Film Crit Hulk's Video Essays, update: "Why Mad Max: Fury Road Works - A Scene-by-Scene Breakdown"

Brick

On 3/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, SlipperySlope said:

I don't know they lost me as a fan 

This essay is all about the original 1977 movie that was originally called “Star Wars”. We have a tendency to take that movie for granted these days, but this essay explains how the movie has very effective writing which is a huge reason why the rest of franchise is as big as it is today.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, Reputator said:

I might check it out. I've enjoyed his analysis on occasion but admittedly he couldn't have picked a more dead beaten horse for his video debut.

Yeah, I get it. But with the way video algorithm works, a video like this is sure to get him a lot of attention up front.

I’ve read his Screenwriting 101 ebook and there’s a section on there were he breaks down why the original Star Wars works on a story level. I know it’s something he’s felt very strongly for a long time, and it’s nice seeing him elaborate even further to show just how effective the storytelling is. I’ve seen and read so much about that movie already, and honestly I’ve learned a lot so far from this video and I’m only halfway through. Most critics would just say it works because it follows the hero’s journey and leave it there, but Hulk explains why it’s much more complicated than that.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Film Crit Hulk's Video Essays, update: "Why Mad Max: Fury Road Works - A Scene-by-Scene Breakdown"