Cyclist Deaths Are Exploding Because U.S. Cities Are Car-Friendly Death Traps

Jason

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I routinely see drivers being aggressively aggro about weaving in and out of lanes trying to get get ahead of everyone. 

I never claimed they didn’t, but was referencing in stopped traffic at lights or otherwise. I’m guessing you’re an irate cyclist 🚴‍♀️ 

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Then there are bike riders. These guys like to ride the wrong way on the sidewalk (If you get out of the way they say "thanks"), they like to use crosswalks to get the light to change and continue going down the sidewalk, they like to not even stop at stop signs. :thumbup:

Also, they aren't even required to wear helmets.

So these bike riders could do a lot to help protect themselves.

Or we could provide proper infrastructure so that they don't feel compelled to ride on the sidewalk to avoid dying. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I never claimed they didn’t, but was referencing in stopped traffic at lights or otherwise. I’m guessing you’re an irate cyclist 🚴‍♀️ 

If your reaction to an article about unsafe cycling infrastructure is to start whining about your cyclist anecdotes then I'm guessing you're the kind of person who harasses cyclists while driving. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

If your reaction to a cycling safety article is to start whining about your cyclist anecdotes then I'm guessing you're the kind of person who harasses cyclists while driving. 

I posted a meme and then responded to your bitching of it actually. I don’t harass anyone, broski.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Some of the biggest issues are unprotected bike lanes in major cities, which lead to cyclists getting thrown into traffic by dooring—when a driver or passenger opens a car door in the path of a cyclist. Dooring accounted for 203 cyclist accidents in San Francisco from 2012-2015.

In March, Airbnb employee Tess Rothstein, 30, was thrown from her bike and into oncoming traffic when she swerved to avoid an open door in the bike lane, and then was fatally crushed by a truck.

She was riding in the bike lane like a non-jerk but obviously it's still relevant to bring up the times I've felt like cyclists were jerks. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

She was riding in the bike lane like a non-jerk but obviously it's still relevant to bring up the times I've felt like cyclists were jerks. :rolleyes:

I’m unsure why you think I’m responding to a specific anecdote that I didn’t quote and not the issue as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Imagine coming into a thread about rape statistics to talk about the time you were at the club and saw a woman whose dress was so short her vagina was flashing people as she danced. 

Holy fuck, are you seriously comparing cyclist accidents to fucking rape victims “asking for it”??????

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I’m unsure why you think I’m responding to a specific anecdote that I didn’t quote and not the issue as a whole.

Holy fuck, are you seriously comparing cyclist accidents to fucking rape victims “asking for it”??????

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

They are terrible in my city though. We have some pretty wide bike lanes on some of our main streets and the cyclists ignore them. Lot of them will either sway in and out of the lane or ride 4-5 cyclists wide. I will swing out of the way to avoid them (half way into the 2nd lane when clear) and I still somehow pissed off one cyclists who thought I was too close to them. Slammed his hand on my hood when we got to a red light saying I was trying to hit him and could of killed him. I rolled down my window and I told him to stay in his own fucking lane and we wouldn’t have this problem. He was still yelling at me when it went green and got as far away from them as I could. Love my 4 wheels to his 2 

3 hours ago, Anathema- said:

On the one hand I feel bad for cyclists, on the other hand I don't.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Also, Cyclists rarely follow the rules of the road. I live in a very LEFT environment and those who bike feel entitled to behave pretty poorly when sharing a road. 

Yes, those are the kind of replies that are absolutely responding with non-sequitur victim blaming. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Unprotected strips of paint is not protection. People, including police and parking enforcement, frequently use bike lanes as standing lanes. It's extremely dangerous to get forced out of the bike lane due to people stopping their cars in them, which leads to many cyclists preferring to just not use the unprotected death strip bike lane.

Something tells me you've never been on the receiving end of being menaced by motorists as a cyclist.

Way too many people who can drive are an asshole driver. You have your asshole cyclists that will run through stop signs all the time, swerving into the driving lane from cycling lane with no obstruction in their way. You have the drivers (like you said) that like to do the Homer Simpson driving to see Truck-a-Saurus. Just swerving in and out of traffic, honking their horn in impatience and hopping back onto highway merging ramp lanes to get a few extra feet in front of the heavy traffic.  I hate them both oh so much

So with that out there. Yeah I haven’t been on the other end of this because I’m too afraid to ride out there with today’s distracted/impatient drivers

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They're changing a lot of bike lanes around here, giving them more width or protecting them going through underpasses.

But like Spork is going on some "cyclists" (more like bike riders) are kind of assholes.

There are legit cyclists - The ones who wear the helmet and the suit and stuff and just go down the street

Then there are bike riders. These guys like to ride the wrong way on the sidewalk (If you get out of the way they say "thanks"), they like to use crosswalks to get the light to change and continue going down the sidewalk, they like to not even stop at stop signs. :thumbup:

Also, they aren't even required to wear helmets.

So these bike riders could do a lot to help protect themselves.

Also this one. This is literally "don't wear slutty dresses if you don't want to get raped". 

2 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Way too many people who can drive are an asshole driver. You have your asshole cyclists that will run through stop signs all the time, swerving into the driving lane from cycling lane with no obstruction in their way. You have the drivers (like you said) that like to do the Homer Simpson driving to see Truck-a-Saurus. Just swerving in and out of traffic, honking their horn in impatience and hopping back onto highway merging ramp lanes to get a few extra feet in front of the heavy traffic.  I hate them both oh so much

So with that out there. Yeah I haven’t been on the other end of this because I’m too afraid to ride out there with today’s distracted/impatient drivers

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There are plenty of stories of dumb cyclists and dumb motorists, but the potential lethality of the latter relative to the former is so one sided we pretty much don’t need to talk about dumb cyclists.

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

"Legit cycling" doesn't require spandex. WTF? :silly: @b_m_b_m_b_m

The entire point of this article is that cycling needs to be accessible to more than just the hardcore spandex warriors. 

no, but serious and competitive cycling do. They aren't just for looks :lol: They wick away sweat and work as compression garments to improve blood flow throughout the body. It's not a faschion statement. And if you wear clothes over them, they get soaked. 

I don't cycle, but I know a few guys who do. The tech in bikes is incredible, and the they weigh almost nothing. No unsprung weight at all. Some of them upwards of 10k. A local guy does iron Man (swim, run, bike), and they use custom built and fitted bikes. Like every sport out there, theres a science to it. Right down to the IPO :lol:

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

The difference being that dumb motorists actually endanger everyone. Yes, a dumb motorist is much worse than a dumb cyclist, no one is arguing otherwise.

In fact, I’d actually argue that “self-driving-like” features on cars are making people worse drivers. I’m a fairly attentive and experienced driver, but my newest car has adaptive/radar cruise control and lane keep assist (first car I’ve owned with these features). A couple weeks ago I drove my fiancé’s car which does not have those features, and I realized these not-self-driving but self-driving-esq features where the car slows down for you, corrects itself to stay near the center of a lane, etc, made me WAY less attentive and thusly more dangerous (though, I’d argue, still not actually dangerous in my specific case, not necessarily the case of others) as a motorist. As much as I love these features, my experience with them leads me to believe that self-driving for cars need to be 100% or 0%. I’d even argue that current technology in most cars is adding to these cyclist deaths, but without data on what model/year/trim/features each car involved in these accidents was/had, its just an anecdotal thought.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There are plenty of stories of dumb cyclists and dumb motorists, but the potential lethality of the latter relative to the former is so one sided we pretty much don’t need to talk about dumb cyclists.

And I find most fellow cyclists to be insufferable :p 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I routinely see drivers being aggressively aggro about weaving in and out of lanes trying to get get ahead of everyone. 

Iagree. I see people going the wrong way on the road riding bicycles all the time. I'm a little offput but it's no biggie, they're putting their lives on the line, and killing a biker/pedestrian in a car is basically a free kill, you won't get busted for it.

On the other hand, I've once nearly been hit by a guy going the wrong direction on I-64 and it still fucking terrifies me. At 70+mph my whole family would have been killed. I'll take a thousand, thousand bikers not following traffic laws over a single driver drunk/high behind the wheel or texting. The complaint about bad people on bikes just falls on completely deaf ears for me.