Ohio State coach Urban Meyer set to announce retirement, Ryan Day to replace him with Buckeyes

SaysWho?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ohio-state-coach-urban-meyer-set-to-announce-retirement-ryan-day-to-replace-him-with-buckeyes/

Ohio State has shared that coach Urban Meyer, a three-time national champion and future College Football Hall of Famer, will announce his retirement at a 2 p.m. ET press conference on Tuesday. Meyer will coach his last game in the Rose Bowl vs. Washington on Jan. 1, 2019, and be succeeded by offensive coordinator Ryan Day. Also in attendance at the press conference will be athletic director Gene Smith.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

37 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Harbaughs inability to pull one out against OSU, ESPECIALLY this year, is hilarious.

I don't mind Harbaugh at all, and since I dislike Urban Meyer, I wish he could have gotten one win over Meyer's team before the retirement. Oh well.

I guess now I won't actually have to root against OSU (no offense). :p 

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't mind Harbaugh at all, and since I dislike Urban Meyer, I wish he could have gotten one win over Meyer's team before the retirement. Oh well.

I guess now I won't actually have to root against OSU (no offense). :p 

I can't see how anyone would ever cheer for OSU, they are so unlikeable.

5 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I can't see how anyone would ever cheer for OSU, they are so unlikeable.

I mean, I wouldn't be cheering for them, but I didn't really have an opinion until Urban got there. And then it was like, "YOU MUST FAIL."

Now I'm probably back to neutral; I don't dislike teams besides our main rivals (Tennessee, Georgia, FSU).

Urban Meyer Leaves Another Program Disgraced—and It Won't Be His Last

"But if you're USC, Auburn, Florida State or any other major program, are you willing to sell your souls for championships, knowing full well the future collateral damage?

Do you hire a coach who allegedly hid drug-test failures on the Florida sideline by having players wear walking boots so it looked like they were injured?

Do you hire a coach who proclaims respecting women is his No. 1 priority but allows star tailback Carlos Hyde to return to the team after just a three-game suspension when video evidence showed Hyde slapping a woman at a bar?

Do you hire a coach who did nothing after a star player (Percy Harvin) allegedly attacked one of his assistant coaches at Florida?

Do you hire a coach who created an environment where another assistant, Smith, allegedly got into an altercation with a player (Trevon Grimes), used a racial slur and had to leave in the middle of the season to go make it right with the Grimes family?"

The video on Carlos Hyde is unclear if he actual struck her, and three games seems appropriate given that he wasn't charged with anything by the woman or Columbus PD (who did arrest JT Barrett for his drinking and driving incident. Columbus is a big city, and this ain't the Tallahassee PD a la FSU shenanigans around jameis Winston)

Not defending the actions of these kids, but Ohio State largely got a Meyer who learned from his mistakes with regard to student athletes (still had a blind spot for long time assistants though)