CA Might Allow College Athletes to Get Paid - Update: Now signed into law

TwinIon

While not recent news, I personally wasn't aware of SB 206, a California bill dubbed the "The Fair Pay to Play Act." The bill allows student athletes at public or private schools that earn more than $10M in media rights revenue (Division I) to profit from their name, image, or likeness. It would not allow the NCAA or anyone else to stop a student that is being paid from participating in athletics nor  would it allow schools to change their scholarship. Schools would still not be allowed to pay athletes.

The bill has already passed through the CA Senate, and is now going through the state assembly. If it is signed into law, it would take effect in 2023.

It's back in the news thanks to some supportive tweets from Lebron.

I've long been in favor of college athletes getting paid, and anything that takes power away from the NCAA is alright in my book.

It could be an interesting world if CA schools are the only ones where athletes are allowed to get paid. I imagine other states would follow, but there would likely be holdouts. Imagine the recruiting dynamic if you know you can get paid directly if you go to USC but Alabama still has to pay you under the table.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Lawsuits from whom? The NCAA? Other Schools? I'm not aware of any real legal challenges this law faces.

Also, it seems that CA might not be alone in this fight for long.

Potentially NCAA/PAC12/California schools.  The NCAA has states that they do not believe that the law is constitutional.  Some California ADs are concerned that out of state schools will not be able to schedule games with them, for fear of breaking NCAA rules.  The law doesn't come into effect until 2023, so there is lots of time for this to play out.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27735933/california-defies-ncaa-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-fair-pay-play-act

• 4 weeks later...

NCAA votes to let student athletes profit from their names, images

In a dramatic turn, the NCAA said Tuesday it permit college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness, reversing the organization’s long-held opposition to the concept of allowing amateur players to earn income.

The NCAA’s board of governors told its three athletics divisions to update their bylaws to address its stance on the matter. The reversal came just weeks after California approved a law allowing college athletes within the state to earn income from endorsement deals despite resistance from the NCAA and the Pac 12 conference.

“We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes,” said Michael Drake, chairman of the NCAA Board of Governors and president of The Ohio State University. “Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education.”

The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain the priorities of education and the collegiate experience, and ensure that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each division to implement new rules by January 2021.

ESPN

Wow, that's a stunning reversal. I certainly didn't expect the NCAA to cave so immediately. The NCAA is now set to implement the new rules two years before CA was going to force the issue.