Nvidia Bringing G-sync Support to LG OLEDs

Mr.Vic20

Of fuck yes! Once they started supporting other FreeSync and VRR monitors it was my hope that that indicated they might be able to do it over HDMI with VRR HDMI supported displays (since you also don't need proper fully HDMI 2.1 support to allow the feature).

Very glad this has panned out!

Wait, is this compatible through HDMI 2.0 on current RTX/GTX models? I thought HDMI 2.0 couldn’t handle HDR and VRR simultaneously? “HDR” Freesync monitors, for instance, force you to choose between HDR OR VRR and do not allow both under DP 1.2 or HDMI 2.0. XboneX is able to do both because it has a modified 2.0 port.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Wait, is this compatible through HDMI 2.0 on current RTX/GTX models? I thought HDMI 2.0 couldn’t handle HDR and VRR simultaneously? “HDR” Freesync monitors, for instance, force you to choose between HDR OR VRR and do not allow both under DP 1.2 or HDMI 2.0. XboneX is able to do both because it has a modified 2.0 port.

My understanding is that yes it can, though not above 60FPS. HDMI 2.1will handle that. I'll let you know in the next day or two when I get it hooked up!

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They said both VRR and HDR10. I didn't see Dolby vision stated, so maybe just HDR10.

I think this is because lower framerate VRR doesn't require more bandwidth, just the right protocol.

9 minutes ago, legend said:

They said both VRR and HDR10. I didn't see Dolby vision stated, so maybe just HDR10.

I think this is because lower framerate VRR doesn't require more bandwidth, just the right protocol.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My understanding is that yes it can, though not above 60FPS. HDMI 2.1will handle that. I'll let you know in the next day or two when I get it hooked up!

I don’t think any PC gpu supports dolby vision, yet. (I haven’t stayed up to date on it, though :p )

The 60fps limitation makes sense. I wonder if nVidia is using an “above spec” HDMI port similar to the XboneX?

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t think any PC gpu supports dolby vision, yet. (I haven’t stayed up to date on it, though :p )

The 60fps limitation makes sense. I wonder if nVidia is using an “above spec” HDMI port similar to the XboneX?

Seems possible. It's also possible (depending on the hardware architecture) that the graphics card being what it is could in principle support any protocol-only feature of HDMI. Comes down to whether they have to go through a static controller that handles the HDMI protocol before outputing data on the port, or whether the programmable part of the GPU also handles how data is written to the port.

The latter seems way more favorable from a flexibility stand point (enabling you do things like this without having to had foresight of the future), but the hardware logistics and cost might not be worth it in practice, and I really don't know how their GPUs work at that level.

So jealous I wanted a C9 but just couldn't do it and build this current PC too! This Samsung Q8fn Qled was a compromise, but honestly it's an amazing TV and I am very very happy with it. Things have been incredibly tough this last 9 months, and honestly even having a PC to game on and a nice TV to game on is humbling after losing everything we owned but my wife, truck and my dog to the camp fire and 4 months later losing my Son. I'm enjoying listening to you guys rave over your amazing TV's though, not the same thing, but I'll take what I can get!

• Like 1