Halo (Paramount+, March 24) - series renewed for second season, will show Master Chief's face

On 4/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, TwinIon said:

Maybe if we were introduced to the Spartans in such a way that cemented the need for them; as humanities greatest hope against a superior foe, the brainchild of their most celebrated scientist in her desperate attempt to save the human race. Once you've established how great and important the Spartan program is, how desperate the situation and the righteousness of their cause, then the secrets surrounding its creation and the horrors inflicted on the Spartans themselves present a real quandary.

Instead of tortured scientist crosses ethical lines for a perceived greater good, we get sociopath kidnaps children (and flash clones their replacements with a terminal time bomb!) in order to make better soldiers because she could. There's no discovery about these characters or even self discovery, because they all know they crossed lines and are only now kicking her out because of convenience.

the closest canon ever got to that was reading that the human politics around the galaxy were fractured. Planets and groups were rising up against the central government  on earth. Spartans were created as a form of squashing resistance. Their conscription, training, augmentation, and Mjolnir armor systems were happening before the first Covenant attack on a human colony.

They had 1 mission against a human rebel base, and after that got repurposed for the war against the covenant, where the military tried to brand them as saviors of humanity.

It’s also part of why the rule “a Spartan never dies” exists. Not that they can’t be killed, but because there was a fear of losing moral. So any Spartan that dies in combat is classified “Missing in Action”. At least until Reach.

This comes back around in the books as the truth about the Spartans, their origins as abducted children, and their original purpose started coming to light. The military left Dr Halsey out as the scape goat. Pretending she acted without oversight. Branding her a war criminal.

to make the Spartan program seem necessary, they’d have to paint a picture of human colonized space on the verge of civil war. Ready to burn humanity out of the stars, with the Spartans being the best plan to stop it. It’s faster to just throw them into the on going Covenant war. Easier for an initiated audience to get in to the story more quickly.

there’s plenty to fault this show for. I don’t know if that’s their biggest sin.  

30 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Not familar with the source material, is there any in universe explanation why Dr Halsey doesn't age? She looks the same in the 30+ years ago flashback scenes with child John as she does the rest of the series.

Bad makeup?

I dunno. I thought she looked slightly younger. :p

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Not familar with the source material, is there any in universe explanation why Dr Halsey doesn't age? She looks the same in the 30+ years ago flashback scenes with child John as she does the rest of the series.

This is because the creators of this show aren't familiar with the source material, Halsey is supposed to be much older when this is all taking place.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the closest canon ever got to that was reading that the human politics around the galaxy were fractured. Planets and groups were rising up against the central government  on earth. Spartans were created as a form of squashing resistance. Their conscription, training, augmentation, and Mjolnir armor systems were happening before the first Covenant attack on a human colony.

They had 1 mission against a human rebel base, and after that got repurposed for the war against the covenant, where the military tried to brand them as saviors of humanity.

It’s also part of why the rule “a Spartan never dies” exists. Not that they can’t be killed, but because there was a fear of losing moral. So any Spartan that dies in combat is classified “Missing in Action”. At least until Reach.

This comes back around in the books as the truth about the Spartans, their origins as abducted children, and their original purpose started coming to light. The military left Dr Halsey out as the scape goat. Pretending she acted without oversight. Branding her a war criminal.

to make the Spartan program seem necessary, they’d have to paint a picture of human colonized space on the verge of civil war. Ready to burn humanity out of the stars, with the Spartans being the best plan to stop it. It’s faster to just throw them into the on going Covenant war. Easier for an initiated audience to get in to the story more quickly.

there’s plenty to fault this show for. I don’t know if that’s their biggest sin.  

Fair enough. I don't know the story beyond the game, and I didn't mean to portraying the only way I thought it could work, just an option that would have put some emotional weight behind the choices the show ended up making.

In the end they put a lot of focus on the creation of the spartan program and all the evils that Halsey and crew were willing to commit, but there's never any context to their choices. Maybe I missed some lines in the show, but from what I could gather by the end, the whole program was born from Halsey's hatred for humanity. That might be a motivation for her, but it's hardly an explanation as to why anyone was willing to go along with her.

Still, I agree that this is hardly the show's biggest issue. So much of what happens in the show has no real context and doesn't give us a reason to care.

I've never watched one of these but decided to watch this last episode for whatever reason. The interviews are whatever, it's not like they're going to flame the show but sounds like producers are happy with it. I thought the most interesting thing was the behind the scenes stuff. The covenant dudes were not CG 🤔

279922031_2833461633630270_3857021457511
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Executive producers Kiki Wolfkill and Steven Kane join Sydnee Goodman this week in #HaloTheSeries Declassified to talk about that incredible season...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...