As an Nvidia/Intel person...

I'm planning to go Ryzen for CPU, Nvidia for GPU on my next build which I really hope is before Cyberpunk (waiting for Nvidia to drop those new cards)

Gaming wise Ryzen seems like its competitive, and otherwise seems like the better processor. I have suspicious that it might be better for ray tracing ultimately since I think more parallel processors will benefit it more, but it's hard to say without more data.

The thing that might stop you from buying a new system next month is the sheer lack of motherboards at their suggested retail prices. And hopefully you don't need a new power supply too because those are rather hard to find as well.

Intel Z490 boards are available but that limits you to one choice, and you'd be better off waiting for when there IS a choice instead of just "settling" for what you can get.

Zen 3 is supposed to be out in October and that's going to be a major architectural change over current Zen 2, likely in the direction of better gaming performance since everything else is already in AMD's bag.

Don’t do it. You obviously don’t upgrade often, so wait for PCIE 5.0 motherboards and DDR5, both of which are/were supposed to come this year. PCIE 5.0 might be especially important with 5.0 m.2 SSDs becoming a factor with the PS5 this year. (AMD already has PCIE 5.0 available)

46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Don’t do it. You obviously don’t upgrade often, so wait for PCIE 5.0 motherboards and DDR5, both of which are/were supposed to come this year. PCIE 5.0 might be especially important with 5.0 m.2 SSDs becoming a factor with the PS5 this year. (AMD already has PCIE 5.0 available)

When is that? Delayed, or just never officially announced?

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

You mean PCIe4.0.

AMD essentially confirmed that Zen 3 will not support DDR5, and Intel's upcoming Rocket Lake won't either, leaving the generation-after being the first platforms to support it for either company sometime next year at the earliest.

But yeah at least wait for Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000).

5 hours ago, Reputator said:

You mean PCIe4.0.

AMD essentially confirmed that Zen 3 will not support DDR5, and Intel's upcoming Rocket Lake won't either, leaving the generation-after being the first platforms to support it for either company sometime next year at the earliest.

But yeah at least wait for Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000).

No, I do mean 5.0: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/292251-the-pcie-5-0-specification-is-now-available-before-pcie-4-0-has-even-shipped 

For some reason I though AMD skipped 4.0 and went to 5.0 (which is what Intel may do). I did not know DDR5 was delayed, though.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Uh yeah then I don't know why you're saying wait for PCIe5, when 4 literally just came out and 5 is not shipping on a consumer motherboard any time soon.

“Uh yeah” read the article?

PCIE 4.0 was delayed a ridiculous amount of time which is why Intel is likely skipping it. 5 was finalized before 4 even released to consumers and is ready-to-go for this year afaik.

If you like I can clarify and recommend not getting less than 4.0, but 5.0 should be available this year and may be worth waiting for if you’re running an OCed 3770k (meaning you’re not really being CPU limited in gaming atm).

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

OK, who's going to deliver PCIe5.0 this year? Intel already launched their new CPU platform for this year, and AMD hasn't indicated they're dropping 4.0 after just one generation with it.

Yes, AMD likely won’t adopt 5.0 right away, rumors speculate mid-late 2021 at the earliest. Intel is likely skipping 4.0 and going directly to 5.0 if the speculation of various tech sites are to be believed. Knowing an exact date isn’t possible at this time (how long prior to the 3000 Ryzen series release did we know it’s mobos would have 4.0 support?) - the current speculation seems to be the next chipset from Intel, so it could be late this year or early next year depending on where you’re reading from (COVID may have pushed it back from the last time I looked). If the OP wants to stick with Intel, it’s worth the wait considering his current CPU should hold him (and he clearly doesn’t upgrade often) - if he’s willing to switch to AMD, since DDR5 seems to be delayed, going with a PCIE 4.0 board now wouldn’t be a bad option. For gaming, PCIE bandwidth is potentially about to seriously matter for the first time in like forever and thus I REALLY don’t feel going with a 3.0 board is a good option.