Update: Kaiser Permanente and its unions have reached a tentative agreement

APNEWS.COM

Picketing has begun at Kaiser Permanente hospitals as some 75,000 workers who say understaffing is hurting patient care go on strike in five states and the District of Columbia.

Picketing began Wednesday morning at Kaiser Permanente hospitals as some 75,000 health care workers go on strike in Virginia, California and three other states over wages and staffing shortages, marking the latest major labor unrest in the United States.

Kaiser Permanente is one of the country’s larger insurers and health care system operators, with 39 hospitals nationwide. The non-profit company, based in Oakland, California, provides health coverage for nearly 13 million people, sending customers to clinics and hospitals it runs or contracts with to provide care.

The Coalition of Kaiser Permanente Unions, representing about 85,000 of the health system’s employees nationally, approved a strike for three days in California, Colorado, Oregon and Washington, and for one day in Virginia and Washington, D.C.

The strikers include licensed vocational nurses, home health aides and ultrasound sonographers, as well as technicians in radiology, X-ray, surgical, pharmacy and emergency departments.

Doctors are not participating, and Kaiser says its hospitals, including emergency rooms, will remain open during the picketing. The company said it was bringing in thousands of temporary workers to fill gaps during the strike. But the strike could lead to delays in getting appointments and non-urgent procedures being rescheduled.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

For a non-profit they sure charge an arm and a leg.

PADDOCKPOST.COM

Kaiser Health is one of many terms (Kaiser, Kaiser Permanente, etc) that refers to one of the nation's largest not-for-profit health care insurers and providers with more than 12 million...

someone gotta fund the executive lavish pay

a company that has billions in profits can label itself as NFP and get away with paying no federal taxes and receive local tax breaks is absurd to me. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Brian said:
PADDOCKPOST.COM

Kaiser Health is one of many terms (Kaiser, Kaiser Permanente, etc) that refers to one of the nation's largest not-for-profit health care insurers and providers with more than 12 million...

someone gotta fund the executive lavish pay

a company that has billions in profits can label itself as NFP and get away with paying no federal taxes and receive local tax breaks is absurd to me. 

Capitalism baby

4 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Gonna go to my local Kaiser and wear my union scrubs, we’re different unions but closely affiliated, and walk the line today. Our union conference begins tomorrow too.

Now the question is, baseball bat or no baseball bat.

You've already got dem guns.

19 hours ago, brucoe said:

Just raise their wages and pass on the charges to customers so that lab visit will cost $75,000 instead of $72,000.

Sounds like someone needs better insurance that only people in high earning jobs can have access to so your fault for not being successful!

Anyway, I decided no bat but I may or may not have yelled at a few scabs, I did tape the arms up though.

obligatory 

The videos he did are depressing even for someone like me who knows this shit, the amount of transfers I see role through my ER while we board more admitted patients then we have licensed beds causes me to rage. Being told “let’s downgrade this icu patient”aka fix them, so they can save icu beds for their prior authorization transfers and elective surgeries, I don’t even bother to hide it anymore, at the bedside in front of family I’ll call them out, last time I said I hope we get fucking sued for this. That patient coded and died, 30s malignancy with Mets after being in my er admitted for three days at icu level criteria but wouldn’t admit them to fucking icu despite being well past intermediate level. Guess the patients ethnicity ya’ll, hmm.

Also Jimothy is my spirit animal.

Fun fact, my hospitals ceo gets 2.2 million plus bonuses and a fucking housing stipend paid for by California taxpayers.

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The strike, which ran for three days, marked the largest work stoppage to date in the healthcare sector

Kaiser Permanente’s healthcare workers unions have reached a tentative agreement with the company, the union said in a social media post on Friday.

The California-based care consortium and the union representing healthcare workers resumed negotiations on Thursday, more than a week after contract talks broke off at the start of a 72-hour strike by 75,000 nurses, medical technicians and support staff.

The strike, which ran for three days, marked the largest work stoppage to date in the healthcare sector.

The dispute was focused on workers’ demands for better pay and measures to ease chronic staff shortages and high turnover that union officials say has undermined patient care at Kaiser, a leading nonprofit hospital network and managed-care organization.

“A big moment for Kaiser workers! Strikes work. When working people demand to be heard, bosses have no choice but to come to the table!” Mary Kay Henry, president of Service Employees International Union, which represents many of the workers at Kaiser Permanente, wrote on X.

Details of the agreement have yet to be announced by the unions.

• Thanks 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Kaiser Permanente and its unions have reached a tentative agreement