Looking for a cheap HDR Monitor/TV

DPCyric

After seeing Ori in HDR at Best Buy I would like to get something cheap that has great HDR/Contrast Ratio ideally something that can replace my monitor because my TV is rather large but if anyone knows good deals on large TV's that could work too (Last year models and refurbished TV's are also a model this is just a temporary solution).

3 hours ago, DPCyric said:

What about smaller TV's that I can use as a monitor?

Not really.

The only 2 monitors that really have decent HDR that I know about are:

Acer Predator X27 -- $1,650

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ   -  $1,880

They are both comparable to a decent HDR TV in brightness.  (They also offer G-Sync and 144Hz refresh -- which really drives up the cost.)  Every other monitor I have looked at, isn't really offering something I would call HDR -- even though their marketing departments are willing put it on the box.

I haven't been in the market recently for a small TV, but most I have seen are 1080p (or worse) and are not very good, and I suspect don't have decent HDR.

If you buy a screen (either TV or monitor) that doesn't have the capability to output high levels of brightness, you're not going to get the "pop" you saw at Best Buy.  The TV @ManUtdRedDevils referenced seems to have good reviews on Rtings (I've never personally seen it), and the price looks like a pretty good deal.

34 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

800 nits is really the minimum you’d want for HDR, keep that in mind while looking. 1000 is really what you want, though.

All but the 2 HDR monitors that @AbsolutSurgen linked to, as far as I’m aware, are in the 400 range with a few at 600.

However, go on eBay and you can find both for several hundred cheaper brand new.

I'll be a little more picky than you.  :)  The UHD alliance has set 1,000 nits as the HDR baseline (their are many SDR TVS that are in the 500 nits range).  There are a number of TVs (such as the Samsung QLEDs) that are "reportedly" in the 1,500 to 2,000 nits range -- which I'm guessing is the TV he saw at Best Buy.

(I recognize that the LG OLEDs I want are below 1,000 -- but I also wouldn't use one for a monitor.)

38 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'll be a little more picky than you.  :)  The UHD alliance has set 1,000 nits as the HDR baseline (their are many SDR TVS that are in the 500 nits range).  There are a number of TVs (such as the Samsung QLEDs) that are "reportedly" in the 1,500 to 2,000 nits range -- which I'm guessing is the TV he saw at Best Buy.

(I recognize that the LG OLEDs I want are below 1,000 -- but I also wouldn't use one for a monitor.)

800-1000 is fine for something that’s 12” away from your face. :p 

My PG27UQ has nearly blinded me with HDR effects on several occasions.