Weird Issue I had Xbox Related

skillzdadirecta

A couple of users here know about my issue that I had this past week but I figured I'd post it here and see what you guys' thoughts are. So I have spent the past three months of the pandemic with my parents across the country from where I live (Los Angeles). I have an Xbox One S here at my parent's house and now a PS4 and a Switch along with my laptop so I'm pretty well supplied as far as gaming goes.

Last week I had to fly back to my place to take care of some things and I was shocked to discover that my day one Xbox One X Scorpio edition had died. I would try to turn it on and it would power on for a second or two then cut out. I tried all of the troubleshooting steps, reseting the power supply, plugging it into a different outlet. No dice. Now I had been gone from the apartment for almost four months and the console should have been powered off during that time. I don't believe there were any power surges or outages in the apartment because no other electronics were affected and my clock in my bedroom still displayed the correct time. So I ruled out an electrical issues but here's where it gets weird. I went to power on my OG Xbox in my bedroom and that one was bricked too :o That one wouldn't even power on at all. 

So the only conclusion I could come to was that an update, pushed by MS during the time I was gone bricked these consoles. It's the only thing I can think of as again, no other electronics in the apartment displayed any issues. So... what say you?

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A couple of users here know about my issue that I had this past week but I figured I'd post it here and see what you guys' thoughts are. So I have spent the past three months of the pandemic with my parents across the country from where I live (Los Angeles). I have an Xbox One S here at my parent's house and now a PS4 and a Switch along with my laptop so I'm pretty well supplied as far as gaming goes.

Last week I had to fly back to my place to take care of some things and I was shocked to discover that my day one Xbox One X Scorpio edition had died. I would try to turn it on and it would power on for a second or two then cut out. I tried all of the troubleshooting steps, reseting the power supply, plugging it into a different outlet. No dice. Now I had been gone from the apartment for almost four months and the console should have been powered off during that time. I don't believe there were any power surges or outages in the apartment because no other electronics were affected and my clock in my bedroom still displayed the correct time. So I ruled out an electrical issues but here's where it gets weird. I went to power on my OG Xbox in my bedroom and that one was bricked too :o That one wouldn't even power on at all. 

So the only conclusion I could come to was that an update, pushed by MS during the time I was gone bricked these consoles. It's the only thing I can think of as again, no other electronics in the apartment displayed any issues. So... what say you?

You say powered off but I assume you mean in sleep mode or low power because the console wouldnt have received an update in powered off mode?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I came across a report in April on a forum where someone said an update killed their console.

I wonder if the consoles were updating and you had power loss or a brownout. Have you tried the self recovery method?

5 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

You say powered off but I assume you mean in sleep mode or low power because the console wouldnt have received an update in powered off mode?

Yes Sleep mode. Both consoles were in sleep mode.

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I wonder if the consoles were updating and you had power loss or a brownout. Have you tried the self recovery method?

I don't think there was a power loss because as i said, my digital clock in my bedroom was still displaying the correct time.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes Sleep mode. Both consoles were in sleep mode.

I don't think there was a power loss because as i said, my digital clock in my bedroom was still displaying the correct time.

Did you try the recovery method any way?

23 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Did you try the recovery method any way?

I'm not sure what method you're talking about, I assume you have to be able to power the consoles on in order to do this method, right? Neither console will power on. I tried a couple of different steps with a Microsoft tech on the phone. None worked. Anyway I left both consoles back in LA when I returned to my parent's place yesterday. I still have my working X1S here and a buddy of mine wants to get rid of one of his Xboxes for a hundred bucks. I don't really care about the OG Xbox, but I would like to get my scorpio edition X1X fixed at some point.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not sure what method you're talking about, I assume you have to be able to power the consoles on in order to do this method, right? Neither console will power on. I tried a couple of different steps with a Microsoft tech on the phone. None worked.

Sorry misread your first post about it only staying on for 1-2 seconds 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I would suggest maybe check the HDMI cable, maybe it's loose and preventing it from booting up, or something of that nature.

or maybe try plugging it in somewhere else.

Hmmm...  I wasn't aware the HDMI cable could cause it to not boot up :hmm: I have tried plugging both consoles into different outlets. Anyway I'm not gonna be back at my apartment for at least a month so I'll try again then. I still have both consoles, they're just unhooked right now.

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Doesn’t the OG Xbox have a brick? Does it have a green light?

No the brick never went green. It stayed solid orange.

4 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Do you have a friend that would let you borrow a power brick that you know works?

The Xbox that I am getting from my buddy is an OG one so it should have a brick. I'll test it out when I go back home. Still weird that some mysterious power issue occurred in my apartment and only affected my Xboxes and nothing else. PS4? fine. PS3 and Xbox 360? Fine. Desktop computer, Home theater receiver and other electronic? All fine. So strange. Could leaving the consoles in low power mode for so long have damaged the power supply somehow?

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No the brick never went green. It stayed solid orange.

The Xbox that I am getting from my buddy is an OG one so it should have a brick. I'll test it out when I go back home. Still weird that some mysterious power issue occurred in my apartment and only affected my Xboxes and nothing else. PS4? fine. PS3 and Xbox 360? Fine. Desktop computer, Home theater receiver and other electronic? All fine. So strange.

I'm more shocked that you left your apt for four months and didn't unplug anything. I don't even take chances if I'm gone for the week, especially when I lived in apts. They have such shitty wiring.

1 minute ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm more shocked that you left your apt for four months and didn't unplug anything. I don't even take chances if I'm gone for the week, especially when I lived in apts. They have such shitty wiring.

I wasn't expecting to be gone for so long when I left... you know there's this little thing called a global pandemic that happened a couple of days after I left my place. Perhaps you've heard of it? 

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Do you still have a Xbox 360? That power brick can work on the Xbox one with a little tweaking. 

REALLY? I did not know that. I have a couple of 360 Power bricks lying around. Wish I would have known that before I left LA. Will definitely try next time I'm home.

In my experience the Xbox One and the PS4 are finicky about sleep mode. I’ve had my PS4 need to rebuild its database after booting from sleep mode enough times that I don’t use that feature anymore. My Bone has been less annoying but has definitely had to do a full boot instead of wake up once or twice. Every time this happened, none of the other electronics in the house were affected in any observable way,. Seems really unlucky for it to happen to two of your devices to the extent that they both pseudo bricked, though.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

In my experience the Xbox One and the PS4 are finicky about sleep mode. I’ve had my PS4 need to rebuild its database after booting from sleep mode enough times that I don’t use that feature anymore. My Bone has been less annoying but has definitely had to do a full boot instead of wake up once or twice. Every time this happened, none of the other electronics in the house were affected in any observable way,. Seems really unlucky for it to happen to two of your devices to the extent that they both pseudo bricked, though.

I've had that happen with the PS4 as well. When I get back to LA I'm going to try some more steps before I send either in for repair.

That's definitely a weird situation. I don't have much else to add. I've been burned enough times by my PS4 not starting up correctly when using sleep mode. My power is almost always 100% stable where I live, unless there is a huge thunderstorm. Yet it occasionally gives me a message saying it wasn't shut down correctly and has to rebuild the database. I try to avoid sleep mode now. 

14 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

That's definitely a weird situation. I don't have much else to add. I've been burned enough times by my PS4 not starting up correctly when using sleep mode. My power is almost always 100% stable where I live, unless there is a huge thunderstorm. Yet it occasionally gives me a message saying it wasn't shut down correctly and has to rebuild the database. I try to avoid sleep mode now. 

Mine is on a UPS and it does it, I waiting for that day it just shits itself and never comes on again.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wasn't expecting to be gone for so long when I left... you know there's this little thing called a global pandemic that happened a couple of days after I left my place. Perhaps you've heard of it? 

You mean that thing that just snuck up on us like a hurricane? :p

Anyway, back on topic, if you have a mom n pop gaming shop they might let you try a new power brick if you take it in.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

You mean that thing that just snuck up on us like a hurricane? :p

Anyway, back on topic, if you have a mom n pop gaming shop they might let you try a new power brick if you take it in.

There's a mom and pop shop near me that I could try, but as someone else in the thread stated, the 360 power brick might work, so I may just try that. I'll try a few more things before I get it fixed. MS quoted me $250.00 to get the thing fixed/replaced which is just asinine.