Biggest cosmic explosion ever detected left huge dent in space

Eruption in black hole 390m light years away punched cavity the size of 15 Milky Ways

The eruption is thought to have originated at a supermassive black hole in the Ophiuchus galaxy cluster, which is about 390m light years from Earth.

Simona Giacintucci, of the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington DC, the lead author of the study, described the blast as an astronomical version of the eruption of Mount St Helens in 1980, which ripped off the top of the volcano. “A key difference is that you could fit 15 Milky Way galaxies in a row into the crater this eruption punched into the cluster’s hot gas,” she said.

7 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I wonder if the explosion actually affected space-time itself?  Did it create any anomalies -- however temporary -- in the nature of time?

I imagine it involved an absurdly large gravitational wave output. I’ve always been curious about constructive/destructive interference between such waves. We’ve only just begun to study it