Teacher caught on video kicking 5-year-old could face criminal charges

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teacher-caught-video-kicking-5-year-old-could-face-criminal-n1000816

A Kansas elementary school teacher who was seen in a surveillance video kicking a 5-year-old student could face criminal charges.

The second-year teacher, identified by a spokesman for the Shawnee Mission School District as Crystal Smith, was fired a month after the Feb. 21 incident at Bluejacket-Flint Elementary School in Shawnee, a suburb of Kansas City.

The teacher told the mother that the girl had hit her even though that's not shown in the video.

The girl's mother, who contacted the school the day of the incident, said that she had a red mark on her arm when she came home. Asked about her day, the child reportedly replied, "I don’t like my teacher. She’s really mean. She hit me on my arm."

The mother said she later had a conversation with the teacher in question, which she secretly recorded. The teacher replied that she wasn't "surprised" the child had marks on her. 

"She was crawling in the bookshelf," the teacher said. "She has a red spot on her arm. And I'm not surprised because she shoved herself into that bookshelf … I mean, she kicked me a couple of times. She was reaching over into the bookshelf pulling books out and there were those metal, metal book divider things."

• Guillotine 1