Not content with resurrecting the wooly mammoth, a "de-extinction company" announces plans to bring back the thylacine (aka, the "Tasmanian Tiger")

F2B7F553-D0EA-47D2-8590B3CD91B0E548.png
WWW.SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

The scientists who want to bring back mammoths now hope to revive the marsupial carnivore thylacine

The thylacine has long been an icon of human-caused extinction. In the 1800s and early 1900s, European colonizers in Tasmania wrongly blamed the dog-sized, tiger-striped, carnivorous marsupial for killing their sheep and chickens. The settlers slaughtered thylacines by the thousands, exchanging the animals’ skins for a government bounty. The last known thylacine spent its days pacing a zoo cage in Hobart, Tasmania, and died of neglect in 1936.

Now the wolflike creature—also known as the Tasmanian tiger—is poised to become an emblem of de-extinction, an initiative that seeks to create new versions of lost species. Colossal Biosciences, a Texas-based de-extinction company that made headlines last September when it revealed that it planned to bring back the woolly mammoth, announced today that its second project will be resurrecting the thylacine.

Australian scientists have been hoping since 1999 to use emerging genetic technologies to try to bring the thylacine back from the dead. When the species went extinct, Tasmania lost its top predator. In theory, reintroducing proxy thylacines could help restore balance to Tasmania’s remaining forests by picking off sick or weak animals and controlling overabundant herbivores such as wallabies and kangaroos, some researchers say. But early attempts at cloning the animal from museum specimens’ DNA failed, and the effort has not attracted significant funding—until this year.

Colossal Biosciences, co-founded by Harvard University geneticist George Church and tech entrepreneur Ben Lamm, is working with the University of Melbourne’s Andrew Pask, who has already sequenced most of the thylacine genome. The thylacine is the perfect candidate for de-extinction, Pask says, because it died out relatively recently, good-quality DNA is available, and its prey and parts of its natural habitat still exist.

Despite the ethical concerns, I'm still waiting for scientists to clone humans.  Preferably, they do this with someone famous or noteworthy, like Einstein or Elvis.  At the very least, we'll get to see how much genetics play a role in things like talent, intelligence, and demeanor. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Despite the ethical concerns, I'm still waiting for scientists to clone humans.  Preferably, they do this with someone famous or noteworthy, like Einstein or Elvis.  At the very least, we'll get to see how much genetics play a role in things like talent, intelligence, and demeanor. 

I want to clone me and raise myself as my son so I can create a perfect me.