Heat 2 in Pre-Production, Shooting Planned For This Summer, says Michael Mann

WWW.WORLDOFREEL.COM

Michael Mann is telling Radio France that he is deep in pre-production mode on “Heat 2” and that, judging by the stacks of papers on his desk, it’s “definitely” his next film. A summer 2024 shoot is being eyed.

Mann has stated that there would be time jumps in the sequel

It’s going to be a combination [of CG and makeup]. And so, it won’t be [Robert De Niro] and Al [Pacino] playing McCauley and Hanna,” explained Mann. “And it actually starts eight years earlier than the movie. It starts in 1988, and then it’s gonna jump to 2000. But I don’t really know who to cast until I’ve actually written the screenplay, but I’m in the middle of writing the screenplay right now. And Warner Bros. have been very patient.

We already know that Adam Driver will most likely take on the role of Neil MacCauley (originally played by Robert De Niro). Other actors who are rumoured to have been offered roles in the film include Austin Butler and Ana de Armas.

It's Michael Mann, he's never done a sequel before and it's certainly ambitious to try and reach the heights of the first Heat by making a sequel, but I hope hope/faith. He already co-authored a book version of Heat 2 which took him awhile, so this has been in the incubator for a bit, which I think helps. This may very well be Mann's last film too, given his age. 

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The main issue with this film as I see it is that the book isn't particularly good at all.

Did you read it? I'm curious as to your further thoughts (without spoilers as I have not read it).

29 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I’ve never read it, but I’ve heard the opposite, that the book is fantastic.

I heard the same, that it's pretty good.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

You're telling me they wrote a book as a sequel to the movie Heat?

That is correct, it was co-written by Michael Mann, came out a few years ago. It's both a prequel and a sequel to the original film. Mann has been using the novel as a jumping off point to get a film version off the ground, which is now happening, likely with Adam Driver (De Niro's role) and Austin Butler (Kilmer's role) in lead roles.

4 hours ago, Moa said:

You're telling me they wrote a book as a sequel to the movie Heat?

News to me as well. I was waiting for someone to mention the name of the book. I thought it must have come out under a different title because I hadn’t heard of it before. Nope, it’s just called Heat 2 haha.