Old World - new ancient empire 4X title from Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civilization III/IV), update: Steam/GOG release on May 19 with free expansion

Commissar SFLUFAN

Official website

Ancient history's wild stories play out in Old World, an ambitious strategy game from the designer of Civ 4 (PC Gamer)

Egypt played me for a sucker. I wanted to be friends, so the first time they came to me and said their gods didn't like me, I was happy to pay up to try to change their minds. But they kept coming back asking for bigger donations. That may sound like a repetitive AI doing the same thing over and over in a boring diplomacy system, but in hindsight I should've noticed that each time I was paying tribute to a different god, with different flavor text for each new request. I had unknowingly stepped into one of more than a thousand hand-authored event chains which add narrative flavor to Old World, a new 4X from Civ 4 designer Soren Johnson. When Egypt finished filling its pockets with my gold and declared war on me anyway, I really should've seen it coming.

Preview: shape nations and annoy kings in Old World, the new 4X from Civ 4's Soren Johnson (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)

I booted up the preview build of Old World expecting a game much like something from the Civilization series. Probably not unreasonably, given that lead designer Soren Johnson is well known as having been co-designer on Civ III, and then lead designer on Civ IV, before starting his own studio, Mohawk Games, in 2013. And for sure, this game, which is about founding and growing an ancient empire, certainly looks the part. There’s hexes, and cities, and goats and crabs and the like scattered around the map, along with groups of spearmen towering above the trees.

Old World takes a more human look at grand, historical strategy (Polygon)

I spent my Easter weekend in the glorious company of Old World, a turn-based strategy game for PC by Mohawk Games, best known for the widely admired Offworld Trading Company.

Old World (previously known as 10 Crowns) is due to be released in early access via the Epic Games Store some time this summer (you can pre-order today). The build I’ve been playing is certainly not the finished article, but it’s engrossing and fun, and I love its attempt to bring more story elements to grand strategy.

As you can see from today’s trailer, Old World is a Civilization-like game of map-exploration, resource gathering, city building, and conquest; a format that’s sometimes referred to as a 4X game. But it differs from Civ games in its attempts to create a narrative, role-playing environment in which the player is tasked with making moral, personal, and political decisions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Old World: new ancient empire 4X title from Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civilization III/IV), update: July 1 launch, Christopher Tin announced as music producer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Old World: new ancient empire 4X title from Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civilization III/IV), update: July 1 launch on EGS, Christopher Tin announced as music producer

Back when Humankind started it's beta I got it mixed up with Old World and was very confused when I watched some videos of it. I kept thinking, "What happened to the leader system?" I figured it out a little later and am interested in that too, but Old World interests me more.

• 4 weeks later...

PC Gamer - 87%

vNoK4N6tGUm2vBC7JiPxqT-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Mohawk Games has made a historical 4X that feels like the future.

PCGamesN - 80%

old-world-release-date.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Soren Johnson’s newest endeavour is a valiant effort to bring order to the 4X genre, but its not without flaws

@CitizenVectron

@Mercury33

@jaethos

• Thanks 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Old World: new ancient empire 4X title from Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civilization III/IV), update: reviews from PC Gamer (87%) and PCGamesN (80%)

Thanks for the update, I'll probably pick this up in the next few weeks. Got Warhammer 40k: Martyr: Inquisitor for 75% off today, so I'll be bumming around with that for a while! Certainly not anywhere near the quality of Diablo III or Path of Exile, but it's fun enough (and apparently massively improved from when it launched in 2018). So far from my 2-3 hours of play, I'd recommend it for the current ~$10 on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Coming to Steam/GOG on May 19 with a free expansion:

old-world.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Old World, the historical strategy game, is heading to Steam and GOG next month with a new expansion offered for free.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1650001309
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Old World is a revolutionary new historical strategy game where you lead your dynasty over generations of rule against rival kings and queens. Wage massive wars, manage your court, and build a dynasty — or watch your empire crumble to dust. What legacy will you leave behind?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Old World - new ancient empire 4X title from Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civilization III/IV), update: Steam/GOG release on May 19 with free expansion