Co-Op Gameplay" trailer, "Welcome to Evil West featuring Danny Trejo" trailer, and 30 minutes of gameplay video