Trump announces support for two-year bipartisan budget deal that boosts spending, suspends debt limit

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Umm . . . no. @Signifyin(g)Monkey and @SFLUFAN help us out, you are our only hope. They can explain everything better than I can, and know better than me on this issue anyway. 

Who cares?

"Balanced budgets" are fiscal garbage that no one should be proud of in any way, shape, or form.

The lesson of the last 40 years is developed countries can have plenty of national debt without it being a major problem. There is a limit, but the United States isn't even close to it. I still favor surplus budgets during growing years and major deficits during recessions, but that sort of fiscal discipline doesn't exist.

45 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

The lesson of the last 40 years is developed countries can have plenty of national debt without it being a major problem. There is a limit, but the United States isn't even close to it. I still favor surplus budgets during growing years and major deficits during recessions, but that sort of fiscal discipline doesn't exist.

A lot of our cushion on this goes away if Trump's idiotic trade wars manage to dislodge the dollar as the global reserve currency.

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

A lot of our cushion on this goes away if Trump's idiotic trade wars manage to dislodge the dollar as the global reserve currency.

Well, that *is* the shortest route to ending our trade deficits.  There’s really no other way you’re ever going to have the domestic demand for dollars outstrip foreign demand for dollars.

So I guess at that point Trump could declare that we’re ‘winning’ again.  :silly:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Umm . . . no. @Signifyin(g)Monkey and @SFLUFAN help us out, you are our only hope. They can explain everything better than I can, and know better than me on this issue anyway. 

It was a combination of many factors, but the real answer is the tech boom did most of the heavy lifting by driving increased revenue, not any particular budgetary policy.

There were a few budgetary policy changes that played meaningful roles, notably the reduction in defense department spending by winding down the size and scope of the military post Cold War. There are a bunch of other smaller budgetary modifications that add up to a decent chunk, but nothing compared to the tech boom driving up revenues and the shrinkage of the post Cold War military apparatus.