Samsung officially announces the Note 20, Galaxy Z Fold 2, Galaxy Buds Live, Galaxy Watch 3...and three years of OS updates, backdated to include the S10 and Note 10 lines.

Jason

I'm interested to see how the very high res cameras fair this year. It seemed like they were very much not worthwhile last year, especially with the autofocus issues. I like the idea of Samsung throwing hardware at a problem others are solving with software, but they have yet to prove it's the right approach.

6 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I imagine you have severe screen burn in as well? every S8 I've seen recently has horrible burn in.

Not that I've noticed but I really do use my phone a lot less than the average smart phone user, I imagine. Is there an easy way to notice the burn in? I'll look for it.

Also, generally speaking, what are newer phones doing that's so essential that would make someone want to upgrade at this point? Asking cause I genuinely don't know. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah, okay, makes sense - appreciate all the info. :)

Samsung has been seriously toning down the screen curvature and seems to be moving away from it altogether (the base Note 20 will have a flat screen, for example). If you're still happy with your S8+ I'd give it another year and see if they finally fully abandon curved screens on the S21.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Samsung has been seriously toning down the screen curvature and seems to be moving away from it altogether (the base Note 20 will have a flat screen, for example). If you're still happy with your S8+ I'd give it another year and see if they finally fully abandon curved screens on the S21.

Ah, this helps too - honestly I didn't mind the curved screen, happy to go back to not curved as well. :)

2 hours ago, Joe said:

My S8+ looks beautiful and works like a dream. Don't have a any real reason to upgrade other than my battery is getting a little shitty, but it's still significantly better than my S6 was brand new.

Yeah, I have had little to no issue with my S8+ since whenever the phone originally came out and I got one.

I really can't believe they have the gall to offer that Note 20 at $1000. It's worse than every other flagship in every sense. Yet more expensive smdh. It's worse than their previous base Note models too. But it continues a trend I suppose.

Note 9: 1440p, glass back, Micro SD card slot, headphone jack, $999

Note 10: 1080p, glass back, no micro sd card slot, no headphone jack, $949

Note 20: 1080p, plastic back, no micro sd card slot, no headphone jack, $999

Lol. The fuck outta here.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-17_at_1.25.27_PM.jpg

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I really can't believe they have the gall to offer that Note 20 at $1000. It's worse than every other flagship in every sense. Yet more expensive smdh. It's worse than their previous base Note models too. But it continues a trend I suppose.

Note 9: 1440p, glass back, Micro SD card slot, headphone jack, $999

Note 10: 1080p, glass back, no micro sd card slot, no headphone jack, $949

Note 20: 1080p, plastic back, no micro sd card slot, no headphone jack, $999

Lol. The fuck outta here.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-17_at_1.25.27_PM.jpg

A plastic back is better tbh since it won't shatter, unlike glass. And there's an argument for a 1080p option from the angle of higher resolutions just killing battery life for marginal gain. But yeah, the base Note 10 seems to exist solely to make the $1300 model seem like a good deal in comparison.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

A plastic back is better tbh since it won't shatter, unlike glass. And there's an argument for a 1080p option from the angle of higher resolutions just killing battery life for marginal gain. But yeah, the base Note 10 seems to exist solely to make the $1300 model seem like a good deal in comparison.

I agree that in practice there's nothing wrong with plastic or smaller resolution. Just don't sell it to me as a flagship at the most expensive price of any phone called a flagship that's even remotely in that spec range.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Yeah, you might have a mild Samsung preference!

From the Microsoft Duo thread:

2 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

This thing won't sell many units, if you wanna go fold you have to go Samsung, much better hardware and software.