Feel good story: Over 900 cars paid for each other's meals at a Dairy Queen drive thru in Minnesota

201209113548-pay-it-forward-dairy-queen-
WWW.CNN.COM

What started as a random act of kindness from one man paying for the car behind him in a Dairy Queen drive-through resulted in over 900 cars also taking part in the pay it forward chain.

Tina Jensen, the store manager at one of the two Dairy Queens in town, told CNN a man came by the drive-thru window on Thursday and asked if he could pay for his meal and for the car behind him.

Jensen told her cashier this tends to happen once in a while but at most it lasts for 15 or 20 cars and fizzles out.

This time, the chain continued for two and a half days with over 900 cars participating, raking in $10,000 in sales, according to Jensen.

When the next customer came to the fast food chain's window, Jensen explained what the man in front of them had done -- and the acts of kindness continued to multiply.

"With the lobby shutting down, being only open for take out, being able to open for half your capacity, different things like that," have played a role in trying to keep morale high, Jensen said.

Her top priority is the safety of her customers and crew with increased disinfecting and cleaning measures, she said.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I worked part time at a kfc in college and often worked the drive thru (it was the easiest job) and I can't recall this happening a single time in my years there.

Obvious but juuuuust to make sure: we're talking about nobody ever paying the next person, not never seeing 900 people doing it, right? :p 

57 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This happened to me some months ago in a drive thru but I didn't pay for the person behind me.

Yeah. I went to McD's one day to get a dollar coffee before a concert. I was tired and needed a pick me up. The drive thru worker said that the person in front of me paid for it and that the last 10 cars have paid for each other's meals. Would I like to keep the chain going? I look in front of me and it's a mini van. Well I'm sure that family is happy to eat for a dollar. I look behind me... Another mini van. "I'm guessing the car behind me ordered a lot more than a dollar's worth of stuff." $30-something. "Nah I'm good."

• Shocked 1

45 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah. I went to McD's one day to get a dollar coffee before a concert. I was tired and needed a pick me up. The drive thru worker said that the person in front of me paid for it and that the last 10 cars have paid for each other's meals. Would I like to keep the chain going? I look in front of me and it's a mini van. Well I'm sure that family is happy to eat for a dollar. I look behind me... Another mini van. "I'm guessing the car behind me ordered a lot more than a dollar's worth of stuff." $30-something. "Nah I'm good."

For me the person behind me honked at me for some reason so he was already an asshole, the person in front probably felt guilty about it and paid or was just being nice, but the employee didn't say X number of people have paid.