Finally put together my “new PC”

Installed @Mr.Vic20‘s old 5960x and mobo into a new case and rgb fans + AIO. :daydream:

All the different lighting animations are hypnotizing :epilepsy:

However, I can confirm, that coming off my OCed 3770k, there’s absolutely no difference in gaming at 4k with an 8c/16t 5960x at 4.5ghz vs a 4c/8t 3770k at 4.5ghz. None. :p 

There’s less microstutter, but my 980 Tis had none on my 3770k; the micro stuttering appeared when switching to a 2080 Ti and was likely caused because of the 2080 Ti being plugged into a 2.0 PCI-E slot when it’s a 3.0 card (it’s now in a 3.0 slot). But, yea, pretty and I’m likely more “future proof” from the 8-cores for when these next consoles drop :santasun:

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I mean, whatever floats your boat, but I think all these lights people are doing look so cheesy :p 

They're not. In person they are ridiculously neat. When people were doing static LED fans 12-15 years back, it was kinda lame, now that they're addressable with multiple light sources and animations, you can do some pretty awesome stuff; one of the animations has the lights playing pong against each other with the center lights creating a ball that it throws back and forth and the outer light on each end of the last two lights forming the paddle

I'm waiting on a really good deal on a 2070 or faster card.  I'm OK with the performance of a 980 Ti, for what I'm currently playing, but I want Freesync support and I don't feel like dropping $200-300 on a new card (like a 1660 or 2060) is worth it for that feature without getting a significant performance boost.  Really disappointed AMD wasn't more competitive with their pricing of the 5700 cards.

What software are you using the control the lights?  Corsair's iCue? Even with my cheap RGB lights the software can make a difference with how they perform.  Cooler Master's controller and software does more neat things than Asus's, and is more customizable.

32 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm waiting on a really good deal on a 2070 or faster card.  I'm OK with the performance of a 980 Ti, for what I'm currently playing, but I want Freesync support and I don't feel like dropping $200-300 on a new card (like a 1660 or 2060) is worth it for that feature without getting a significant performance boost.  Really disappointed AMD wasn't more competitive with their pricing of the 5700 cards.

1080 Ti’s have been going on sale (new) for $400-450 from Zotac.

32 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

What software are you using the control the lights?  Corsair's iCue? Even with my cheap RGB lights the software can make a difference with how they perform.  Cooler Master's controller and software does more neat things than Asus's, and is more customizable.

I’m using the iCue software.

37 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm waiting on a really good deal on a 2070 or faster card.  I'm OK with the performance of a 980 Ti, for what I'm currently playing, but I want Freesync support and I don't feel like dropping $200-300 on a new card

If your interested I would part with my 1080ti for that price. Its just gonna collect dust.

6 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I was googling the specs right now to make sure it'll fit in my case, since it is an inch wider than my current card which close to touching my case.

Double check your power supply as well, it’s a double 8 pin .

I'm weak, guys. I bought some Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (3000mhz CL15) RAM to complete the RGB look. I got 4x 8gb sticks to replace the 2400mhz Geil RAM that @Mr.Vic20 gave me and got 4 additional "blank" dimms that Corsair sells with the RGB heatsinks attached to "fill the dimms" which allows the most animations (you can make it look like the rgb lighting on the heatsinks is playing friggen tetris :lol: ). I was able to get the RAM on sale, bought two sets of 16gb (2x8gb) separately. The first set arrived last night, so, being impatient, I went ahead and installed it. The lighting worked but the mobo wasn't recognizing the RAM so it was using the 2x Geil sticks I left in there and not the Corsair, also the iCue RGB software wasn't recognizing the RAM either. Looks like the mobo's BIOS needed an update... I go to ASUS's website, get the BIOS, try using the Win10 BIOS app to flash, it says that the "the model of the BIOS image doesn't match the model of the BIOS ROM" or something... okay. I try doing the automatic download and flash presented in the app, it says "BIOS is not new!" and doesn't allow a download or anything... wtf. I go into the BIOS and try doing the flash from there, same error as the windows app. I do some googling and I'm supposed to put the file on a FAT32 USB Stick and also rename it to X99EWS.CAP. I do it... same issues in both Windows and the BIOS... Do some more googling and ASUS has their mobos set-up where you can power off the computer, put the USB stick into a specific slot and press a "flash BIOS" button built into the motherboard along the I/O plate and it'll read the .cap file and flash. I try this, the light flashes steadily... and just keeps going for 20+ minutes. I know that some BIOS updates can take 30+ minutes so I decide to go to bed. Wake up this morning, the light's still flashing. The manual says you can power the PC on to abort the flash with no consequence, so I hit the power button on my case, nothing. WTF. I kill the power to the PC via the PSU switch, wait 15 seconds, flip it back, PC still won't power on. I open the case, hit the "clear CMOS" switch, power comes on to all the fans and peripherals, but no signal to my monitor and the mobo reading "00" on it's code display. Apparently the BIOS corrupted. :| 

At this point I'm thinking I need to buy a new mobo. But I kill the power again and start playing with the Flash BIOS button on the back as it felt like it was kinda sticking. Well, the motherboard doesn't sit perfectly into the I/O plate for whatever reason so the Flash and QREADER buttons are slightly off angle and a little under the I/O plate for whatever reason, so I was hitting the corner of the Flash button which was making it stick, so I pushed dead center, into the I/O plate in relation to where the button is and it seemed to pop back up as it should each time. I put the power back on, hit the Flash BIOS button again, this time dead center, holding it for 3-seconds as per the instructions, and the button popped back up as it's supposed to this time. It flashed for 3-5 minutes or so, and stopped. PC now powers on and my monitor gets a signal, but then turns off, powers on again, turns off, powers on again, about 4-5 times then finally boots to Windows. Everything seems fine, I check the ASUS Win10 app and the BIOS version is using the current one, great. I go to restart so I can go into the BIOS and re-apply my OC and other settings. It does the weird on and off thing again, so I force a power off, hit the Clear CMOS button, boom, it's 100% fine and normal now, and the Corsair RAM is being recognized by both the mobo and the iCue RGB software.

That was fun. :| :santasun:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My ASUS ROG Mobo as a "flash via internet" option in the UEFI interface.  Does yours have it?  If so, it might be a simpler solution if you get stuck struggling with USB sticks in the future.

Yup, it does, it would just say "BIOS is not new!" or something to that effect and wouldn't allow a download or even mention newer BIOS to download. I'm guessing this was because it was using the original BIOS from August of 2015 marked as version 1009, and the latest release is from May 2019 and is version 3901 - so, the BIOS in the mobo was so old that it wasn't matching the specifics of the newer ROM to allow an update (ie: the safety check to make sure that the BIOS ROM is compatible with the motherboard didn't match because of the age and changes over the past 5 years of updates). I'm guessing that corrupting the OG BIOS is what allowed the new BIOS to load into the mobo (there wasn't a previous BIOS ROM to check against). 

:shrug: 

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

Odd behavior, but I'm sure your motherboard also has dual BIOS in case you really did muck up the upgrade.

It doesn’t seem to, which actually surprised me. I think almost every mobo I’ve owned since around 2007 has had that safety feature to stop it from being bricked during a BIOS update. However, what ASUS came up with is to have a dedicated USB port, and a “BIOS Flash button” associated with said USB Port, that allows you to flash/update the BIOS when the PC is off (you just need the motherboard cable from the PSU plugged in, you don’t even need RAM or a CPU installed). This is why I was able to “resurrect” the definitely bricked motherboard. It’s actually a better solution than a dual-BIOS, IMO, as those can still become corrupted (it’s just less likely).

13 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Stop it, I don't want to replace my RAM with RGB kits, and then go buy a couple of  Corsair ARGB controllers so I can use their software for those effects.  And then replace my fans because those do look better than mine.

I’ll post more vids later

:troll: 

They make DIY RGB RAM heatsinks you can throw on to your current RAM that supports MSI/Gigabyte/ASUS/ASRock/etc mobo RGB.

(No Gigabyte support on this one) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRYVJX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k.hrDb3VSBXW9

BTW, you only need a single controller, the controller works with up to 6 fans, the RAM gets recognized through the DIMM as long as you have SPD Writes enabled. The multipacks of the Corsair fans come with a controller.

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’ll post more vids later

:troll: 

They make DIY RGB RAM heatsinks you can throw on to your current RAM that supports MSI/Gigabyte/ASUS/ASRock/etc mobo RGB.

(No Gigabyte support on this one) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRYVJX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k.hrDb3VSBXW9

BTW, you only need a single controller, the controller works with up to 6 fans, the RAM gets recognized through the DIMM as long as you have SPD Writes enabled. The multipacks of the Corsair fans come with a controller.

That is right about the controller.  Right now I have a generic controller plugged into a Cooler Master controller which is then plugged into my motherboard.  I can switch between Cooler Master and Asus software for the fans, but anything integrated into the board I have to use Asus's software.

15 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

That is right about the controller.  Right now I have a generic controller plugged into a Cooler Master controller which is then plugged into my motherboard.  I can switch between Cooler Master and Asus software for the fans, but anything integrated into the board I have to use Asus's software.

The iCue software will independently recognize the Vengeance RGB Pro RAM :sun: