Should I play Yakuza 6 if I haven't played any others in the series?

I've always had my eye on this series, and recently picked up Yakuza 6 on sale, because it came with a cool art book.  I understand that ideally these games would be played in order (starting with Yakuza 0), but given that I bought 6 already, and that I will likely miss out on 3, 4 and 5 unless they are remastered, will I be okay to start playing 6?  I'm curious if anybody else has played them out of order, and just how much they thought that hampered their experience.

I would recommend Yakuza 0 first because it is my favorite in the series and it will help setup Kazuma. After that, you could watch the story recaps of 1-5 and then play 6.  6 is the end of all time great character and his story. 

What platform are you playing on?

12 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I've always had my eye on this series, and recently picked up Yakuza 6 on sale, because it came with a cool art book.  I understand that ideally these games would be played in order (starting with Yakuza 0), but given that I bought 6 already, and that I will likely miss out on 3, 4 and 5 unless they are remastered, will I be okay to start playing 6?  I'm curious if anybody else has played them out of order, and just how much they thought that hampered their experience.

3-5 have been remastered and released in Japan but they just haven't been released here yet. It does sound like they will eventually get released here though.

I've only played 0 and 1 before playing 6.  I also got 6 cause it was cheap and I was so confused on some of the characters and all the extra factions in the game, but I still finished it anyway.  

0 is still my fave out of the 3 i've played though.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:43 AM, Remarkableriots said:

3-5 have been remastered and released in Japan but they just haven't been released here yet. It does sound like they will eventually get released here though.

Yeah, they're going to be released in the US.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:28 AM, Eggman76 said:

0 and Kiwami are really good.  Kiwami 2 will be released fairly soon

Kiwami 2 came out last year.