The wrestling thread: the “Paul Levesque Era” begins… without the sex-trafficking degenerate POS, Vinny Mac!

On 2/8/2024 at 10:03 PM, SaysWho? said:

And now another swerve! Rock playing more heel to Cody.

Watching the full conference now (saw clips earlier). Pretty cool story wrinkles.

I watched it and I think this was a back-up plan and not plan A. I do think it was “ready to go” but they wanted to see/hear fan reaction to The Rock thing first. I mean, they were censoring Rock boos on Raw this week and turning off crowd mics. Not to mention it was initially presented as “Cody spoke with The Rock and decided to allow The Rock to go after Reigns with his blessing” and not “The Rock jumped ahead!” or whatever.

Don’t misunderstand, though, I’m glad they’re “fixing it” but I don’t buy “this was always the main plan!” :p 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I watched it and I think this was a back-up plan and not plan A. I do think it was “ready to go” but they wanted to see/hear fan reaction to The Rock thing first. I mean, they were censoring Rock boos on Raw this week and turning off crowd mics. Not to mention it was initially presented as “Cody spoke with The Rock and decided to allow The Rock to go after Reigns with his blessing” and not “The Rock jumped ahead!” or whatever.

Don’t misunderstand, though, I’m glad they’re “fixing it” but I don’t buy “this was always the main plan!” :p 

Because the Rock has a good mind for the business, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a back up plan. My brother was telling me he didn’t think Rock would go heel because of his brand and all that, but he ate crow and really enjoyed that twist.

WWW.PENNLIVE.COM

Many of professional wrestling's top stars were sending their prayers and well-wishes Saturday.

All 11 implants came back as Serious Borderline Tumors,” she said. “A very rare pre-cancer of the ovaries. Very sneaky and aggressive. If those became cancer, the survival rate is less than a year.”

Mizanin said she is now scheduled for the total hysterectomy in four weeks.

“I’m remaining positive and determined to beat this thing,” she said. “There is only one option and it’s winning this battle! As a mom of two young daughters, I have too.”

She finished by asking that more light be brought to “a huge woman healthcare issue.”

“This cycle has to be broken!” she wrote. “If you get dismissed by a doctor, go see an new one until you get the help you need!”

I hope Maryse Mizanin beats this and recovers completely. Fuck cancer!

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Predictable but fun Elimination Chamber. R-Truth is a comedic genius and I’ll never understand why some hate him :p 

I agree with you! R-Truth is awesome and I enjoy seeing him. I hated how they cut a lot of his stuff when he was the 365 champion on the HULU version of Raw.

Whenever I see a wrestler die before 65, I think of Roddy Piper's quote that he's not going to make it to 65 (and he didn't).

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The verified Instagram account of Michael Jones, better known by the wrestling moniker Virgil, confirmed his passing on Wednesday. His cause of death is unknown.

• Sad 4

I watched the Sting match twice, and watching a match twice in a two day span (or even a multi year span) is something I more-or-less never do. It was as close to perfection as anyone could ask for.

Spoiler

The BS notion that wrestlers need to retire on their back has always been dumb AF. Darby is who needed a rub and Sting has given him a hell of one throughout his AEW run. Having the Young Bucks as the final opponents was perfect as they absolutely wouldn’t be “hurt” from a loss but are over, respected, and more-than good enough to put on such a proper match with Sting. Sting barely missed a step: obviously he doesn’t have the strength he once did but he clearly pushed his body past its limits for this final match and looked about as good as he ever has.

The entrance and opening with his sons was perfect too. I marked the F out when Seek & Destroy hit.

10/10 easy.

• Hugs 1

Just rewatched the whole thing as well and yeah, Sting really did leave it all out there for us, Darby, the Bucks, and himself.

That being said ... JFC Ospreay v Takeshita was INSANE STUPID GOOD!! Like personally, current MOTY contender.

• 5 weeks later...

WrestleMania 40, Night 1 card

• Becky Lynch vs. Rhea Ripley for the Women's World Championship
  • Gunther vs. Sami Zayn for the Intercontinental Championship
  • Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso
  • Six-pack tag team ladder match for the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship: Damian Priest and Finn Bálor vs. R-Truth and The Miz vs. Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano vs. Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods vs. Austin Theory and Grayson Waller vs. Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate
  • Bianca Belair, Naomi and Jade Cargill vs. Damage CTRL
  • Rey Mysterio and Dragon Lee Andrade vs. Santos Escobar and Dominik Mysterio
  • The Rock and Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and Seth "Freakin" Rollins

WrestleMania 40, Night 2 card

• Seth "Freakin" Rollins vs. Drew McIntyre for the World Heavyweight Championship
  • Iyo Sky vs. Bayley for the WWE's Women's Championship
  • Logan Paul vs. Randy Orton vs. Kevin Owens in a United States Triple Threat match
  • LA Knight vs. AJ Styles
  • Bobby Lashley and the Street Profits vs. Final Testament in a six-man tag team Philadelphia street fight
  • Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

WrestleMania 40, Night 1 card

• Becky Lynch vs. Rhea Ripley for the Women's World Championship
  • Gunther vs. Sami Zayn for the Intercontinental Championship
  • Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso
  • Six-pack tag team ladder match for the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship: Damian Priest and Finn Bálor vs. R-Truth and The Miz vs. Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano vs. Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods vs. Austin Theory and Grayson Waller vs. Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate
  • Bianca Belair, Naomi and Jade Cargill vs. Damage CTRL
  • Rey Mysterio and Dragon Lee Andrade vs. Santos Escobar and Dominik Mysterio
  • The Rock and Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and Seth "Freakin" Rollins

WrestleMania 40, Night 2 card

• Seth "Freakin" Rollins vs. Drew McIntyre for the World Heavyweight Championship
  • Iyo Sky vs. Bayley for the WWE's Women's Championship
  • Logan Paul vs. Randy Orton vs. Kevin Owens in a United States Triple Threat match
  • LA Knight vs. AJ Styles
  • Bobby Lashley and the Street Profits vs. Final Testament in a six-man tag team Philadelphia street fight
  • Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship

My prediction/guesses:

Night 1:

• Rhea retains - Becky doesn't need the win, Rhea winning solidifies her as the current "force" in the women's division
  • I think Sami wins, but Gable turns on him and sets up Gable vs Sami, also, Gunther loses to set-up him vs Cody
  • Jimmy wins via interference - Jey losing doesn't really affect him, Jimmy needs the win more
  • They might split the titles here, which I think is a bad move as each brand's tag division isn't strong/big enough on it's own to justify separate belts, but whatever. If they separate the belts, Miz + R-Truth and Theory + Waller (with Dunne and Bate taking the titles from them in a few weeks), if they keep the belts unified then just Miz + R-Truth
  • Jade Cargill gets the pin - she's not losing her first match. I bet it also takes like 2/3rds of the match before she's tagged in.
  • Rey and Andrade are winning UNLESS Carlito goes heel and costs them the match ("why didn't you pick ME as you're partner, Rey?!?!?")
  • The Rock and Reigns are winning here so it can be a "Bloodline Rules" match for the next night with Cody vs Reigns. I also think that The Rock pins Cody to set-up Reigns vs Rock down the road ("I pinned Cody, and you couldn't beat him without help, you're not the head of the table, I am!")

Night 2:

• Drew wins. CM Punk probably interferes, but not to intentionally cost Seth the title (ie: he tries to stop Drew from using a chair or something while the ref is unconscious or whatever)
  • Bayley wins, makes no sense for Iyo to retain
  • Logan Paul is winning here because...
  • LA Knight beats AJ "the Earth is flat!" Styles and goes on to challenge Logan Paul for the US Title at Summer Slam (which is in Paul's home town)
  • I... don't care... who is this match even for? I guess Final Testament wins because they actually need the win? 
  • Cody, god fucking willing, and there's going to be a ton of spots since I think it'll be a no-DQ match - I imagine we get a spot with Austin and Cena running down to stop interference from Bloodline members

Just now, elbobo said:

haven't watched a WM since they split into two nights, how long are these shows with only 6-7 matches per night? Seems like it would be a 3 hour or less show

Yea, it's two 2.5-3-ish hour shows rather than the ungodly 6-7+ hours they were becoming. It's a lot better in this two-night format IMO

I am so checked out on current wrestling. Funny story, I saw this thread earlier today and realized WM was today and kind of shrugged it off. Then I saw Wrestling with Wregret put up a review of WM30 and I clicked on it and it was making me mildly interested in WM40 and I was thinking "hmmm, I wonder if there is some kind of week trial I could exploit to get WM for free". Then he mentioned that WM30 was right when the Network debuted and how different it is now because the Network doesn't exist anymore because it's a part of Peacock.

That's when I realized I already have access to WM because I have a Peacock subscription. That's how checked out of current wrestling I am.....not only do I not watch the shows I flat out forgot I have access to their PPV every month :lol:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Night 1:

• Rhea retains - Becky doesn't need the win, Rhea winning solidifies her as the current "force" in the women's division
  • I think Sami wins, but Gable turns on him and sets up Gable vs Sami, also, Gunther loses to set-up him vs Cody
  • Jimmy wins via interference - Jey losing doesn't really affect him, Jimmy needs the win more
  • They might split the titles here, which I think is a bad move as each brand's tag division isn't strong/big enough on it's own to justify separate belts, but whatever. If they separate the belts, Miz + R-Truth and Theory + Waller (with Dunne and Bate taking the titles from them in a few weeks), if they keep the belts unified then just Miz + R-Truth
  • Jade Cargill gets the pin - she's not losing her first match. I bet it also takes like 2/3rds of the match before she's tagged in.
  • Rey and Andrade are winning UNLESS Carlito goes heel and costs them the match ("why didn't you pick ME as you're partner, Rey?!?!?")
  • The Rock and Reigns are winning here so it can be a "Bloodline Rules" match for the next night with Cody vs Reigns. I also think that The Rock pins Cody to set-up Reigns vs Rock down the road ("I pinned Cody, and you couldn't beat him without help, you're not the head of the table, I am!")

6/7

200.gif

On 4/6/2024 at 11:34 AM, Spork3245 said:

Night 2:

• Drew wins. CM Punk probably interferes, but not to intentionally cost Seth the title (ie: he tries to stop Drew from using a chair or something while the ref is unconscious or whatever)
  • Bayley wins, makes no sense for Iyo to retain
  • Logan Paul is winning here because...
  • LA Knight beats AJ "the Earth is flat!" Styles and goes on to challenge Logan Paul for the US Title at Summer Slam (which is in Paul's home town)
  • I... don't care... who is this match even for? I guess Final Testament wins because they actually need the win? 
  • Cody, god fucking willing, and there's going to be a ton of spots since I think it'll be a no-DQ match - I imagine we get a spot with Austin and Cena running down to stop interference from Bloodline members

5/6

Close with the CM Punk guess: got involved afterwards but allowed the cash in on Drew. Also, I’m okay switching out Austin for Taker. :p 

• Spork3245 changed the title to The wrestling thread: the “Paul Levesque Era” begins… without the sex-trafficking degenerate POS, Vinny Mac!

Punk looks bad, was unquestionably the aggressor and likely deserved to be fired since it was his second backstage fight but it's so weird for AEW to release the footage after 8 months and to try and make a plot line out of it for the Bucks.

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Punk looks bad, was unquestionably the aggressor and likely deserved to be fired since it was his second backstage fight but it's so weird for AEW to release the footage after 8 months and to try and make a plot line out of it for the Bucks.

They released it because of that CM Punk interview last week where he made AEW out to be the bad guy. The integration into storyline was the "excuse" to release it, I guess... also... RATINGS, BABY!

I believe Jack Perry almost certainly verbally goaded Punk to get physical, but without sound it's impossible to know. Regardless, CM Punk was unprofessional AF for even confronting Perry like that.

• 2 weeks later...