Mario vs. Donkey Kong | Coming February 16, 2024 - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Feb 16, 2024)

Trailer:

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 average - 82% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Areajugones - Claudio Torres - Spanish - 8 / 10

It's a very faithful remake in terms of gameplay, with all the good and all the bad that comes with it. But the level design is still excellent, and the new worlds that this version brings are a breath of fresh air that suits it wonderfully. Mario's reduced mobility may shock those who are more accustomed to the plumber's big jumps and pirouettes in games that are purely platformers, but what makes Mario vs. Donkey Kong shine is its puzzles and the ingenuity behind them.

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 90 / 100

A great return for a great GBA game. The number of new things and quality of life improvements makes this remake of Mario vs. Donkey Kong a must have.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 8 / 10

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong is an excellent little pocket puzzler that is sure to please fans and newcomers alike.

COGconnected - James Paley - 80 / 100

The puzzles in this game are clever, well-constructed, and satisfying to solve. At the same time, the platforming can be frustrating. The jump mechanics take some getting used to, and the controls don’t have that Mario feel. But this too is a sort of puzzle to solve. You’ve got to learn the basics all over again, in a way. Once I accepted this, Mario vs Donkey Kong really opened up for me. I took my failures in stride. I pushed for perfection whenever possible. Soon enough I was having a great time. For longtime Mario fans new to this series, this new paradigm might take some adjustment. But I assure you, this investment of time and effort is worth it.

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 7.5 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong has been remade nearly perfectly, and it's certainly great for any forgotten title to get an update and a facelift. The platforming is still tight, but the simple truth is that puzzle games as a genre have moved on in the twenty years since the original. That means nothing about it really stands out, either as a puzzle game or a Mario game. Still, that doesn't mean you won't have fun with it as you wait for Nintendo's next main-line Mario.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Mario vs. Donkey Kong has a lot of exciting puzzles to explore, and fans of the original will find excitement in the remake. With a welcoming difficulty curve, reworked graphics, and expanded gameplay, Mario vs. Donkey Kong kicks off the Switch's seventh year with a bang.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4 / 5

Cute, fun, head-scratching stuff.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3 / 5

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a fun, if unremarkable way to kill time while you wait for the Nintendo Switch 2.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - Unscored

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a worthwhile remake of a GBA classic. For the price, however, I would have expected more additional content or a more impressive visual presentation. Regardless of the price, Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a fun and addictive puzzle game. In the later levels, the game suffers from its imprecise controls and strange collision detection. At least these shortcomings can be counteracted with the new casual and co-op modes. I'm definitely hooked and hope that Nintendo will continue the series with a "real" sequel after the remake.

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 8.5 / 10

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong will provide hours of entertainment as long as you use your brain.

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - 4 / 5

This charming puzzle-platformer makes a welcome return.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 80%

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is more than a simple remake of the GBA original. Beside the fine modernized graphics there are more worlds and levels, a new co-op and dye speedrun mode. If you love the original or just a great combination of classic platformer and puzzle game, this remake should make its way to your Switch.

Game Informer - Charles Harte - 8 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a simple game, but as is the case with Mario's best titles, there's an elegance to that simplicity. Nintendo has done a stellar job adding features to make it more palatable to a modern audience, but it only comes together because of how well the classic levels hold up. Mario and Donkey Kong have been rivals for over 40 years, and this game admirably carries that legacy forward.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 7 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a simple puzzle platformer that doesn’t take itself too seriously. The game is highly accessible and shines thanks to its remade visuals. You won’t find yourself scratching your head at any of the puzzles but the easy-going gameplay is charming and great to play in co-op.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 7.5 / 10

Mario Vs Donkey Kong is a nice time for all, but those seeking major challenge or wholesale changes to the original might not find what they need here.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 82 / 100

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a nice remake of one of the most special and fun games in Nintendo history. The graphical and sound revamp and the co-op mode are fantastic. It may lack some incentive for veterans, but this game is a treat if you've never tried the original.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 7 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong might not be as polished as a Mini-Mario toy fresh off the assembly line, but it's just as full of charm and fun to play with.

IGN Italy - Andrea Peduzzi - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Starting with a video game released in 2004 and intended for the handheld market, Nintendo has done an excellent job, producing an intriguing and incredibly rich remake that provides hours of entertainment.

IGN Spain - Raquel Morales - Spanish - 8 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong for Switch is the perfect example of what 2D Mario means. A game that feels current despite already being 20 years old thanks to a completely renewed version graphically and with elements that favor its replayability. More strategic and fun puzzles that look better than ever.

LevelUp - Santiago Villicaña - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong is the perfect example of how Nintendo should remake all of its games. It has everything the original had but it adds a lot of content that looks better than ever.

Nintendo Insider - Alex Seedhouse - 9 / 10

Even 20 years on, Mario vs. Donkey Kong’s ingenuity in its puzzle design shines through – its Toy Box delightfully crammed with surprising gameplay elements that I haven’t seen in the puzzle genre since. Now that Mini-Marios are a hot ticket product once more, we can only hope that we won’t have to wait so long for another fun-packed puzzling adventure for the whole family.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 7 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong serves up a slick return to the 2004 GBA adventure that finds fresh fun in cooperative play. Yep, the new co-op mode really is the star of the show this time out and, alongside two new worlds, 'Plus' versions of each level, a Time Attack mode, and fancy new looks and sounds, there's plenty to dig into and enjoy with a core puzzle/platforming setup that has aged quite well. Just be aware that, if you're a more seasoned player looking for platforming challenges, this game finds its strengths as an experience for younger gamers or as a co-op title to enjoy with your kids. Taken as such, it absolutely earns a recommendation.

Nintendo News - nintendojam - 9 / 10

What used to be one of the best puzzle-platformers on the GBA is now one of the best on Switch. Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a faithful remake that goes above and beyond in just about every facet; whether you’ve already played the original or are completely new to the series. With modern graphics alongside brand new modes, levels, and features, it’s easy to recommend this charming remake based on one of the most iconic rivalries of all time. If you’re still not convinced, you can try out the free demo available now via the Nintendo eShop.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 6 / 10

Nintendo's latest remake is good fun but asking $65 for a remake of a short 2D puzzle game is asking a lot in these troubled times. Read on.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 7.5 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a great remake – implementing a strong shift in artistic direction, engaging co-op options and well-crafted puzzle and platforming elements. Co-op is an especially clever inclusion, and combined with difficulty options, broadens the appeal of an otherwise niche experience to a wider audience. While hardcore players might be let down by the lack of difficulty, Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a sensational update that fans of the series and even newcomers will enjoy.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

The gameplay is really good and the levels are perfectly designed for players of all ages. There's also no shortage of content, and 130 levels is a nice portion, although you could probably do with a few dozen more. The audio-visual design matches the game nicely. However, there are a few minor flaws and the price is quite high.

Screen Rant - Carrie Lambertsen - 4.5 / 5

Throughout 130 levels, Nintendo's puzzle-filled platforming game has just the right amount of increase in challenge as the game goes on, and plenty of surprises for players to discover. The variety of game mechanics and ways to solve puzzles are engaging and fun, and the game is incredibly difficult to put down as it is too easy to want to try just one more level. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong is a must-play for puzzle lovers, and is a perfect example of what a remake should be.

Shacknews - Josh Broadwell - 8 / 10

What changed and what remains the same in Mario Vs. Donkey Kong on Switch is a little confusing at times, and it raises the question of why a remake was the best choice and not a full new game. Still, "if it ain't broke" and all that. The original Mario Vs. Donkey Kong holds up nearly 20 years later, and nearly every new addition makes the already-strong puzzle game even better.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 7 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong is totally fine on the Switch, with levels and modes for players of all difficulty levels.

Spaziogames - Valentino Cinefra - Italian - 7 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong, while a good game, comes too late in the Nintendo Switch's lifecycle to stand out in the vast array of puzzle platformers, although the multiplayer adds an unexpected value.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 8.5 / 10

"Mario vs Donkey Kong... is an absolutely fantastic little puzzler."

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Not a platformer but a puzzle-platformer dating back to the now distant Game Boy Advance era, polished on Switch. This time, Mario will take you on a slightly different adventure, one that will test your jumping skills as much as your intuition and speed of execution. Over 130 levels (some of them unpublished) with secret challenges and direct clashes with Donkey Kong, an unmissable challenge for Nintendo fans.

Twinfinite - Matthew Carmosino - 4 / 5

Somersaulting through bite-sized puzzle rooms in search of Mini-Marios is even more of a treat than it was back on the GBA. While I’ll miss the dialogue that didn’t make it into the remake, I fully welcome the added stages and reworked music. I enjoyed my HD revisit of Mario vs. Donkey Kong quite a bit, even to the point of earning every Star in the game. While there’s not a lot here that will appeal to those who weren’t attracted by the original game, it’s still a solid remake that adds fun new stages and HD polish.

VGC - Andy Robinson - 3 / 5

Mario vs. Donkey Kong offers a notable step up in visual quality from its 20-year-old source material, but the same can't be said for the gameplay mechanics, which remain largely unchanged. While it will no doubt appeal to purists who loved the GBA original, those discovering it for the first time may find it too easy and not up to the same standards as modern, similarly priced Mario releases.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 7.8 / 10

I'm very happy that Mario vs. Donkey Kong was remade, especially considering just how darn cute it all is. Seeing as the core gameplay has held-up as well as it has and that there are a lot of challenges to overcome, it's one impressive package. 🏭

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong may lack the razzle dazzle of its stars’ more recent games, but this remake still has the power to hook players with its tried-and-true retro platforming and a finely-tuned difficulty curve that culminates in some challenges that will truly test your mind and reflexes. Those who have played the original Mario vs. DK to death may not find quite enough new content here, but lapsed fans and new players are in for a barrel of fun.

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 8.5 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong remains an enjoyable platform-puzzler as it did back on the Game Boy Advance, freshened up and featuring a small number of modern and welcome additions.

XGN.nl - Simon Kwee - Dutch - 8 / 10

Mario VS Donkey is back on the Switch after it's initial release on the GameBoy Advance in 2004. With revamped graphics and improved soundtrack it also has local co-op, new unlockable time attack game mode, difficulty selection and three unlockable worlds. There's much more under the hood than just the initial "simple paint job" visible when you start up the game. Read on for a more in-depth review of Mario VS Donkey Kong on Switch!

• Hype 1

Half way through world 4 and Idk if there is other stuff that opens up but this definitely seems pretty slight on content for $50!

That said it’s a lot of fun and kind of completely redeems what is now a pretty decent follow up than 94. I’d argue it actually needed the remake more as I could not stand how the original looked so never even played it enough to realize it’s an actual sequel and how small the minis are as a mechanic here.

94 is still enjoyable as is - though they should have combined both which would then make the price point make more sense. As is, it’s a very welcome remake for me, it just should have been $30.

53 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

DK '94 on Switch 2 for $70!

Just saw that someone who has released other colorizations of GB games is working on DK94 DX! Hopefully that’ll release this year, would be rad. 

Also I can’t believe that DK94 isn’t on Nintendo Online. I went to play it on Switch and have to use my deck instead which is just silly.

But also these things combined reminded me I need to get Super Mario land 1-3 DX hacks up and running later tonight. And there is a Kirby Dreamland one also.

So this is just kind of a remake of the old Game Boy Color one? With the key you had to get to the door by putting it on conveyor belts and shit?

Ugh, I played through all 100 levels of that or whatever it was back in the day. I don't know if I could get myself to do it again. To be completely honest, the game wasn't all that fun, but it was at a time when I only got what my parents bought me and I had to make due.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So this is just kind of a remake of the old Game Boy Color one? With the key you had to get to the door by putting it on conveyor belts and shit?

Ugh, I played through all 100 levels of that or whatever it was back in the day. I don't know if I could get myself to do it again. To be completely honest, the game wasn't all that fun, but it was at a time when I only got what my parents bought me and I had to make due.

No this is the gameboy advance sequel, before it turned into the Mario Minis series. I mean, a remake of that game with some extra levels and cg cinemas and stuff.

I’m out of town at the moment so I obviously didn’t pick up my copy from GameStop yet (physical forever!) so I instead pulled out my 3DS and played the original GBA version for a while.

Holds up pretty well, it’s still fun. DK’94 seems to have had more personality though. So I booted that up on 3DS and was having more fun with that one, haha.

• True 1

Game Information

Game Title: Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Feb 16, 2024)

Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 78 average - 79% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 90 / 100

A great return for a great GBA game. The number of new things and quality of life improvements makes this remake of Mario vs. Donkey Kong a must have.

Nintendo Insider - Alex Seedhouse - 9 / 10

Even 20 years on, Mario vs. Donkey Kong’s ingenuity in its puzzle design shines through – its Toy Box delightfully crammed with surprising gameplay elements that I haven’t seen in the puzzle genre since. Now that Mini-Marios are a hot ticket product once more, we can only hope that we won’t have to wait so long for another fun-packed puzzling adventure for the whole family.

Nintendo News - nintendojam - 9 / 10

What used to be one of the best puzzle-platformers on the GBA is now one of the best on Switch. Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a faithful remake that goes above and beyond in just about every facet; whether you’ve already played the original or are completely new to the series. With modern graphics alongside brand new modes, levels, and features, it’s easy to recommend this charming remake based on one of the most iconic rivalries of all time. If you’re still not convinced, you can try out the free demo available now via the Nintendo eShop.

Screen Rant - Carrie Lambertsen - 4.5 / 5

Throughout 130 levels, Nintendo's puzzle-filled platforming game has just the right amount of increase in challenge as the game goes on, and plenty of surprises for players to discover. The variety of game mechanics and ways to solve puzzles are engaging and fun, and the game is incredibly difficult to put down as it is too easy to want to try just one more level. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong is a must-play for puzzle lovers, and is a perfect example of what a remake should be.

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 8.5 / 10

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong will provide hours of entertainment as long as you use your brain.

IGN Italy - Andrea Peduzzi - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Starting with a video game released in 2004 and intended for the handheld market, Nintendo has done an excellent job, producing an intriguing and incredibly rich remake that provides hours of entertainment.

LevelUp - Santiago Villicaña - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong is the perfect example of how Nintendo should remake all of its games. It has everything the original had but it adds a lot of content that looks better than ever.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

The gameplay is really good and the levels are perfectly designed for players of all ages. There's also no shortage of content, and 130 levels is a nice portion, although you could probably do with a few dozen more. The audio-visual design matches the game nicely. However, there are a few minor flaws and the price is quite high.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 8.5 / 10

"Mario vs Donkey Kong... is an absolutely fantastic little puzzler."

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 8.5 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong remains an enjoyable platform-puzzler as it did back on the Game Boy Advance, freshened up and featuring a small number of modern and welcome additions.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Not a platformer but a puzzle-platformer dating back to the now distant Game Boy Advance era, polished on Switch. This time, Mario will take you on a slightly different adventure, one that will test your jumping skills as much as your intuition and speed of execution. Over 130 levels (some of them unpublished) with secret challenges and direct clashes with Donkey Kong, an unmissable challenge for Nintendo fans.

Everyeye.it - Riccardo Cantù   - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a good remake of a great classic.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 82 / 100

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a nice remake of one of the most special and fun games in Nintendo history. The graphical and sound revamp and the co-op mode are fantastic. It may lack some incentive for veterans, but this game is a treat if you've never tried the original.

Areajugones - Claudio Torres - Spanish - 8 / 10

It's a very faithful remake in terms of gameplay, with all the good and all the bad that comes with it. But the level design is still excellent, and the new worlds that this version brings are a breath of fresh air that suits it wonderfully. Mario's reduced mobility may shock those who are more accustomed to the plumber's big jumps and pirouettes in games that are purely platformers, but what makes Mario vs. Donkey Kong shine is its puzzles and the ingenuity behind them.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 8 / 10

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong is an excellent little pocket puzzler that is sure to please fans and newcomers alike.

COGconnected - James Paley - 80 / 100

The puzzles in this game are clever, well-constructed, and satisfying to solve. At the same time, the platforming can be frustrating. The jump mechanics take some getting used to, and the controls don’t have that Mario feel. But this too is a sort of puzzle to solve. You’ve got to learn the basics all over again, in a way. Once I accepted this, Mario vs Donkey Kong really opened up for me. I took my failures in stride. I pushed for perfection whenever possible. Soon enough I was having a great time. For longtime Mario fans new to this series, this new paradigm might take some adjustment. But I assure you, this investment of time and effort is worth it.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4 / 5

Cute, fun, head-scratching stuff.

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - 4 / 5

This charming puzzle-platformer makes a welcome return.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 80%

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is more than a simple remake of the GBA original. Beside the fine modernized graphics there are more worlds and levels, a new co-op and dye speedrun mode. If you love the original or just a great combination of classic platformer and puzzle game, this remake should make its way to your Switch.

Game Informer - Charles Harte - 8 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a simple game, but as is the case with Mario's best titles, there's an elegance to that simplicity. Nintendo has done a stellar job adding features to make it more palatable to a modern audience, but it only comes together because of how well the classic levels hold up. Mario and Donkey Kong have been rivals for over 40 years, and this game admirably carries that legacy forward.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 8 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a good addition to the Nintendo Switch library. Without being a masterpiece or a must-have, it's a good little game at a lower cost while we wait for flagship releases like Princess Peach: Showtime! or Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. What's more, it's not just a simple remake, and Nintendo has done what it takes to bring the series back to life.

IGN Spain - Raquel Morales - Spanish - 8 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong for Switch is the perfect example of what 2D Mario means. A game that feels current despite already being 20 years old thanks to a completely renewed version graphically and with elements that favor its replayability. More strategic and fun puzzles that look better than ever.

Shacknews - Josh Broadwell - 8 / 10

What changed and what remains the same in Mario Vs. Donkey Kong on Switch is a little confusing at times, and it raises the question of why a remake was the best choice and not a full new game. Still, "if it ain't broke" and all that. The original Mario Vs. Donkey Kong holds up nearly 20 years later, and nearly every new addition makes the already-strong puzzle game even better.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Maiellano - Italian - 8 / 10

Mario VS. Donkey Kong is an excellent re-release capable of properly debuting one of the most distinctive IPs in Nintendo's history. The "portable" nature of the production emerges very strong from the first moments of play, as well as, the moment you sit down in front of a monitor and start playing, the experience loses some of its magic by virtue of a strong redundancy of the proposed situations.

Twinfinite - Matthew Carmosino - 4 / 5

Somersaulting through bite-sized puzzle rooms in search of Mini-Marios is even more of a treat than it was back on the GBA. While I’ll miss the dialogue that didn’t make it into the remake, I fully welcome the added stages and reworked music. I enjoyed my HD revisit of Mario vs. Donkey Kong quite a bit, even to the point of earning every Star in the game. While there’s not a lot here that will appeal to those who weren’t attracted by the original game, it’s still a solid remake that adds fun new stages and HD polish.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong may lack the razzle dazzle of its stars’ more recent games, but this remake still has the power to hook players with its tried-and-true retro platforming and a finely-tuned difficulty curve that culminates in some challenges that will truly test your mind and reflexes. Those who have played the original Mario vs. DK to death may not find quite enough new content here, but lapsed fans and new players are in for a barrel of fun.

XGN.nl - Simon Kwee - Dutch - 8 / 10

Mario VS Donkey is back on the Switch after it's initial release on the GameBoy Advance in 2004. With revamped graphics and improved soundtrack it also has local co-op, new unlockable time attack game mode, difficulty selection and three unlockable worlds. There's much more under the hood than just the initial "simple paint job" visible when you start up the game. Read on for a more in-depth review of Mario VS Donkey Kong on Switch!

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 7.8 / 10

I'm very happy that Mario vs. Donkey Kong was remade, especially considering just how darn cute it all is. Seeing as the core gameplay has held-up as well as it has and that there are a lot of challenges to overcome, it's one impressive package. 🏭

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 7.5 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong has been remade nearly perfectly, and it's certainly great for any forgotten title to get an update and a facelift. The platforming is still tight, but the simple truth is that puzzle games as a genre have moved on in the twenty years since the original. That means nothing about it really stands out, either as a puzzle game or a Mario game. Still, that doesn't mean you won't have fun with it as you wait for Nintendo's next main-line Mario.

Destructoid - Eric Van Allen - 7.5 / 10

I could see myself blasting through levels of Mario vs. Donkey Kong while waiting for a flight at the airport, or on the train to work, and that’s the best-case scenario for this package, brimming with bite-sized platforming challenges. It may not contain all the spectacle of others, but there’s enough precise jumping and quick calculations here to satisfy the more hardcore, goal-oriented, score-chasing Mario players around.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 7.5 / 10

Mario Vs Donkey Kong is a nice time for all, but those seeking major challenge or wholesale changes to the original might not find what they need here.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 7.5 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a great remake – implementing a strong shift in artistic direction, engaging co-op options and well-crafted puzzle and platforming elements. Co-op is an especially clever inclusion, and combined with difficulty options, broadens the appeal of an otherwise niche experience to a wider audience. While hardcore players might be let down by the lack of difficulty, Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a sensational update that fans of the series and even newcomers will enjoy.

Cubed3 - Az Elias - 7 / 10

The asking price does feel disproportionate to what is on offer in Mario vs. Donkey Kong, even despite the host of additional levels that bring it past 130 in total, and its wonderful new presentation and cutscenes. Alongside 1994's Donkey Kong, though, this is the superior gameplay format for this series, which adopted more of a Lemmings approach in subsequent games, so interested folk should seek this one out at a more affordable price in the future.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 3.5 / 5

I had a lot of fun playing (or, more accurately, replaying) Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. It’s a brightly-coloured, wholesome good time, and the rare all-ages puzzle game that strikes the right balance between making sure that everyone that plays it feels smart, without being condescending about it. As much fun as it is, however, this is one of the most transient games that Nintendo has published in quite some time. You’ll play it, enjoy it, and very quickly forget about it because it is, ultimately, a remake of once of Nintendo’s most niche titles – a title that was niche for a very good reason.

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 7 / 10

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong brings the puzzle-platformer spin-off back to its roots, with clever improvements and a beautifully toyetic facelift.

GameXplain - Andre Segers - 7 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 7 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a simple puzzle platformer that doesn’t take itself too seriously. The game is highly accessible and shines thanks to its remade visuals. You won’t find yourself scratching your head at any of the puzzles but the easy-going gameplay is charming and great to play in co-op.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 7 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong might not be as polished as a Mini-Mario toy fresh off the assembly line, but it's just as full of charm and fun to play with.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 7 / 10

The world didn't real need a Mario Vs. Donkey Kong remake but this is still the absolute best effort Nintendo could've made, with tons of new content and the same enjoyable but undemanding puzzles as before.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 7 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong serves up a slick return to the 2004 GBA adventure that finds fresh fun in cooperative play. Yep, the new co-op mode really is the star of the show this time out and, alongside two new worlds, 'Plus' versions of each level, a Time Attack mode, and fancy new looks and sounds, there's plenty to dig into and enjoy with a core puzzle/platforming setup that has aged quite well. Just be aware that, if you're a more seasoned player looking for platforming challenges, this game finds its strengths as an experience for younger gamers or as a co-op title to enjoy with your kids. Taken as such, it absolutely earns a recommendation.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 7 / 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong is totally fine on the Switch, with levels and modes for players of all difficulty levels.

Spaziogames - Valentino Cinefra - Italian - 7 / 10

Mario vs. Donkey Kong, while a good game, comes too late in the Nintendo Switch's lifecycle to stand out in the vast array of puzzle platformers, although the multiplayer adds an unexpected value.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3 / 5

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a fun, if unremarkable way to kill time while you wait for the Nintendo Switch 2.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 6 / 10

Nintendo's latest remake is good fun but asking $65 for a remake of a short 2D puzzle game is asking a lot in these troubled times. Read on.

VGC - Andy Robinson - 3 / 5

Mario vs. Donkey Kong offers a notable step up in visual quality from its 20-year-old source material, but the same can't be said for the gameplay mechanics, which remain largely unchanged. While it will no doubt appeal to purists who loved the GBA original, those discovering it for the first time may find it too easy and not up to the same standards as modern, similarly priced Mario releases.

Chicas Gamers - Álvaro Bustío - Spanish - Unscored

Mario vs. Donkey Kong offers us the possibility, for anyone who could not at the time, to enjoy one of the most anecdotal titles for the Game Boy Advance, but updated for the current generation; and for everyone who played it (including myself), a series of extras such as a couple of new and challenging worlds and the possibility of playing it in the company of a second player locally. A recommendable game if you like puzzles, although we must warn that it is not a very challenging installment because if we are a little crafty, in about 8 hours we will have managed to complete it 100%. Of course, once the first round is done, the difficulty curve becomes much more pronounced once the new plus game has started. An adventure with which to spend a pleasant time in idle moments thanks to the brevity of its levels and where it is always a satisfaction to finish a level.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Mario vs. Donkey Kong has a lot of exciting puzzles to explore, and fans of the original will find excitement in the remake. With a welcoming difficulty curve, reworked graphics, and expanded gameplay, Mario vs. Donkey Kong kicks off the Switch's seventh year with a bang.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - Unscored

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a worthwhile remake of a GBA classic. For the price, however, I would have expected more additional content or a more impressive visual presentation. Regardless of the price, Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a fun and addictive puzzle game. In the later levels, the game suffers from its imprecise controls and strange collision detection. At least these shortcomings can be counteracted with the new casual and co-op modes. I'm definitely hooked and hope that Nintendo will continue the series with a "real" sequel after the remake.

Polygon - Oli Welsh - Unscored

Mario vs. Donkey Kong was directly inspired by Donkey Kong ’94 and features many of its mechanics, including the lock-and-key system and the Super Mario Bros. 2-style treatment of enemies. It’s a very solid puzzler, but it’s just not as inspired in its design as the older game. Until Nintendo decides to give its actual puzzle-platforming masterpiece an equally considered remake, though — or at least deigns to add it to the Game Boy collection on Switch Online — Mario vs. Donkey Kong will have to do.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mario vs. Donkey Kong | Coming February 16, 2024 - reviews from OpenCritic posted