40 years ago today the first console war started

EternallDarkness

12 minutes ago, HalfJoey said:

Did you have fun with it?

Had a blast with it. The crazy thing is that I think my mom played the thing more than anyone :lol: it was the last time she enjoyed console gaming, after that the games/controllers just got 'too complicated' for her. 

as if I didn't already feel old, you have to say you've seen one in a museum :p thanks 

• Haha 1

off the top of my head I would say my mom's favorites were Astrosmash, Lock N Chase, Burgertime. She was actually damn good at all those as well as a few others. I liked all those as well not to mention dozens more.

Never rom'd them ,but I think I may have had one of those Intellivision lives titles that came out for the ps2, but they didn't play the same without the intellivision controller....which thankfully the new intellivision will have.  As for age...we're still a ways off. I was born in 72.

The new system. Coming out 10-10-20  :epilepsy: The system is definitely geared toward the casual gamer, easy to play stuff. But it will be the home of Earthworm Jim 3!

spacer.png

Just now, Rodimus said:

Coleco?

If you ignore the first gen of consoles (Pong, Odyssey 100/200, Telstar, etc.)...

In the second gen, the Fairchild Channel F launched at about the same time as the Atari (but, was a dismal failure).  The Maganavox Odyssey2 launched about a year before Intellivision and sold in comparable amounts.  Coleco was very late to the party.  However, the original Atari was the only one that really sold in any volume.

Atari was solely responsible for the crash though.  :)

(TBH, there was a robust "video" game market on computers (on the C64, Apple IIc, etc.) during the crash.  At the time, most people referred to "video games" as being on consoles, while "computer games" were on computers, and "arcade games" were in the arcades.  Even if they were the same game.)

The Colecovision was the first console I myself owned and I also had the adapter that allowed you to play Atari 2600 and Intellivision games. My aunts and uncles at my grandparents had an Odyssey, a 2600 and then later a 5200.  I later got an NES with R.O.B. when that came out and then proceeded to get almost every home console that released with a couple of exceptions (3DO, Neo Geo)

The Amico is going to be a huge failure. I don't recommend pre-ordering it at all. I'm sorry but that IP is so old people in their mid 40s and 50s would have any nostalgia. Also they are selling this as a family gaming but those parents will have older kids in their 20s and such.