Halo (Paramount+, March 24) - series renewed for second season, will show Master Chief's face

3 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

I don't have Paramount+ and I don't see myself getting it for this, but it didn't look terrible.

Hard to say who will carry this in Canada, but this might make it to our version of CTV Sci-Fi channel or Showcase. Really hope it doesn’t go on Crave which is our crappy HBO GO/SHOWTIME streamer with not many 4K/Atmos offerings

Why isn't she blue? 

Why is there a human who seems to be working with the Covenant? Is she even human, or an alien that looks human? 

I'm no Halo lore buff, but this strikes me as a possible series that is really going to be Halo in visuals only. Changes to the canon can certainly work and be good, but this might be something that changes things too much. 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The series isn't going to be considered part of the "canon".

I know, that's what I'm saying that it could go either way. That they're doing something different for the sake of different mediums could work in this format, or it could be too different that make people wonder why they didn't stick closer to stuff from the games. 

I think the trailer looks pretty good. I agree that I wish Cortana was blue, but I don't really have that much attachment to Halo's story. If they need to change things up, that's fine with me.

By far the most jarring thing is Master Chief's voice, but that seems like a necessary translation issue from game to screen.

As with virtually all video game adaptations, my default assumption is that it will suck until proven otherwise. I'd be happy if this could be the exception.

Hmmm. This doesn't look good. The effects are what I'd expect to see if this were adapted as a television show when the game came out. Like you look at the elites and any animation with them in it and it looks so cartooney. Everything looks pretty bland and uninspiring considering its source material. The props look like, well, props and not real objects. It feels like somebody took a CBS weeknight serial and put Halo on top of it.

I'll still watch it and bitch about it here weekly though.

• Haha 1

The best parts of the Halo franchise are when you roll into a big open area, the strings and timpani kick in, and a bunch of big, dumb, fun shit happens. I dunno if you can recreate that in a show. It's sort of the opposite of the issue I'd have with an Uncharted / The Last of Us show, where the games are already so cinematic that for me it doesn't seem like talking away the interactivity will make it more interesting. Those games are about the moments made for you, where the best of Halo is the stuff you make happen yourself. I'll be interested to see where they go with it. At least The Mandalorian just happened so we don't have to speculate about whether or not it's possible to have a good show about a dude who never takes off his helmet. :p

On 12/18/2021 at 6:56 PM, PaladinSolo said:

So uhhhh this is probably going to be stupid, like "we got all these books and games we could use or.... just fuck it."

halotvseriesofficialtrailerignblogroll-1
WWW.IGN.COM

The Halo universe has an ever-expanding canon, but we're now learning the upcoming Halo TV series coming to Paramount Plus won't be a part of the current canon.

yeah makes want to say “then what’s the point?” 

there’s plenty of Halo stories from before shit got really dumb that could look good on video with right budget. 

meh I’ll still watch it for an episode or two. Not sure I like that his signature voice has been replaced to sound like Din Djarin from Mandalorian. 

also, even if it isn’t cannon, Im already prepared to be annoyed if they have flashbacks of the Spartans getting their first Mjolnir suits and they are shown to be the Mark VI, and not the Mark IV, then the upgraded Mark V before finding the Halo Ring when they escaped Reach. 

• 2 weeks later...
halotvseriesinterviewblogroll-1645124988
WWW.IGN.COM

We sat down with the cast Paramount+'s Halo TV Series! Meet everyone from Pablo Schreiber, starring as Master Chief, Natascha McElhone as Catherine Halsey, Jen Taylor as Cortana, and the rest of the crew as we discuss all things Halo. How will the Halo TV Series be different from the games? Will we see the Warthog in action? Will there be any easter eggs? Let's find out in our interview with the cast and crew! The...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Halo (Paramount+, March 24) - series renewed for second season, will show Master Chief's face
  • 4 weeks later...

So I didn't know they weren't dropping these all at the same time, just a weekly drip. So if you want to take advantage of the game pass deal you have till May 23rd, and then you could watch all the episodes by then.

I watched the first episode, it's fine I suppose, especially a show that no one seems to want. The show is surprisingly violent, like even more than the games. Bodies are exploding and getting dismembered, blood all over the place. There are some nice nods to the game though, sometimes it shifts to a first person visor view and even uses the shield charging sound effect from the game. The story so far is focusing on what seems like a bunch of different factions. Rebels who don't like UNSC, UNSC themselves (and then even inside seems to be splintered), the Spartans (It's actually a squad kinda like Breach), and of course the Covenant. There are a lot of familiar names but it's been long time so their importance is lost on me at the moment.

I think your enjoyment hinges on how much you can get past the nit picky things. Like why use Cortana's voice but not her likeness but use Master Chief's likeness but not his voice? And his voice in this is almost like Christian Bale's Batman style voice, eeeh, but you get used to it I guess. 🤷‍♂️ Also, the Covenent are big thicc boys. I thought in the game they looked relatively slender but in this they are some chunky boys, and the Spartans got big chunk armor too. (Mama got ass too?)

But overall it's ok so far, nothing that's super turned me off from watching it.

I watched the first 15 minutes with my son and he decided to quit after that. He called it power rangers in Halo world. The kid is cold! I didn’t think it was that bad, but the film speed and lighting, to me, make the CGI and the real elements stand apart in an unfavorable way.