Good Omens Discussion Thread

I didn’t see a thread but if one exists feel free to merge it. 

Ive only watched the first episode so far but it was PHENOMENAL. Looks like it’s going to stick closer to the book than American Gods has so far. This show captures the vibe of book so so well, it’s really impressive. Can’t wait to watch the rest tomorrow. 

I finished the whole series with my wife. I enjoyed it but the show meanders a lot and isn't often as funny as it thinks it is. It's mostly a lark. It adapts the book well enough but not everything that worked on the page translates well to the screen. Tennant-Sheen chemistry is easily the best part of the show, but the denouement was lame as hell. I enjoyed it though similarly as in the vein of stuff like Pushing Daisies and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and that's high praise but I felt it could have been better.

7/10. Good but ultimately forgettable. Solid style to the show though, I liked all the little details and world building.

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I finished the whole series with my wife. I enjoyed it but the show meanders a lot and isn't often as funny as it thinks it is. It's mostly a lark. It adapts the book well enough but not everything that worked on the page translates well to the screen. Tennant-Sheen chemistry is easily the best part of the show, but the denouement was lame as hell. I enjoyed it though similarly as in the vein of stuff like Pushing Daisies and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and that's high praise but I felt it could have been better.

7/10. Good but ultimately forgettable. Solid style to the show though, I liked all the little details and world building.

I agree. It's entertaining, and solidly stylish, but the humor never quite reached Hitchhiker's Guide. Tennant and Sheen are quite entertaining, which is good since the whole of the series relies on them.

One specific gripe my wife and I had was that it really felt like the voice of God really should have been British. I love Frances McDormand, but she felt out of place for this show.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I agree. It's entertaining, and solidly stylish, but the humor never quite reached Hitchhiker's Guide. Tennant and Sheen are quite entertaining, which is good since the whole of the series relies on them.

One specific gripe my wife and I had was that it really felt like the voice of God really should have been British. I love Frances McDormand, but she felt out of place for this show.

I didn't mind that God wasn't British (though I can see how that would have helped) but I think the show simply had too much time jumping around and way too much narration. We watch everything with subtitles on and even then it was hard to keep up with everything that was going on even though a lot of it amounted to not much.

I've watched two episodes and while I am enjoying it and plan to finish it up... this show is trying way to hard to be quirky and weird and is way less funny than it thinks it is.

Leaning heavily into quirky/weird/edgy is a tricky tightrope to walk and I don't feel like they're really sticking the landing...

Also, I'm not familiar with the book at all, but it feels too close to the Omen. Like, did he watch the Omen and decide to do a remix or what? Maybe I'm dumb and the Omen's plot with the ambassador and baby swapping was based on some biblical thing or whatever, but I thought the general concept was one that was pretty original, yes?

It actually feels like someone took Preacher and the Umbrella Academy and mushed them together but couldn't pull it off as well.

13 minutes ago, ort said:

I've watched two episodes and while I am enjoying it and plan to finish it up... this show is trying way to hard to be quirky and weird and is way less funny than it thinks it is.

Leaning heavily into quirky/weird/edgy is a tricky tightrope to walk and I don't feel like they're really sticking the landing...

Also, I'm not familiar with the book at all, but it feels too close to the Omen. Like, did he watch the Omen and decide to do a remix or what? Maybe I'm dumb and the Omen's plot with the ambassador and baby swapping was based on some biblical thing or whatever, but I thought the general concept was one that was pretty original, yes?

It actually feels like someone took Preacher and the Umbrella Academy and mushed them together but couldn't pull it off as well.

It's based on a book from 1990, if that helps explain why it may seem derivative somewhat. The book was quite new at the time for its voice, etc. Also it gets better in episodes 3 and 4 so continue watching first. It kind of fizzles in the end but there are really good bits but overall I agree with you. I lean more towards Gaiman's darker material like The Sandman or American Gods than I do Good Omens or Stardust (though I'm a fan of the Stardust and Coraline film adaptations).

Yeah, but the Omen came out in 1976. My question is... is all of the anti-christ/baby switching/hell hound/satanic nuns/evil nanny stuff based on something specific or is it purely ripped off from the Omen movie (or book I suppose). Because it was so close that it sort of threw me for a loop.

Yeah, they even played off the name Damian, which I just looked up and only dates back to the movie/book. So, obviously they aren't hiding the homage, but at the same time... I dunno. Feels a little lazy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ort said:

Yeah, but the Omen came out in 1976. My question is... is all of the anti-christ/baby switching/hell hound/satanic nuns/evil nanny stuff based on something specific or is it purely ripped off from the Omen movie (or book I suppose). Because it was so close that it sort of threw me for a loop.

Yeah, they even played off the name Damian, which I just looked up and only dates back to the movie/book. So, obviously they aren't hiding the homage, but at the same time... I dunno. Feels a little lazy.

It’s an intentional nod to it. It’s not trying to rip it off without anyone noticing.