Good PCI Express 3.0 GPU?

DPCyric

5 hours ago, Nokra said:

I got a 1650 Super for about $175 that I've been really happy with, but it will largely depend on your budget and whether you're willing to go used or wait for the newer 3xxx cards to launch to make everything else cheaper. 

Yeah I'm willing to wait for the new cards to launch so prices drop but not really willing to buy used. $175 seems like a really reasonable upgrade price 🤔

Nvidia:

1650 Super (stay away from the original 1650)

Any GTX 1660 variant

RTX 2060

AMD:

RX 570

RX 580

5600 XT

Those are your new choices.  Used choices aren't bad.  You could probably get something around $100 that kicks the shit out of your 660.  I'd actually recommend a used RX 470, RX 480, or GTX 1060.

If you could possibly wait another 4-8 weeks, it's possible AMD's announcement of new cards in the sub-$500 price range could push the prices of these budget cards down a little bit.  Particularly if the RTX 2060 came down in price that would be attractive.  While not exactly "cheap" right now, getting it and having the possibility to test out DLSS+Ray Tracing for the future could mean you either hold onto that card longer than you'd expect or it could have better re-sell value.  But it's also likely the price won't drop that much on it.

I can wait longer just started the overtime season at work which won't end until December 17th. The RTX 2060 does look really nice if the price drops! I'm looking at getting an Oculus Quest 2 and setting it up for PC VR as well. I've got plenty to play now but Remnant is a bit sluggish and I know she won't push VR well.

56 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I'm not so sure about refurbs but maybe an RTX 2060 refurb would likey be more scratch and dent than previous use 🤔

These are manufacturer refurbished, which means EVGA themselves fixed and tested them (strenuously) and even slaps a 12-month warranty on the card (new cards have a three year). I would never buy or recommend third-party refurbished products (ie: Best Buy fixing an EVGA card), but manufacturer refurbished is generally safe since whatever was wrong with it was replaced with a new, genuine, part, then tested and warrantied.

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

These are manufacturer refurbished, which means EVGA themselves fixed and tested them (strenuously) and even slaps a 12-month warranty on the card (new cards have a three year). I would never buy or recommend third-party refurbished products (ie: Best Buy fixing an EVGA card), but manufacturer refurbished is generally safe since whatever was wrong with it was replaced with a new, genuine, part, then tested and warrantied.

And depending on the company the quality control can actually be higher on refurbs.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DPCyric said:

I take it there are no 3.0 cards with HDMI 2.1?

The RTX 3000 series is the first PC video card with HDMI 2.1 (they are BC with PCIE 1.0-3.0). The RTX 2000 series is capable of VRR via its HDMI 2.0 port (limited to 60hz) through GSync/drivers on a few HDMI 2.1 TVs if that’s what you want the 2.1 port for.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The RTX 3000 series is the first PC video card with HDMI 2.1 (they are BC with PCIE 1.0-3.0). The RTX 2000 series is capable of VRR via its HDMI 2.0 port (limited to 60hz) through GSync/drivers on a few HDMI 2.1 TVs if that’s what you want the 2.1 port for.

I have an LG C9 that I would like to hook my PC up to.

32 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I have an LG C9 that I would like to hook my PC up to.

Any RTX 2xxx series card will allow VRR/GSync (up to 4k 60hz w/HDR) on an 9-series or higher LG OLED. Since you want VRR, avoid anything lower than a 2xxx-series from nVidia. If you want 120hz w/VRR you’ll need a 3xxx-series card or possibly the new AMD cards that are incoming (it’s currently unknown if they offer HDMI 2.1, but it’s more-than likely that they will).

*The 16xx series from nVidia may also support VRR/GSync on your C9, I’m not 100% sure on that, though... no other 1xxx series cards support it, however (ie: a 1080ti will not support GSync on a C9).

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

PCIE (full size) is like USB-A: the difference is the bandwidth, not the shape/compatibility.

Well that's nice I can get a great card now and when I upgrade everything else in a few years I will get even more performance out of it! Thanks for all the help 😁