Shazam! Trailer and Discussion Thread

David F. Sandberg (“Annabelle: Creation”) directs New Line Cinema’s “Shazam!,” the origin story that stars Zachary Levi (TV’s “Chuck”) as the titular DC Super Hero, along with Asher Angel (TV’s “Andi Mack”) as Billy Batson, and Mark Strong (the “Kingsman” movies) in the role of Super-Villain Dr. Thaddeus Sivana.  Peter Safran (“Aquaman,” “The Conjuring” and “Annabelle” films) serves as the film’s producer.

We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out.  In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard.  Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them!  Can he fly?  Does he have X-ray vision?  Can he shoot lightning out of his hands?  Can he skip his social studies test?  Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child.  But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong).

“Shazam!” also stars Jack Dylan Grazer (“IT”) as Billy’s best friend and ultimate superhero enthusiast, Freddy, part of the foster family that includes Mary, played by Grace Fulton (“Annabelle: Creation”); Darla, played by Faithe Herman (TV’s “This is Us”); Eugene, played by Ian Chen (TV’s “Fresh Off the Boat”); and Pedro, played by Jovan Armand (TV’s “Hawaii Five-O”).  Cooper Andrews (TV’s “The Walking Dead”) and Marta Milans (TV’s “Killer Women”) play foster parents Victor and Rosa Vasquez, with Oscar nominee Djimon Hounsou (“Blood Diamond”) as the Wizard.

Firmly set in the DC universe but with his own distinctly fun, family-centric tone, the screenplay is by Henry Gayden, story by Gayden and Darren Lemke.  Shazam was created by Bill Parker and C.C. Beck.  Christopher Godsick, Jeffrey Chernov, Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia serve as executive producers.

Sandberg’s creative team includes his “Annabelle: Creation” director of photography Maxime Alexandre, production designer Jennifer Spence, editor Michel Aller and costume designer Leah Butler.

A New Line Cinema production, “Shazam!” is set for release on April 5, 2019.  It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I think ultra goofy is the selling point for the movie. Shazam! doesn't want to be grouped with the Avengers, Batman, or other serious super hero movies. Shazam! is more akin to Deadpool in that respect.

oh I totally get that, but there is well done goofy and then there is shlock 

51 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

oh I totally get that, but there is well done goofy and then there is shlock 

Agreed, and I have no idea which side this movie will fall on, but it's definitely aimed at kids/teenagers and is definitely very earnest. I mean, makes sense, it's Shazam!, not Batman. But yeah, very earnest. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have to say that was a damn fun movie and without question the DCEU movie I've enjoyed the most. The only thing I didn't really like was something I already knew I didn't like, and that's Shazam's costume. I haven't liked it from the start. Looks too cheesy, like it escaped from the 90's ala the original Flash TV series. But other than that it was a lot of fun. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here. I knew the Rock was signed to do a Black Adam flick, but I didn't realize he was also an executive producer for this one as well. 

25 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Sooooo say Shazam franchise lasts like 10 years. Are Zachary Levi and co. Going to stay the Shazam people? Cuz they all looked like they just transformed into their older selves and Mary is basically an adult and 22 irl. 

22 minutes ago, johnny said:
  Hide contents

Sooooo say Shazam franchise lasts like 10 years. Are Zachary Levi and co. Going to stay the Shazam people? Cuz they all looked like they just transformed into their older selves and Mary is basically an adult and 22 irl. 

that is anyone's guess, though technically 

Spoiler

they don't transform into their adult selves, they transform into their ideal/perfect selves. While I doubt any of them will get their own films, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them back for the sequel. Billy is supposed to be the true star..."THE real Shazam". I can't say I followed Shazam even back when I was really into comics, but I know the family becoming Shazam did happen in the comics. Digging on the net a little, it appears that Mary was the only one to ever get her own comic. 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, EternallDarkness said:

I knew the Rock was signed to do a Black Adam flick, but I didn't realize he was also an executive producer for this one as well. 

Smart move on his part. If he can afford it, and does it right his money will just get to make money. He may be an action star, but he’s getting up there in age too. 

5 hours ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Really enjoyed it. So glad that DC seems to finally get their stride. Thank goodness Zach Snyder stayed clear away from it. 

Indeed. Fun movie, and I am glad Snyder had nothing to do with it. 

It will be a shame if this takes place in the defunct Snyder-verse. But it was cool to see other DC references. 

One thing I will say, and it was a feeling aid had during Aquaman too; No way all that fighting and chaos happens in a world that has a Superman without him intervening. It’s why I respected Nolan’s decision to play it like Batman was the only hero, super or otherwise, in his universe. Weirdly enough in shazam I had to suspend disbelief more on this than the kid having magic super powers. 

• Like 1