2019 WWDC: the death of iTunes

11:12 am    Safari does all the heavy lifting, so you won't get mobile site but will get a desktop site sized for the iPad display. Works for Google Docs, SquareSpace and Wordpress. Download manager, 30 new keyboard shortcuts.

11:11 am    Safari on iPad adds "Desktop-class browsing"
11:10 am    Import photos directly to apps from a camera.

11:10 am    USB drive and SD card support.
11:10 am    Built-in support for SMB file sharing.
11:09 am    iCloud Drive folder sharing.
11:09 am    File preview, quick actions, rich metadata.

11:07 am    Multi-window capability for apps on iPad. Can show two windows from the same app, side by side.
11:06 am    Multitasking with Slideover. Drag up to swipe through Slideover apps, like app switching on an iPhone X.

also no more shake to undo

spacer.png

much closer to a laptop experience now

I'm excited for some of the iPadOS updates. Widgets on the homescreen is something that should have been around long ago. Desktop class browsing on iPad has been a real pain point for a while. USB drive support is great, but native SMB is really nice for our company usage. Direct camera uploading to the iPad is something I might actually use.

A lot of the multitasking and additional gestures look kinda useful, but also very unintuitive. I doubt a lot of people will use them. When I think about someone like my father using an iPad instead of a laptop, the things that prevent it are never the lack of complicated multitasking gestures.

I also really wish they added mouse support. It would really change the potential use cases for the iPad, and with Marzipan/Catalyst, it only makes sense.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I also really wish they added mouse support. It would really change the potential use cases for the iPad, and with Marzipan/Catalyst, it only makes sense.

Good news for you

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/03/apple-ipad-mouse-support-ipados-wwdc/

36 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

After seeing the minimal changes to iOS, and the complete lack of any substantial changes coming in the next iPhone, I feel even better about switching to the OnePlus 7 Pro. 

I'm pretty happy with the changes, while I wish it was more, I know that Apple is always a step behind in adding features. 

The photos app definitely needed a redesign desperately. It was a jumbled mess. Now they just need to fix the music app, control center, and notification screen.

Dark mode is something everyone has wanted forever.

Face ID faster, apps open 2x faster, maps gets a big update (though I imagine most people will still use google maps). 

It's pretty audacious for Apple to sell the $6000 monitor without a stand and without any way to connect a stand. When they said the special stand was $1000, I laughed, but it's an unnecessary upgrade, so whatever. When they said that you had to pay $200 to connect it to a normal stand I thought that was ridiculous, but again, I assumed it would ship with some kind of stand. I realize that this is strictly for Pros and will mostly be paid for by the large companies they work for, but it's still kind of insane nickel and diming to not include any kind of stand or any way to connect a standard mount. I guess they gave Pros so much of what they asked for (and much they didn't), so Apple didn't feel compelled to make anything cheap.

The Mac Pro is a pretty slick piece of engineering. I don't need one, and I don't like the look of it, but scrolling through the web page and getting a better look inside, and it's pretty awesome how the CPU and expansion ports are on one side, and the other side has the memory and storage. It's not entirely different from what ASUS is advocating with their Prime Utopia concept. Asus also put some of the connectors on PCIe slots, and made the board double sided, though they wanted to put the graphics and CPU on separate sides.

Something else I forgot to mention when it comes to iPad Mutlitasking, is that they really need to make more apps support it. Right now a bunch of the apps that I use don't support multitasking at all, and many that do don't work correctly. Feedly, for example, will allow slide over windows or split screen docking, but when you do that the app hides info from you. It's not like you get the iPhone version, there is content the app is "showing" that you can't see.

Even big apps like Gmail don't support multitasking at all, and some apps haven't even been updated to the new aspect ratio of the iPad Pros. The iOS/iPad ecosystem seems like it must be at least as complicated as Android if a dev actually wants to support everything (I'd love to hear from some devs if that's true). More multitasking modes is great, and some things (like the keyboard stuff) must be "free" to devs, but they need find some way to make apps better support these kinds of things if they want the iPad to be a "real computer."

As it stands, not only is multitasking on the iPad still undiscoverable and overly complicated, it's horribly inconsistent. It's impossible to look at an app and tell when and how it will work while multitasking, and that's a big pain point.

That monitor is more of a competitor to $10,000 studio monitors and is actually competitively priced in that space.

That said, why not also make a monitor for regular folks? They need a $1,000ish 27" screen also...

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

It's pretty audacious for Apple to sell the $6000 monitor without a stand and without any way to connect a stand. When they said the special stand was $1000, I laughed, but it's an unnecessary upgrade, so whatever. When they said that you had to pay $200 to connect it to a normal stand I thought that was ridiculous, but again, I assumed it would ship with some kind of stand. I realize that this is strictly for Pros and will mostly be paid for by the large companies they work for, but it's still kind of insane nickel and diming to not include any kind of stand or any way to connect a standard mount. I guess they gave Pros so much of what they asked for (and much they didn't), so Apple didn't feel compelled to make anything cheap.

According to Jarred Land, president of Red Digital Cinema, it comes with a stand. He was very involved in helping to guide Apple back to the high end pro market here, so I believe his claim is likely correct.

Also, looks like the most expensive BTO option for the new macPro will be in the $50,000 range and my head just exploded!

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

According to Jarred Land, president of Red Digital Cinema, it comes with a stand. He was very involved in helping to guide Apple back to the high end pro market here, so I believe his claim is likely correct.

Also, looks like the most expensive BTO option for the new macPro will be in the $50,000 range and my head just exploded!

Isn't $50k like $400 for you? 

Spoiler

:troll:

18 hours ago, sblfilms said:

If it comes with a stand, then it's all mostly forgiven. I still think it should include the VESA mount, but in the end the price isn't a huge deal for the monitor or the Mac Pro. I think it's all pretty reasonably priced, given the tech involved. I do wonder how many super high end pro Mac customers Apple has lost since the last Mac Pro got so old, but I imagine those that have been waiting are pretty happy.

54 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

If it comes with a stand, then it's all mostly forgiven. I still think it should include the VESA mount, but in the end the price isn't a huge deal for the monitor or the Mac Pro. I think it's all pretty reasonably priced, given the tech involved. I do wonder how many super high end pro Mac customers Apple has lost since the last Mac Pro got so old, but I imagine those that have been waiting are pretty happy.

Aren't VESA mounts a standard part? If that's right then Apple might be betting that people buying this monitor probably already have a VESA mount.